Re: Series: Cards @ Brewers 

Post#42 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm

Too close.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#43 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Needed that one to stay in all the races. Going to be a tough weekend series with Gio v Davies, Roark v Jimmy, TBA v Woodruff, Scherzer v Garza. Bryce being injured helps and Daniel Murphy is nursing nagging injuries as well.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#44 » by blazza18 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Surely Garza can **** off before Sunday?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#45 » by trwi7 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:01 pm

wichmae wrote:Needed that one to stay in all the races. Going to be a tough weekend series with Gio v Davies, Roark v Jimmy, TBA v Woodruff, Scherzer v Garza. Bryce being injured helps and Daniel Murphy is nursing nagging injuries as well.

ESPN has

Gio vs Davies
Roark vs Nelson
Woodrufff vs Scherzer
Garza vs Jackson

These are the starters the Rockies face the next two weeks according to ESPN

Walker
Corbin
Godley
Cueto
Bumgarner
Stratton
Darvish
Wood
Ryu
Maeda
Greinke
Walker
Corbin
Godley

If we're going to make up ground, the next two weeks are when it has to be because after that the Rockies get the Padres 7 times, the Giants 2, the Marlins 3 and then finish with the Dodgers who will have nothing to play for and will probably be resting starters and setting up their rotation for the playoffs.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,832

Post#46 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Whoa. That's quite a gauntlet for the Rockies. I still say they're the only team in playoff position that's not really better than the Brewers. I'd have mixed feelings about catching them and ending up 6-8 games behind Arizona though, which could easily happen if Zona dominates the Rockies. I despise that wild card elimination game enough that, if given a choice, I would be tempted to sacrifice the Brewers' berth just to get rid of it because I think it's kind of a disgrace.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#47 » by El Duderino » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, and speaking of the Mariners, they just assumed $55 million on a contract to take on Mike Leake. This may now become unrelated, but they just sent away a flawed, but good prospect to get Marco Gonzales and traded for a AAAA superstar in Albers and now this. Man, that was a real dire situation.

Seattle got back 17 million in the trade, as well as 750K in international slot money.

They still are paying Leake 38 million over the next four years, but the trade looks better at that number if he pitches closer to his days with the Reds.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#48 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:13 am

El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, and speaking of the Mariners, they just assumed $55 million on a contract to take on Mike Leake. This may now become unrelated, but they just sent away a flawed, but good prospect to get Marco Gonzales and traded for a AAAA superstar in Albers and now this. Man, that was a real dire situation.

Seattle got back 17 million in the trade, as well as 750K in international slot money.

They still are paying Leake 38 million over the next four years, but the trade looks better at that number if he pitches closer to his days with the Reds.

Agreed and what SEA is truly paying over the next three isnt all that bad for a back end guy. This is the exact reason Garza will have trade value.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#49 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:16 am

In general, Leake is very dependent on luck and defense. His velocity is down which does push him into some dangerous territory in terms of a guy that has to keep the ball on the ground and isn't going to overpower guys. He's one of those guys if his pitches that put the ball on the ground are on, he'll throw 4-5 gems in a row. If not, he's a gas can.

All of that said, not a terrible price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#50 » by trwi7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 am

Seattle literally needs anyone who can give them not terrible innings with Felix, Paxton, Smyly and Iwakuma out.

Their starters the last 5 games have been

Gallardo
Marco Gonzales
Andrew Albers
Erasmo Ramirez
Ariel Miranda

Even in the crap fest that is the AL wild card that isn't going to come close to getting it done.

I still can't believe they gave up Gohara for basically nothing, even if he likely doesn't help this year. Would've loved to have the Brewers get in on that.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#51 » by El Duderino » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:08 am

wichmae wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Agreed and what SEA is truly paying over the next three isnt all that bad for a back end guy. This is the exact reason Garza will have trade value.

I'm skeptical

He'll be 34 next year and he has a 4.77 ERA/1.436 WHIP, along with a poor K/BB ratio. Mix in he's averaging only a little over five innings per start, i wouldn't be so certain that another team trades for Garza even at 5 million and i don't want the Brewers stuck with him next year taking starts away from someone younger.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers