ImageImage

2018 ATL Offseason Thread - Trout 12/$430 million

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2018 Around the League 

Post#41 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:34 pm

The Angels went from putting all of their eggs in the basket of the next 3 years with no farm system and probably still only being an 85 win team in those 3 years.

Now they may have a legit contender and also a stud prospect for the future. Impressive.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Around the League 

Post#42 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 8, 2017 7:43 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I love it.

Me too. So happy he's not a cub. Now lets keep Stanton out of the central and some bullets will be dodged.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#43 » by wichmae » Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:11 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:The Angels went from putting all of their eggs in the basket of the next 3 years with no farm system and probably still only being an 85 win team in those 3 years.

Now they may have a legit contender and also a stud prospect for the future. Impressive.

Their system is quite improved even without Ohtani. They had a really impressive last two drafts. Especially last year. They arent the laughing stock they used to be. SF, KC, MIA, and CHI are awful systems.

Yes though this makes them a very dangerous team going forward.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#44 » by humanrefutation » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:01 am

I don't care if Stanton ends up a Yankee. The fact that he rejected the Cardinals cracks me up.

I have a feeling that we're gonna be laughing at what Jeter gets in return for him.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#45 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 1:46 pm

Stanton to the Yankees for scraps is the kind of sh*t that makes it hard for me to really get into baseball. No trade clause and three to five teams that can afford to pay him. Such an unfair advantage and the small market teams basically have to hit the lottery to ever have a chance.
Do it for Chuck
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,863

Post#46 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Dec 9, 2017 2:45 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Stanton to the Yankees for scraps is the kind of sh*t that makes it hard for me to really get into baseball. No trade clause and three to five teams that can afford to pay him. Such an unfair advantage and the small market teams basically have to hit the lottery to ever have a chance.

This is kind of a strange spot for this take given that the small market team 100% screwed themselves over in this situation giving him the contract and no trade clause. They did this to themselves.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,487

Post#47 » by Profound23 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:07 pm

Stanton and Judge together is going to be crazy
DrinkyPoo
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#48 » by DrinkyPoo » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:29 pm

Yeah, Stanton and Judge together is gonna be nuts. With the Yanks taking on the Stanton deal, that almost assuredly takes them out of play for Harper, no? Glad Cubs didn't get Stanton but Harper to Chicago seems inevitable down the line.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#49 » by wichmae » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:11 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Stanton to the Yankees for scraps is the kind of sh*t that makes it hard for me to really get into baseball. No trade clause and three to five teams that can afford to pay him. Such an unfair advantage and the small market teams basically have to hit the lottery to ever have a chance.

This is kind of a strange spot for this take given that the small market team 100% screwed themselves over in this situation giving him the contract and no trade clause. They did this to themselves.

Yeah this is 100% correct. Miami did this to themselves. The issue with baseball is team being foolish when they dont have the revenue to be ultimately competitive and trend in mediocrity. Piss poor drafting has hurt this team for a long while too. IN the entire existence of the franchise theyve hit on maybe 5 FRP's. Charles Johnson, Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Fernandez, and Yelich. YOu could try and argue Andrew Heaney and Mark Kotsay. They completely screwed the Miggy Cabrera trade. Josh Johnson's arm fell off. They never cashed in on Hanley. Their ineptness killed that franchise with terrible ownership. However they have two more WS wins than we do so theres that.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#50 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:50 pm

wichmae wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:

Yeah this is 100% correct. Miami did this to themselves. The issue with baseball is team being foolish when they dont have the revenue to be ultimately competitive and trend in mediocrity. Piss poor drafting has hurt this team for a long while too. IN the entire existence of the franchise theyve hit on maybe 5 FRP's. Charles Johnson, Josh Beckett, Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Fernandez, and Yelich. YOu could try and argue Andrew Heaney and Mark Kotsay. They completely screwed the Miggy Cabrera trade. Josh Johnson's arm fell off. They never cashed in on Hanley. Their ineptness killed that franchise with terrible ownership. However they have two more WS wins than we do so theres that.

While this is true, other small markets are paying for their ineptitude. In the NFL you can make a mistake and cut ties soon after. In the NBA with their salary cap it limits the amount of mistakes you can make. Long story short, when the small fish f*ck up, there's only a handful of great whites that can swoop in and eat like kings.
Do it for Chuck
wichmae
RealGM

Post#51 » by wichmae » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:07 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
wichmae wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:This is kind of a strange spot for this take given that the small market team 100% screwed themselves over in this situation giving him the contract and no trade clause. They did this to themselves.

While this is true, other small markets are paying for their ineptitude. In the NFL you can make a mistake and cut ties soon after. In the NBA with their salary cap it limits the amount of mistakes you can make. Long story short, when the small fish f*ck up, there's only a handful of great whites that can swoop in and eat like kings.

IM not sure that really applies as much with revenue sharing. The entire "shark" situation is because Stanton has a NTC and now the owner of that team is a former Yankee great. I disagree that its that extreme as it used to be. In fact the Yankees want MIA to take bad contracts back. Miami completely screwed themselves over the better portion of a decade. Teams with piss poor management get in terrible places and it takes massive moves to get them out of it. Tigers are another example. Same for Toronto. Both are upper markets and both franchises are in atrocious spots because of management. Not because of the sport.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#52 » by wichmae » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:17 pm

ETA: Theyre stupid for taking Castro but Guzman and Devers are decent gets.
That Miami team is going to lose 100+. I would really try and pry Realmuto and Barraclough from them.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#53 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Dec 9, 2017 7:21 pm

In the marlins case specifically they made a ton of mistakes.

But I do get the general frustration of small or even mid market teams how its extremely hard to keep your true superstar tallent and if you do its damn near impossible to surround them with decent tallent. But unless there is drastic changes to how teams share revenue and some type of at least soft cap this isnt going to change so teams need to deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#54 » by GB_Packers » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah, can’t really be too upset about this, outside of the Yankees yet again being on the winning end of something. Marlins screwed themselves here.

Stanton and Judge in Yankee Stadium will combine for like 120 home runs at least. Then add in a few of their other guys that can slug as well. Good luck to all the pitching staffs facing them!
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#55 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:08 pm

DrinkyPoo wrote:Yeah, Stanton and Judge together is gonna be nuts. With the Yanks taking on the Stanton deal, that almost assuredly takes them out of play for Harper, no? Glad Cubs didn't get Stanton but Harper to Chicago seems inevitable down the line.

Maybe they won’t go after Harper due to a loaded OF (though they could make it work with DH or moving Judge or Stanton to 1B)...

But they are gonna get under the luxury tax threshold this year and have plenty of room to go after Donaldson or Machado or Keuchel if it isn’t Harper with much less penalty than they’d have had.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2018 Around the League 

Post#56 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:09 pm

wichmae wrote:ETA: Theyre stupid for taking Castro but Guzman and Devers are decent gets.
That Miami team is going to lose 100+. I would really try and pry Realmuto and Barraclough from them.

Taking Castro was a necessity so that the Yankees could get under the luxury tax threshold, which was a major motivation for them.

Castro has enough value that they can probably flip him later.

If the Yankees said, “we’ll take $260 million off your hands if you take Castro” you take Castro.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#57 » by El Duderino » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:30 am

Not entirely true.

Yankees haven't won a title or been to the World Series in quite awhile. This year was Dodgers first World Series since 1988. Cubs went 71 years without going. Yet Kansas City was in it back to back in 2014/2015. Cleveland in 2016 and they won 102 games this year. Even the Astros only had the 18th highest payroll as they just won it all.

Money certainly helps, but smart team building matters a lot in baseball.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#58 » by crkone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#59 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm

El Duderino wrote:

Not entirely true.

Yankees haven't won a title or been to the World Series in quite awhile. This year was Dodgers first World Series since 1988. Cubs went 71 years without going. Yet Kansas City was in it back to back in 2014/2015. Cleveland in 2016 and they won 102 games this year. Even the Astros only had the 18th highest payroll as they just won it all.

I dunno about that take. Yeah, there are always 2-3 good smaller market teams and they rotate. You can win as a smaller market team, no doubt.

What you said above is like a Lions or Browns fan saying that "the Packers aren't at a huge advantage with Aaron Rodgers. They've only won 1 Super Bowl in his timeframe."

If the Astros were a small market, they'd have to blow this thing up in 2 years. I'm not sure the Astros get Verlander, McCann, or Reddick if they're a small market. They'd have to be planning for 2019 as well as trying to win in 2017.

The problem is that it's so easy for the bigger markets to consistently win because they can just turn their payroll back around.

The Cubs have made the playoffs 6 times since 2000. Red Sox 9. Yankees 14. Giants 7. Cardinals (always a top 10 payroll even while being run well) 12. Dodgers 9. Angels 7.

The Brewers are moderately well run and made it twice and it took a miracle one of the times to make it.

The bigger markets have anywhere between a 3 and 5 times better chance to win a title on average. They're always in the playoffs. The small market teams just rotate and fill the other 2-3 spots in the playoffs when they draft and build well.

So yeah, you can be a well-run small market team but you have a 3 year window to win it all in your decade if you've got it right. The bigger markets have a chance every other year, on average.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,214

Post#60 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:31 pm

El Duderino wrote:

Not entirely true.

The Royals were the exception. It's big market teams that usually win it.

2017 Houston Astros
2016 Chicago Cubs
2015 Kansas City Royals
2014 San Francisco Giants
2013 Boston Red Sox
2012 San Francisco Giants
2011 St. Louis Cardinals
2010 San Francisco Giants
2009 New York Yankees
2008 Philadelphia Phillies
2007 Boston Red Sox
2006 St. Louis Cardinals
2005 Chicago White Sox
2004 Boston Red Sox
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers