Cardinals @ Brewers Series Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Re: Cardinals @ Brewers Series Thread 

Post#101 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Great decision, Counsell.

Great two pitches by Knebel to end it. The curve, then the fastball smoked past the batter.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#102 » by Jollay » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Knebel does seem to have recovered some gas....SERIES WIN
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,911

Post#103 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 pm

I can't even handle a random regular season game like this in May. I don't know how I would survive this in the NLCS or something.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Six straight series wins. Five of the six against winning teams.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#105 » by Iheartfootball » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Two outta three ain't bad.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#106 » by Bernman » Wed May 30, 2018 8:45 pm

books wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:The pitch marker seems off.

Just started watching in the 9th, it does seem off. The 4-pitch walk looked like 3 strikes. Commentators thought so too.

Yeah, it wasn't anywhere near where the ball was entering the glove. I know Hader throws at an angle but not that much. I think it was off, he was being squeezed, and it contributed to the relative struggles. Without that we're talking another k, maybe 1 runner on base, and finishing the game.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Bernman
RealGM

Post#107 » by Bernman » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

books wrote:Great decision, Counsell.

Great two pitches by Knebel to end it. The curve, then the fastball smoked past the batter.

It's not a good decision either way by the #'s. Hader has been dominant this year, Knebel has been poor, and last year was the only one where he was particularly good. Odds are even a bad pitcher is going to get the out required on one batter over 50% of the time. He started him 3-1. Hader was getting squeezed. Had 4 k's still. Allowed an infield hit and had a fielder's choice where he could have had a double play. His season speaks for itself. If he's not totally over-worked you have to allow him to finish the game off.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#108 » by kid idioteque » Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

EAT IT, CARDS!!
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#109 » by trwi7 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

*Waits for LuckyLoydWalton's awful pun*
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#110 » by kid idioteque » Wed May 30, 2018 8:49 pm

trwi7 wrote:This is not hindsight. Taking Hader out to go with Knebel is a really, really stupid move.

Yeah, very bad. I'm happy it worked out but you either stick with Hader or bring Albers in.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,325

Post#111 » by jute2003 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 pm

When has baseball ever made enough sense to assume outcomes before the game starts?
only a fan, only an opinion
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Bernman wrote:

It's not a good decision either way by the #'s. Hader has been dominant this year, Knebel has been poor, and last year was the only one where he was particularly good. Odds are even a bad pitcher is going to get the out required on one batter over 50% of the time. He started him 3-1. Hader was getting squeezed. Had 4 k's still. Allowed an infield hit and had a fielder's choice where he could have had a double play. His season speaks for itself. If he's not totally over-worked you have to allow him to finish the game off.

Just win, baby. Get the win = good decision.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#113 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Bernman wrote:

I'm not saying I think it was a great idea to go to Knebel, but Knebel's struggles amount to basically 2 innings of recent work and 1 or 2 innings to start the year with a giant lake of injury time in between.

He had literally thrown 10 innings. That's not a giant amount to make rash judgments on.

I'm guessing it partially had to do with not wanting to take Hader over 35 or so pitches.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#114 » by Bernman » Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 pm

books wrote:Just win, baby. Get the win = good decision.

You didn't see the alternative, which is likely the same result, let alone 20 alternatives, where Hader comes out successful more frequently than Knebel.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm

Bernman wrote:
books wrote:Just win, baby. Get the win = good decision.

You didn't see the alternative, which is likely the same result, let alone 20 alternatives, where Hader comes out successful more frequently than Knebel.

I get it, but the only alternative/scenario that matters is the one that actually happened, no?
Bernman
RealGM

Post#116 » by Bernman » Wed May 30, 2018 8:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm not saying I think it was a great idea to go to Knebel, but Knebel's struggles amount to basically 2 innings of recent work and 1 or innings to start the year with a giant lake of injury time in between.

He had literally thrown 10 innings. That's not a giant amount to make rash judgments on.

I'm guessing it partially had to do with not wanting to take Hader over 35 or so pitches.

It's more of a sample than that. He had allowed runs in 5 of his 11 previous appearances this year. That's not top 3 reliever level on any team, let alone the Brewers. Really the faith comes from last year. Had a 4.68 the previous year, 3.23 before that, and 6.23. It's not the statistical profile of a top reliever, unlike Hader and Albers, surely.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#117 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed May 30, 2018 9:00 pm

**** that was dicey but a wins a win. I really hate the cards.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#118 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Bernman wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm not saying I think it was a great idea to go to Knebel, but Knebel's struggles amount to basically 2 innings of recent work and 1 or innings to start the year with a giant lake of injury time in between.

It's more of a sample than that. He had allowed runs in 5 of his 11 previous appearances this year. That's not top 3 reliever level on any team, let alone the Brewers. Really the faith comes from last year. Had a 4.68 the previous year, 3.23 before that, and 6.23. It's not the statistical profile of a top reliever, unlike Hader and Albers, surely.

Ah yes, the 6.23 ERA in 8 **** innings with the Tigers as a rookie.

He's got home run issues but he's fine. Especially when you would prefer to avoid a bat because there are a lot of outcomes like errors or singles that tie the game (comparing him with going to Albers).

I'm somewhat with you that Knebel may have been a bit overrated from last year, but I think I could find 10 good relief pitchers this year that had the "terrible" start that Knebel had in which they gave up like 5 runs in 8 innings and now they are right back down to their usual 2.5 ERA.

By the way, speaking of "the confidence comes from last year" but suggesting that previous years would trump that: check out Matt Albers' 2016 season with a 6.31 ERA in an actual reasonable amount of innings (50.1).
Bernman
RealGM

Post#119 » by Bernman » Wed May 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Ah yes, the 6.23 ERA in 8 **** innings with the Tigers as a rookie.

He's got home run issues but he's fine. Especially when you would prefer to avoid a bat because there are a lot of outcomes like errors or singles that tie the game.

I'm somewhat with you that Knebel may have been a bit overrated from last year, but I think I could find 10 good relief pitchers this year that had the "terrible" start that Knebel had in which they gave up like 5 runs in 8 innings and now they are right back down to their usual 2.5 ERA.

You're the one looking at the smaller sample to argue that it's reasonable to trust him as a closer this year. His status when it comes to that almost entirely comes down to his performance last year, one of five partial or full seasons.

What, Hader can't avoid a bat? I've heard some things about him having an all-time great k-rate and WHIP #'s coming in.

It's about making the best decision with the info you have at the time. That wasn't done. It hasn't been done since Knebel returned. He doesn't have to bomb from here on out for that to be true. But whatever. I don't want to spend much time on it considering the Brewers won again anyway.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#120 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Bernman wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Ah yes, the 6.23 ERA in 8 **** innings with the Tigers as a rookie.

He's got home run issues but he's fine. Especially when you would prefer to avoid a bat because there are a lot of outcomes like errors or singles that tie the game.

You're the one looking at the smaller sample to justify that he should be trusted as a closer this year. His status when it comes to that almost entirely comes down to his performance last year, one of five partial or full seasons.

What, Hader can't avoid a bat? I've heard some things about him having an all-time great k-rate and WHIP #'s coming in.

It's about making the best decision with the info you have at the time. That wasn't done. It hasn't been done since Knebel returned. But whatever. I don't want to spend much time on it considering the Brewers won again anyway.

I edited my post but my comparison was with Albers in the "avoiding a bat" idea.

I'm not someone that talks about "trusting as a closer" type of cliche, either, though Knebel qualifies as a good reliever and therefore I'm fine using him in a lot of 3 run lead in the 9th inning type of things.

Also, take a look at what I added to my post for with Matt Albers. You wanna crucify Knebel for bad stats 2 years ago, get a load of Albers' 2016.

I am guessing that going away from Hader may have had to do with pitch count. Hader has gone above 35 a few times this year but not much.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers