ImageImage

Brewers/Puffy Shirts Series

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Brewers/Puffy Shirts Series 

Post#21 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Regardless of what happens, I'll applaud Counsell for doing what's right and playing bullpen games from here on out whenever it's not Anderson, Davies, or maybe Woodruff starting. That's the smart way to finish this thing out in September when you've got a deep bullpen to withstand this.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#22 » by wichmae » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Braun is definitely showing signs of age. He used to be one of the best bad-pitch hitters I've ever seen. I remember Yount compared him to Edgar Martinez in pure hit tool. Still, it should be more even decline across situations. You can maybe expect some discrepancy because teams bring in some of their better relievers with RISP, but he's at a .176 BABIP with RISP. That's absurd bad luck.

I'm not sold at all on Thames or Aguilar. They're basically a platoon version of Chris Carter in my book. If it's an option, I would pseudo-platoon Walker and Braun there next year. I'd keep Sogard, but I'd give Villar a chance to reclaim some value as well. Phillips and Brinson would be starters. Braun and Perez would be back-up outfielders. If they don't get anything for Broxton, he could have a spot as well. The versatility of that roster would be pretty awesome.

I just dont see CC going along with that. He basically other than Arcia never relies on the young guys. We have Perez out there basically every day and hes an awful hitter. I see no way shape or form CC relegates Braun to a reserve role unless were 20 games under and its mandated we see the kids play. At some point here were either going to have to make room for these guys coming up or trade them away. If they were so adamant on keeping Brinson off the table for Sonny Gray then one would assume he's an everyday player next year. There just isnt enough spots for all these guys. Oakland is dying for a true CF and a Gossett or Graveman for Keon deal makes a ton of sense for both teams.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#23 » by wichmae » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Regardless of what happens, I'll applaud Counsell for doing what's right and playing bullpen games from here on out whenever it's not Anderson, Davies, or maybe Woodruff starting. That's the smart way to finish this thing out in September when you've got a deep bullpen to withstand this.

He did mention theyre going to fill a start or two with a call-up and with Jungmann on 40 already it may be him. That or you can 60 day Jimmy and add Wilkerson.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#24 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm

wichmae wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Regardless of what happens, I'll applaud Counsell for doing what's right and playing bullpen games from here on out whenever it's not Anderson, Davies, or maybe Woodruff starting. That's the smart way to finish this thing out in September when you've got a deep bullpen to withstand this.

He did mention theyre going to fill a start or two with a call-up and with Jungmann on 40 already it may be him. That or you can 60 day Jimmy and add Wilkerson.

Whoever starts that game needs to be on the shortest leash possible. Play the game situation but if it's a close game, keep just throwing bullpen arms at them.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#25 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:15 am

Did he just say Thames has 58 RBI with 30 HR? That almost doesn't seem possible to have such few RBIs with that many HRs.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,622

Post#26 » by blazza18 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 am

Hitting 2nd a lot and he's been poor with guys on base. Think Kris Bryant is the same this year too.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,953

Post#27 » by BUCKnation » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:30 am

Nice to have some bloops drop for once, especially against the Pirates
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#28 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

OH MY **** GOD! THAT THROW
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,953

Post#29 » by BUCKnation » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

Wow Phillips
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 989

Post#30 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 am

Damn, that kids got a decent arm.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
wichmae
RealGM

Post#31 » by wichmae » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:38 am

These kids have to play and play every day.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#32 » by El Duderino » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 am

wichmae wrote:These kids have to play and play every day.

I think it's a near lock Broxton is traded in the offseason.

That would leave Brinson/Braun/Santana/Phillips to split 162 games worth of starts.

Given Braun at best starts 110 games, that leaves about 50 starts for Phillips to fill in, along with starts when Brinson/Santana get days off or a tough righty is on the mound. There likely will also be rough stretches for Brinson where Phillips would get multiple starts in a row in CF.

So even if Phillips were technically a 4th OF next year, i think he'd end up with way more playing time than a typical 4th OF would. Something in the range of 350 or more at bats depending on his production, how Brinson performed, and Braun's health.

The main monkey wrench would be if Counsell used Perez often in the OF at the expense of Phillips.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#33 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:27 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Wow Phillips

Phillips should have been the every day CF (instead of the obnoxiously gross Hernan/Broxton/Villar platoon experiment) when he was originally called up and starting to come around with the bat. There is no reason not to blindly pencil him in the lineup every day for the rest of the year.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#34 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Let's pump the breaks a little bit here on this season's hindsight on Phillips.

He's gonna be a starter or pseudo starter (4-man rotation) in 2018, but if you want to give me the small sample of him looking pretty good the last few games, I will raise you the smallish sample that he's still striking out 40% of the time this season in the majors.

Broxton's been fine, though it can definitely be argued that he should have faced less righties (enter Phillips there in a platoon).
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#35 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Thought this was pretty funny.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#36 » by bizarro » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:40 am

It's a day later and I still am seeing that Brett Phillips throw from last night. What an absolutely phenomenal play. Catching the ball with his momentum going toward 1st base. Takes 2 steps to right himself. Laser beam. Out. Unreal.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers