Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Re: 2017 Playoffs Discussion 

Post#81 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 am

trwi7 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
trwi7 wrote:**** Hernandez has a career .236/.312/.413 line. He has 3 home runs and 7 RBI this game. 7 RBI is one less run than the Cubs have in the series.

Wait. His name is ‘****’?

Well, it's Enrique and there's supposed to be an accent mark over the e but I didn't feel like figuring out the alt whatever number combination.

Haha. I think that’s pretty much how you have to spell it now.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#82 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 am

Maddon should've brought in a few more magicians I guess.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#83 » by trwi7 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 am

Iheartfootball wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
Wait. His name is ‘****’?

Well, it's Enrique and there's supposed to be an accent mark over the e but I didn't feel like figuring out the alt whatever number combination.

Haha. I think that’s pretty much how you have to spell it now.

Honestly surprised realgm doesn't block it out. They block out every other word.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,943

Post#84 » by BUCKnation » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 am

Another bonus is that it was Quintana who blew up today.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#85 » by El Duderino » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:49 am

trwi7 wrote:**** Hernandez has a career .236/.312/.413 line. He has 3 home runs and 7 RBI this game. 7 RBI is one less run than the Cubs have in the series.

Just goes to show the randomness which can happen in the playoffs. That Dodgers lineup today didn't exactly have a bunch of really good to great hitters, yet they score 11 runs.

Even a few guys on their team like Chris Taylor and Brandon Morrow went from spare parts when the season started to major contributors.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#86 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:07 pm

El Duderino wrote:

Just goes to show the randomness which can happen in the playoffs. That Dodgers lineup today didn't exactly have a bunch of really good to great hitters, yet they score 11 runs.

Even a few guys on their team like Chris Taylor and Brandon Morrow went from spare parts when the season started to major contributors.

For whatever it's worth, for twirly who was blasting the Dodgers' lineup earlier in the series on twitter :D , as we all know, Friedman loves his platoons.

Hernandez is .270/.364/.518 career against lefties. .883 OPS.

Quintana started and he hit one off of Montgomery. I know that one of them came off of a righty, but that's what the Dodgers have done. As the year went by and guys like Taylor emerged as an everyday player, Puig started to return to form, and Bellinger emerged, the platoons shrunk a bit, but the Dodgers utilize the hell out of their 40 man roster to bring up reserve relievers and platoon split hitters to get the job done. They seem to have about 10-15 relievers on their 40 man that just come up and down for matchups all season. They had a bunch of guys there were castoff righty batters on their 40 the last few years to just come up when they had a long string of lefties that they faced during the season.

Taylor was once a pretty highly regarded prospect that the Dodgers fixed a loop in his swing, apparently.

Yasmani Grandal only hit well from his left side of the plate early in his career at San Diego but was somewhat cast off with lesser numbers than the Padres were hoping for. Go figure, the Dodgers made him into a useful player with a platoon early in his career. The last few years he's started to play against lefties a bit more often but they still utilize his strong side mostly.

In 2017, all of these teams know about platoons, but some still don't have the wherewithal that the Dodgers do to make things work. It doesn't hurt that they have unlimited resources.

Ethier/Hernandez, Pederson/Granderson/Taylor (moves to SS with Seager right now out against RHP), Utley/Forsythe, Grandal/Barnes. They've got the means to make this work. Of course, the Brewers probably wouldn't be able to scoop up all of these vets in said platoons or hold on to Ethier's $17 million/year to basically just return for the playoffs.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#87 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Dusty given the boot
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#88 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Dusty given the boot

Hilarious watching the national writers complain and say it's because the Nats are cheap.

It could very well be bad luck as to why they keep flaming out, but you might as well try something different. People are pointing to his record. With the Nats, he's been in the worst division in baseball depth-wise with several Cy Young candidate pitchers and MVP hitters. I could manage that team to 90+ wins.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,519

Post#89 » by Profound23 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:20 pm

So would Verlander have been enough to make the postseason?

If so how far would we have gone?
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#90 » by wichmae » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Profound23 wrote:So would Verlander have been enough to make the postseason?

I dont think so. Our offense was the problem down the stretch. The pitching was productive. Verlander would not have made the difference IMO
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,008

Post#91 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Haven't watched any of the playoffs but go Astros if not to make that SI cover factual.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,519

Post#92 » by Profound23 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:02 pm

wichmae wrote:

I dont think so. Our offense was the problem down the stretch. The pitching was productive. Verlander would not have made the difference IMO

He wouldn't even have gotten us 1 or 2 more wins? I'm not asking like I know the answer.....just think that would be weird if we acquired a pitcher of that status for basically nothing who just won the swing game to get his team to the world series and it wouldnt be good enough for us to win 1 or 2 more games and at least make the postseason.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#93 » by wichmae » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm

Profound23 wrote:
wichmae wrote:

He wouldn't even have gotten us 1 or 2 more wins? I'm not asking like I know the answer.....just think that would be weird if we acquired a pitcher of that status for basically nothing who just won the swing game to get his team to the world series and it wouldnt be good enough for us to win 1 or 2 more games and at least make the postseason.

Verlander cost the Astros a ton in terms of prospects. It’s hard to determine in the grand scheme because it wasn’t the starting pitching at all that inhibited the team. The offense was awful. Remember starters only truly influence one game every 4-5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
trwi7
RealGM

Post#94 » by trwi7 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:21 pm

If Verlander pitched like he did with the Astros with us, then yes we would've made it to the wildcard. Is the cost in terms of prospects worth a shot at winning one game on the road and then playing the Dodgers if you do? Probably not.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

trwi7
RealGM

Post#95 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:07 am

This is going to be a nice, stress free World Series. Would prefer the Astros win just because they've never won one but wouldn't mind if the Dodgers won either.

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#96 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm

I didn't hate the Cubs or Yankees. Most of the players seem like decent guys and their teams got here mostly by building from within, like any team should have to do. But I am happy that it worked out this way. More importantly, it's the two best teams, and in their own way they both have styles of play I really like. Looking forward to this one a lot.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,337

Post#97 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm

It's suppose to be around 100 at first pitch tonight.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#98 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's suppose to be around 100 at first pitch tonight.

Love the Fall Classic.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 986

Post#99 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 am

wichmae wrote:it wasn’t the starting pitching at all that inhibited the team. The offense was awful. Remember starters only truly influence one game every 4-5 days.

Definitely agree with the offense being the issue, not the starting pitching. However, I do believe it can impact more than just one game. If you have a starter who can't go more than 4 innings, it eats up the bullpen and that could have an impact on the next game as well in the form of guys not being available. A stud SP that can essentially give your bullpen the night off more often than not could give you more options for the following game, which could be the difference between a win and a loss.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#100 » by El Duderino » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 am

What a great game. I turn it on in the 8th with Jansen on the mound up 3-1 and think it's over, then both teams start bashing homers left and right.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers