ImageImage

2018 Brewers Discussion - Yelich Signing on Page 45

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Re: 2018 Brewers Discussion 

Post#181 » by trwi7 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:50 am

That was just MLBTR making a prediction on what team signs what free agent. There's no validity to it other than a guess by one guy.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#182 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Nov 3, 2017 12:59 pm

Ah gotcha. That certainly makes sense. I don't see that scenario happening so was a little thrown off.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,100

Post#183 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:09 pm

Whatever happened to Yo. He's only 31 but fell off a cliff the past 2 years.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,100

Post#184 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:11 pm

Just say no to Arrieta and any other 30+ pitcher that will get a mega deal.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#185 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:13 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Just say no to Arrieta and any other 30+ pitcher that will get a mega deal.

The only way to acquire a good/elite pitcher under 30 is to trade half of your farm system for one, develop your own, or give out a $100+ million contract the one time every 5 years that one becomes available that early. I am not dying to throw money at one of these guys but it should be an option, especially if it truly is that short of a contract.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Post#186 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 5:45 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, I just think that there's a reason that Aguilar was never in the majors until now. It appears he's grown into a decent MLB-caliber hitter if you need a right-handed platoon guy, but one that can't play defense is just not useful.

I mean the guy always had decent minor league numbers so it's not like this just came out of nowhere.

You call an .800 OPS in the minors for a slugger who is strictly a 1b, and barely even that, decent? That's actually pretty bad, like Matt Clark level bad. Guys like that are destined for Asia. Aguilar had a few key ab's that are really skewing a lot of opinions. He's likely to be dreadful. Take away his Coors Field ab's (3 home runs) and his OPS is under .800. For a guy who had the privilege of getting so many ab's against lhp's, that's terrible.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#187 » by mlloyd10 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:22 pm

Trade for Madison Bumgarner ( Brinson/Ortiz/Burnes/Diaz) and Dee Gordon(Villar straight up)
Sign Mike Moustakas(4/70)

Gordon - 2b
Santana - RF
Shaw - 3B
Moustakas - 1B
Braun - LF
Phillips- CF
Pina - C
Arcia - SS

Bumgarner
Anderson
Davis
Woodruff
Hader
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#188 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Nov 3, 2017 8:28 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Trade for Madison Bumgarner ( Brinson/Ortiz/Burnes/Diaz) and Dee Gordon(Villar straight up)
Sign Mike Moustakas(4/70)

Gordon - 2b
Santana - RF
Shaw - 3B
Moustakas - 1B
Braun - LF
Phillips- CF
Pina - C
Arcia - SS

Bumgarner
Anderson
Davis
Woodruff
Hader

Not a chance that that's enough to acquire either of those players.

I don't think the Giants are tearing it down, but I feel like Bumgarner would require a can't miss prospect, and I'm not sure Brinson qualifies as that.

The Marlins aren't going to just give away Gordon even if they want to shed payroll.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#189 » by Tfence92 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 6:53 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, I just think that there's a reason that Aguilar was never in the majors until now. It appears he's grown into a decent MLB-caliber hitter if you need a right-handed platoon guy, but one that can't play defense is just not useful.

I mean the guy always had decent minor league numbers so it's not like this just came out of nowhere.

You call an .800 OPS in the minors for a slugger who is strictly a 1b, and barely even that, decent? That's actually pretty bad, like Matt Clark level bad. Guys like that are destined for Asia. Aguilar had a few key ab's that are really skewing a lot of opinions. He's likely to be dreadful. Take away his Coors Field ab's (3 home runs) and his OPS is under .800. For a guy who had the privilege of getting so many ab's against lhp's, that's terrible.

Take away your uncle's balls and he'd be your aunt.

His OPS was near .900 vs LHP fwiw, and still over .800 vs RHP.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#190 » by wichmae » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:31 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Anybody hear rumor of Crew offering (or plan to) 4Y 100M to Arrieta?

Was off of MLBTR. Was just speculation. The Cubs havent even offered him QO or not yet. If he comes with a pick attached I dont like it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#191 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:11 pm

Tfence92 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:You call an .800 OPS in the minors for a slugger who is strictly a 1b, and barely even that, decent? That's actually pretty bad, like Matt Clark level bad. Guys like that are destined for Asia. Aguilar had a few key ab's that are really skewing a lot of opinions. He's likely to be dreadful. Take away his Coors Field ab's (3 home runs) and his OPS is under .800. For a guy who had the privilege of getting so many ab's against lhp's, that's terrible.

Do you know nothing about Aguilar's background or do you just have a huge man-crush on him for some reason? The guy was a full-time minor leaguer for 9 years, wasn't much younger than average in the vast majority of his games in MiLB, and managed a measly .802 OPS in that time, which includes over 4000 pa's. That's truly pathetic. But he manages an .837 OPS in 311 pa's in his rookie year and now all of a sudden he's an MLB 1b? That's just dumb. There's absolutely no reason to assume he deserves a roster spot on any but the most desperate, talent-starved team, like the Brewers were thought to be going into last year. Broxton has a .756 OPS in the minors and is extremely valuable as a defender and base-runner; why would a fat scrub like Aguilar deserve a roster spot over him? Even Matt Clark managed an .864 OPS in the minors in similar circumstances. Thames was at .892 and can play other positions.

His OPS against lhp's was basically .900, and against rhp's it was about .800. Yes, he was extremely lucky to be in a platoon, and to imply otherwise is... uh... asinine? That's not even the appropriate word there, but I'm trying to speak down to your language ability. And even with a blatant fluke year, his production was frankly pretty mediocre for a guy who can't really field any position.

And 3 hr's in 5 ab's at Coors is not cause for more skepticism? Really?? All in all this has been one of your worst efforts yet.
Tfence92
Starter

Post#192 » by Tfence92 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 4:51 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:You call an .800 OPS in the minors for a slugger who is strictly a 1b, and barely even that, decent? That's actually pretty bad, like Matt Clark level bad. Guys like that are destined for Asia. Aguilar had a few key ab's that are really skewing a lot of opinions. He's likely to be dreadful. Take away his Coors Field ab's (3 home runs) and his OPS is under .800. For a guy who had the privilege of getting so many ab's against lhp's, that's terrible.

Do you know nothing about Aguilar's background or do you just have a huge man-crush on him for some reason? The guy was a full-time minor leaguer for 9 years, wasn't much younger than average in the vast majority of his games in MiLB, and managed a measly .802 OPS in that time, which includes over 4000 pa's. That's truly pathetic. But he manages an .837 OPS in 311 pa's in his rookie year and now all of a sudden he's an MLB 1b? That's just dumb. There's absolutely no reason to assume he deserves a roster spot on any but the most desperate, talent-starved team, like the Brewers were thought to be going into last year. Broxton has a .756 OPS in the minors and is extremely valuable as a defender and base-runner; why would a fat scrub like Aguilar deserve a roster spot over him? Even Matt Clark managed an .864 OPS in the minors in similar circumstances. Thames was at .892 and can play other positions.

His OPS against lhp's was basically .900, and against rhp's it was about .800. Yes, he was extremely lucky to be in a platoon, and to imply otherwise is... uh... asinine? That's not even the appropriate word there, but I'm trying to speak down to your language ability. And even with a blatant fluke year, his production was frankly pretty mediocre for a guy who can't really field any position.

And 3 hr's in 5 ab's at Coors is not cause for more skepticism? Really?? All in all this has been one of your worst efforts yet.

It's not an effort at all lol but I love how easy you get pissed at the dumbest stuff.

I just love the stupid **** you say man! I mean, if Thames can play other positions than I guess Aguilar can play another too, 3B.

It's great how you jump to 10 conclusions off a 20 word post tho.
Tfence92
Starter

Post#193 » by Tfence92 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 5:04 pm

Here's me making an effort, albeit a small one cause I could care less about your stupid opinions.

Aguilar is far from great, his issue is that he can only play 1B (he's not playing 3B in the MLB) and that limits you for a bench option. However, to say he's not a good defensive 1B is indeed, uhh... asinine? He was not only an above average 1B, but he's sure as hell better than Thames; and to your previous point, no Thames cannot play other positions. If you want to argue that... then sure, Braun can play 3B and Villar is a CF.

Back to hitting wise... No one is expecting him to be a .300 hitter, or even .280. What he is, is a power hitting 1B who has 30-35 HR power and will take some walks. To go further, to discredit a guy who had a .850 OPS as a pinch hitter is just downright dumb. Throw in the fact that he is arbitration eligible for another 5? years lol...

But please, let's get rid of the guys that can hit, because our hitting last year was amazing.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#194 » by trwi7 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:02 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Whatever happened to Yo. He's only 31 but fell off a cliff the past 2 years.

Baseball Prospectus had an article I think right after Yo came up (might have been by Kevin Goldstein who now works for the Astros) and he said that he thought Yo would be a 2/3 starter until around age 30 and then fall off a cliff after that. I don't really remember the article or why he thought that but it was pretty spot on. All I remember was Brewers fans freaking out that he didn't think he would be an ace and be ineffective after age 30.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Tfence92
Starter

Post#195 » by Tfence92 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 3:40 am

Anyone willing to take a shot on Iwakuma?
trwi7
RealGM

Post#196 » by trwi7 » Sun Nov 5, 2017 6:29 am

37 with a **** up shoulder. Why even bother?

coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#197 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 1:31 am

trwi7 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Whatever happened to Yo. He's only 31 but fell off a cliff the past 2 years.

Baseball Prospectus had an article I think right after Yo came up (might have been by Kevin Goldstein who now works for the Astros) and he said that he thought Yo would be a 2/3 starter until around age 30 and then fall off a cliff after that. I don't really remember the article or why he thought that but it was pretty spot on.

Wasn't it mechanics? I could be thinking of someone else, but I thought it was that. I remember reading a really great article about pitching mechanics and how Strassburg was basically one of the worst while Greg Maddux was the best for pitching without risking injury.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#198 » by Outlander » Mon Nov 6, 2017 2:32 pm

Aguilar played his role to perfection last year and with Thames so bad against lefties it was great to have him as an option. Pinch hitting is always a small sample and can be a fluke but he did deliver in that role as well and he deserves credit for it. Just a real solid season that the Brewers got out of him last year. However, it does not mean it would translate well to him being a full time starter and I think he would probably fail big time if the Brewers ever went that route. You also can't ignore his nearly decade long career in the minors where he put up an OPS around 800 and also that he really didn't do all that well the second half of the year. Unless the Brewers get an upgrade from Thames at 1b or go the route of playing Braun at 1B against lefties I hope Aguilar has the same role on the Brewers next year. Now if there is a Jason Rogers type trade out there where somebody really like Aguilar then you pull the trigger and trade him.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#199 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 3:15 pm

Outlander wrote: Unless the Brewers get an upgrade from Thames at 1b or go the route of playing Braun at 1B against lefties I hope Aguilar has the same role on the Brewers next year.

It's tough to even justify a roster spot for a guy like that though. It prevents you from using double-switches as much as you'd like and makes it harder to have 13 pitchers, which I think would be to the Brewers' advantage if they had a more versatile guy than Aguilar to start at 1b against lhp's. Braun at 1b is obviously the dream but honestly if you consider the value of a roster spot in the equation instead of just comparing OPS's, you could almost justify Hernan being your 1b against lhp's. He has an OPS of nearly .800 against lhp's the last two years, which is obviously terrible for a 1b, but is Aguilar really likely to do much better? Then you have the option of moving him to a different position when you use Thames to pinch-hit after the starter is pulled. Hernan's defense could be superb at 1b as well. Combined with his positive base-running compared to Aguilar, that makes up at least some of the difference in production at the plate. The versatility and extra roster spot are the main thing though.
Outlander
Junior
And1: 68

Post#200 » by Outlander » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:33 pm

I like Perez but him at 1B is a pretty big downgrade offensively, I do think Aguilar hits 800 OPS easy at 1b against lefties and maybe 850, Perez will struggle to reach 800 against lefties as I don't think he has done that thus far in his career and his low on base will always make it a struggle. The great thing about Perez is he enables the Brewers to keep a guy like Aguilar as Perez will give solid defense pretty much everywhere except SS and probably CF. if the Brewers find a better option at 1B, great but I don't think Perez is that guy.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers