Re: Series Thread: Brewers @ Dodgers 

Post#61 » by sdn40 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 am

First time in 3 months or some crazy time since the Dodgers lost a series
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,144

Post#62 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:33 pm

wichmae wrote:Pleasant surprise, but I want no part of playing that team in a series. God theyre deep.

I do. A series would mean not only did we make the "playoffs" but also the playoffs. And the season would go down as one of the more unexpected, shocking, and FUN! seasons in Wisconsin sports history. Yeah, sign me up for the Dodgers.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#63 » by wichmae » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:19 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
wichmae wrote:Pleasant surprise, but I want no part of playing that team in a series. God theyre deep.

I do. A series would mean not only did we make the "playoffs" but also the playoffs. And the season would go down as one of the more unexpected, shocking, and FUN! seasons in Wisconsin sports history. Yeah, sign me up for the Dodgers.

I was more saying if I had a choice. I get what youre saying though.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#64 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Arizona could beat LAD. I don't sense any inevitability about them being dominant in the playoffs. They're more like the 2001 Mariners than the 1998 Yankees.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#65 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm just enjoying watching good, meaningful baseball at the end of August.

Easy team to riot for. Fun to watch. I'm excited for the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,852

Post#66 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
Easy team to riot for.

Slow your roll. :lol:
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#67 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:01 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
Easy team to riot for.

Slow your roll. :lol:

Haha! Freudian slip?
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#68 » by Prickle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Prickle wrote:Also, at what point does Aguilar finally get a shot at being the everyday first baseman?

Thames still has an OPS of .921 against rhp's, whereas Aguilar is at .806 against them. Thames also has 3 months with an OBP over .360 (.354 total), whereas Aguilar has only 2 months over .310 (.331 total). I'm not a Thames guy or anything but let's not act like Aguilar is the answer either. Both of them benefit greatly from playing in a platoon. Both of them look pretty awful if you take away their best month. Also, you can't change your mind every month about which player is better. Just last month, Thames had an OPS of .861 and Aguilar was at .699. And Aguilar also had an OPS of .802 in his minor league career, which is kind of abysmal for a 1b (Thames was at .892).

They're a serviceable platoon and they're roughly equal players if you consider defense. They've been used perfectly and the Brewers have gotten much better production out of the 1b spot than you could have reasonably expected at the beginning of the year because of it.

I'm not saying Aguilar is the answer, but you can't say he isn't until you actually give him a chance. I guess my point was....that Thames has been given ample opportunities (even while struggling), and Aguilar has still only been picking up scraps - a rare LHP start, DH, or PH opportunity. I get how a LH/RH hitting platoons work - it always favors the LH hitter in terms of at-bats, but sometimes a platoon can simply mean riding the player who's hot, or who you feel gives you the best chance that day. It's not like Aguilar can't hit RHP, so how has he not been given the opportunity? I mean, Thames starts for weeks at a time, but its rare for Aguilar to even get back to back starts. How can you make an informed assessment on a player unless you give him consistent playing time?

As pumped up as we were about Thames to begin the season, I think we all now realize that he was a "flash in the pan" that has now become extremely average, to put it nicely. He's now striking out at a rate that makes Broxton and Villar look like contact hitters. Yet, inexplicably, instead of giving Aguilar more PT at 1st, Counsell has made Thames the lead off hitter. Lol

Return to Milwaukee Brewers