ImageImage

2018 Brewers Discussion - Yelich Signing on Page 45

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: 2018 Brewers Discussion - Brewers Out On Darvish, pg 79. 

Post#1601 » by El Duderino » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I don't believe in Arietta, personally. Not at nine figures. Not at more than two years + a team option.

Just because we don't spend the money right now doesn't mean we can't spend the money in the future. Don't make the same mistakes as the Bucks. Don't overpay.

I agree

Let a guy like Woodruff pitch and see what we have in him. If Burnes does well again in the minors, maybe call him up mid-season.

As for free agents left, there is a chance someone like Cobb finds himself low on suitors and we could get him on the cheap. I want nothing to do with Lynn though or Arrieta beyond three years.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Brewers Discussion - Brewers Out On Darvish, pg 79. 

Post#1602 » by humanrefutation » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:51 pm

El Duderino wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I don't believe in Arietta, personally. Not at nine figures. Not at more than two years + a team option.

Just because we don't spend the money right now doesn't mean we can't spend the money in the future. Don't make the same mistakes as the Bucks. Don't overpay.

I agree

Let a guy like Woodruff pitch and see what we have in him. If Burnes does well again in the minors, maybe call him up mid-season.

As for free agents left, there is a chance someone like Cobb finds himself low on suitors and we could get him on the cheap. I want nothing to do with Lynn though or Arrieta beyond three years.

Yup.

If last season wasn't simply a flash in the pan - if it we really have a team that's on the cusp of being a serious contender, nothing will stop is from making moves in the future to help put us over the top. We have prospects we can choose to move. We have money to spend, according to Attanasio.

If we did overachieve last year, and some players just don't give us the same level of production this year, Arietta won't move the needle - and could possibly saddle us with an albatross contract that limits our ability to improve.

That's part of the reason why I wasn't high on the Cain signing. Yelich I could stomach, even as I thought we gave up a lot, because he's young and talented and cheap. Gotta hope Cain justifies the investment.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#1603 » by El Duderino » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

I agree

Yup.

If last season wasn't simply a flash in the pan - if it we really have a team that's on the cusp of being a serious contender, nothing will stop is from making moves in the future to help put us over the top. We have prospects we can choose to move. We have money to spend, according to Attanasio.

If we did overachieve last year, and some players just don't give us the same level of production this year, Arietta won't move the needle - and could possibly saddle us with an albatross contract that limits our ability to improve.

That's part of the reason why I wasn't high on the Cain signing. Yelich I could stomach, even as I thought we gave up a lot, because he's young and talented and cheap. Gotta hope Cain justifies the investment.

Plus, we don't know what we have in Nelson. He's a major wildcard in the team's future. Don't know either if Anderson can be as good as last year.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Re: 2018 Brewers Discussion - Brewers Sign Matt Albers, 2/$5M (pg 66) 

Post#1604 » by Tfence92 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 pm

trwi7 wrote:
bizarro wrote:
trwi7 wrote:It's even more dangerous to blow your load before you're ready.

I think that's a bigger danger the older one is, medically speaking. Given how young the Brewers are, premature load blowing is more due to exuberance than it is the health of the organization.

WE. AREN'T. YOUNG.

Tell that to Kidd... wait, wrong board.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

2018 Brewers Discussion - Brewers Out On Darvish, pg 79. 

Post#1605 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

El Duderino wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
I agree

Yup.

Plus, we don't know what we have in Nelson. He's a major wildcard in the team's future. Don't know either if Anderson can be as good as last year.

I do agree with both of you guys mostly, but I will say that if last year was a fluke, we’re probably 3 years away from doing anything again. In that case, Cain and Arrieta’s deals are almost over and we’ll have another set of young, cheap players. We can spend again in the next window.

I’m not saying that I’m chomping at the bit to overpay a huge free agent, but I don’t think Mark would sign himself over his budget for like a 5 year span this offseason. If he signed Arrieta, he has to think he can spend in a few years.

I don’t think we’re getting Arrieta anyways. If so, if it’s 4 years, I’d be a fan. 5 is pushing it.
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Re: 2018 Brewers Discussion - Brewers Sign Matt Albers, 2/$5M (pg 66) 

Post#1606 » by BallinBucks420 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 am

Bernman wrote:
trwi7 wrote:I think the worst thing we could do at this point is dig in even deeper for at best a chance at a one game playoff.

That's hyperbolic to claim that's the upside when they got close to that already last year and confirmation bias from always wanting to tank for numerous years regardless of sport. That plan here was already abandoned. Worst thing would do is to stop short of potential contender by not adding a possible ace, like the Bucks in not acquiring a starting center after offloading a 1st for Bledsoe earlier.

Agreed..look baseball isn't like other sports...The draft is always an inexact science but baseball its even worse...It really doesn't matter where your drafting you can find talent anywhere and it has a lot to do with how you handle your budget
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#1607 » by BallinBucks420 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:44 am

IF it comes to worst case scenario after this year and next and were not winning anything we have so many guys you could move for young contrallable talent...Its not like were stuck with bad contracts and **** players...if it goes worst case scenario you do what we did the last couple years before 2017
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#1608 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:53 am

Read on Twitter
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#1609 » by wichmae » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:54 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just dont buy it at this point. Unless were getting a major club friendly deal i dont think theyll do it. Heyman seems to be somewhat of a puppet for agents if you look at his tweet history.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#1610 » by BUCKnation » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:18 am

I like how he literally names every top pitcher available through trade or FA
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#1611 » by trwi7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 am

BallinBucks420 wrote:if it goes worst case scenario you do what we did the last couple years before 2017

So you do the exact same thing that didn't work the first time?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1613 » by wichmae » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Rosenthal also reported last night that our interest in Darvish was pretty overblown.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#1614 » by wichmae » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:27 pm

The other nugget he added was that we inquired about Jharel Cotton. At this point I just dont see any of the available guys as good enough to warrant a move. Especially the ones via trade. It just doesnt make much sense.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Post#1615 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:41 pm

I think they're still going to add an arm. Even if they know they can't catch the Cubs they likely have designs on going after those WC spots, as much as some people hate that strategy.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#1616 » by kid idioteque » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Haudricourt just making **** up and presenting it as fact.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Post#1617 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:41 pm

kid idioteque wrote:

Haudricourt just making **** up and presenting it as fact.

That was pretty much my take on it as well.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1618 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:44 pm

I have no idea what to think but I do think it’s at least feasible that Stearns wanted to seem more serious than he was because the Cubs are the benefactors of good management and a strange offseason where they were the only large market in play.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#1619 » by humanrefutation » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

wichmae wrote:Rosenthal also reported last night that our interest in Darvish was pretty overblown.

That's called saving face.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#1620 » by M-C-G » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm

At this point, keep ALL of our pitching prospects and add the best pitcher we can to like a three year deal even if you are paying more per year. Let Braun play first with Thames, let Villar, Sogaard and Perez battle it out at second and sign Lucroy to a modest two year deal assuming it is reasonable.

And let's just see where the chips fall.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers