ImageImage

Brewers @ Rockies Series Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Re: Brewers @ Rockies Series Thread 

Post#121 » by wichmae » Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 am

trwi7 wrote:Keep Peralta in the rotation and call up Burnes.

As of this very second I dont know I agree with that. Super two projections are May 13-June 4. I dont want to take any chances creating a super two especially with pitchers. I think we still have a month to be patient.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,383

Post#122 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah that extra year isn't worth the risk
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#123 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon May 14, 2018 3:47 pm

wichmae wrote:

As of this very second I dont know I agree with that. Super two projections are May 13-June 4. I dont want to take any chances creating a super two especially with pitchers. I think we still have a month to be patient.

I get this and it's why baring more starting pitching injuries burnes is going to stay down.

Peralta I would leave in the rotation for now. They need a starter. Now it probably works itself out where he struggles at some point and he goes back down for more aaa work and to limit his innings. But even if he's just awesome and never goes down I think they would take that scenario as a win even if they have to pay him a year early. You don't lose a year of team control.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#124 » by M-C-G » Mon May 14, 2018 4:15 pm

wichmae wrote:
Bernman wrote:I see a young Yovani Gallardo so far. Low to mid 90's fastball, good location, sets up hitters, calm demeanor, neither overly big. How is the offspeed stuff? The inning I've seen he's throwing heavily fastballs.

Gallardo had better stuff and more pitches than Freddy does. He's probably a weird mix of Archer and Gallardo with a little bit of Stroman delivery slid in. He hits spots but can get wild. Hides ball well but can elevate and get hit hard when he loses his mechanics. The future of this teams rotation is really, really bright.

Just to really put in perspective how well weve done with developing pitching him and Herrera who we got for Lind would probably be top 8 system and top pitchers in Seattle's system. We also got Missaki who's coming off 2nd TJ this year in that deal.

First time I had seen him pitch and just kept thinking, how are guys just missing 92 mph pitches right down the middle of the plate? But they did. I feel like Freddy could have a tough time getting through the line up once hitters start to see more of him long term. But that was pretty awesome to watch.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#125 » by trwi7 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

wichmae wrote:

Pitchers get hurt a lot. Trying to save a couple million bucks several years down the road is probably pointless. Especially since Burnes is already 23. No point in holding him back.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#126 » by wichmae » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

trwi7 wrote:
wichmae wrote:

Pitchers get hurt a lot. Trying to save a couple million bucks several years down the road is probably pointless. Especially since Burnes is already 23. No point in holding him back.

Sure he's 23 but he's only a 2016 draftee. We arent even two full years as a pro. Burnesis way ahead of his projected timeline but theres no need to rush him to the bigs just because.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#127 » by trwi7 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Who's rushing anything? He's dominated every level and it dominating in his starts that aren't in Colorado Springs. What exactly is he learning in the minors at this point?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#128 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon May 14, 2018 10:07 pm

If I'm understanding it correctly, if he is called up after June 4, he's in the clear for super 2?

If so, while I agree with twirly, we've come this far and I don't think 2-3 starts from Suter or Guerra instead of Burnes is going to be that huge of a difference. Maybe even space out Burnes' starts in the minors over the next 2 weeks to save some innings for later in the year.

*Waits for the "well, what if we miss the playoffs by 1 game" stuff*
wichmae
RealGM

Post#129 » by wichmae » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 am

trwi7 wrote:Who's rushing anything? He's dominated every level and it dominating in his starts that aren't in Colorado Springs. What exactly is he learning in the minors at this point?

The sample size is small. There really is no reason to push him to MLB right now and start his service time when were basically at a point where we can be patient. He's had 7 AAA starts and hasnt even been a pro two full seasons yet. Theres no need to force the issue. Theres a super 2 clock, a 40 man issue, a 25 man issue. Theres little reason to push a guy who was in high A a calendar year ago.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#130 » by El Duderino » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 am

wichmae wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Who's rushing anything? He's dominated every level and it dominating in his starts that aren't in Colorado Springs. What exactly is he learning in the minors at this point?

The sample size is small. There really is no reason to push him to MLB right now and start his service time when were basically at a point where we can be patient. He's had 7 AAA starts and hasnt even been a pro two full seasons yet. Theres no need to force the issue. Theres a super 2 clock, a 40 man issue, a 25 man issue. Theres little reason to push a guy who was in high A a calendar year ago.

And the starting pitching has been solid enough to let Burnes get past the super 2 clock. Offense has been the problem.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers