ImageImage

2018 Spring Training Thread: ST Games Start Today - 2/23

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Re: 2018 Spring Training Thread: ST Games Start Today - 2/23 

Post#261 » by Wisky4life » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 pm

We should make a last minute trade. Hate to just cut a guy for nothing.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#262 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Choi seems like their insurance for when aguilar doesn't clear waivers a week or so from now. Gives them a body to bring up when braun and/or thames get hurt.

I wonder if they get some minor asset like international bonus money for aguilar from a team lower on the waiver wire that wants him. He has some value as a bench bat especially for an AL team.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,962

Post#263 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#264 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't mind that strategy, but it is somewhat strange to put your eggs in that basket.

The plus side is that I do think the Cubs were far superior regardless so if we're 10 games back at the deadline, maybe it was for the better.

On the negative side, if they're gonna be "all in" they could either hit the deadline and what they think would've been there isn't there or worse, they hit the deadline at 10 games back and feel obligated to make the move and stupidly dump half the farm to miss the playoffs anyways.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#265 » by ReddRum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Choi seems like their insurance for when aguilar doesn't clear waivers a week or so from now. Gives them a body to bring up when braun and/or thames get hurt.

I wonder if they get some minor asset like international bonus money for aguilar from a team lower on the waiver wire that wants him. He has some value as a bench bat especially for an AL team.

Wait? We are going to let Aguilar walk? Stupid decision if thats true...
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#266 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:23 pm

ReddRum wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Choi seems like their insurance for when aguilar doesn't clear waivers a week or so from now. Gives them a body to bring up when braun and/or thames get hurt.

Terrible defense, check.
Zero positional versatility, check.
Only can hit lefties, check.
Regressed majorly in the 2nd half of the season, check.

He'd be an OK platoon DH but I don't see anyone in the AL paying for that. They'll just pick him up after the Brewers DFA him.

If Aguilar had to be an everyday 1B, he'd be probably bottom 5 in baseball and would be worse than several backups.
ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Post#267 » by ReddRum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReddRum wrote:

Terrible defense, check.

He'd be an OK platoon DH but I don't see anyone in the AL paying for that. They'll just pick him up after the Brewers DFA him.

If Aguilar had to be an everyday 1B, he'd be probably bottom 5 in baseball and would be worse than several backups.

I'm happy to hear that and I trust your judgment. I don't follow as closely as some, and only get to see the shallow stats. He has just always seemed to be a clutch hitter when I get to watch the Brewers and I'm not sure what to think about Thames. What are your thoughts on Thames this year??
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#268 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:07 pm

ReddRum wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReddRum wrote:

Terrible defense, check.

I'm happy to hear that and I trust your judgment. I don't follow as closely as some, and only get to see the shallow stats. He has just always seemed to be a clutch hitter when I get to watch the Brewers and I'm not sure what to think about Thames. What are your thoughts on Thames this year??

Thames is basically Aguilar but he hits from the better side of the plate. You're right that his lack of contact at times can be "anti-clutch" but over the course of the year, I can take it. He also can play OF in a pinch and is a slightly better fielder.

They should be platooning given what they have so Thames is fine though not ideal. They have other options for the RH side of the platoon (the short side) and Aguilar is the odd man out, because he is only somewhat valuable 30% of the time.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#269 » by bizarro » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:06 am

Another season with 'Ducky' in the pen just gives me early onset reflux. Man oh man. Here's hoping he far exceeds my expectations.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,071

Post#270 » by Wisky4life » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 am

I'd rather trade for a pitcher now than at the deadline. But probably what our record is what we do at the deadline.
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd

Return to Milwaukee Brewers