ImageImage

Phillies @ Brewers Series Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Re: Phillies @ Brewers Series Thread 

Post#81 » by blazza18 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Good thing the dude who vomited on the mound only gave up 1 run.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
LuckyLoydWalton
Rookie
And1: 171

Post#82 » by LuckyLoydWalton » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Maybe Hader can hit a pinch-hit homer here! Then Counsell would be off the hook for not using him, possibly?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#83 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 pm

This is gonna be the most frustrating loss of the season.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#84 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Oh my **** god are you kidding me at that ending.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#85 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm sure glad Hader got the series off so we could let Boone Logan and Taylor Williams make those important pitches in key situations in these last two losses. Counsell generally does a good job, this is easily the most aggravated I've been at him this season.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#86 » by kid idioteque » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Pretty f*cking sad to lose a series in which you scored 26 runs.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#87 » by Bernman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Boone Logan yesterday, leaving Anderson into the 6th, no Hader, loading the bases w/ 2 outs for Williams, and leaving Houser in cost the team a minimum of 1 game this series, possibly 2. I know they didn't score any more yesterday, but being in a 4-1 hole is a different mindset. That was one of the worst managed games and series' I've ever seen.

Doesn't mean I'm not still fine w/ Counsell overall. But we gotta keep an eye on it. I've said repeatedly I don't think the rotation is sustainable, although that's partially a Stearns' thing. But Counsell could lean into options that have the potentially to be much better over time like Woodruff, Peralta, possibly Hader. It's majorly conservative to maintain a rotation that you can maybe continue to win in spite of.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
BJ Sandered
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#88 » by BJ Sandered » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:25 pm

If Knebel doesn't give up that home run late then the game would have been tied in the 9th instead. :banghead:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Some heroes wear headbands instead of capes.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,169
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#89 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Bernman wrote:Boone Logan yesterday, leaving Anderson into the 6th, no Hader, loading the bases w/ 2 outs for Williams, and leaving Houser in cost the team a minimum of 1 game this series, possibly 2. I know they didn't score any more yesterday, but being in a 4-1 hole is a different mindset. That was one of the worst managed games and series' I've ever seen.

Doesn't mean I'm not still fine w/ Counsell overall. But we gotta keep an eye on it. I've said repeatedly I don't think the rotation is sustainable, although that's partially a Stearns' thing. But Counsell could lean into options that have the potentially to be much better over time like Woodruff, Peralta, possibly Hader. It's majorly conservative to maintain a rotation that you can maybe continue to win in spite of.

The rotation is a very known commodity. Whether they missed out on a trade, free agency, or it's just the fact that Scherzer and Kershaws aren't growing on trees, Stearns did about as smart of a thing as he can and built a rotation + bullpen to maximize guys like Chacin (5 innings and turn it over to a loaded bullpen). Not saying I would't take the right opportunity to improve it, and I think it will given Burnes or a trade down the line, but it's actually somewhat hard to improve this rotation in some ways otherwise given that they're all "pretty good" at going 5 innings and playing to the situation.

I don't think there's really "blame" on anyone for the rotation because I think other than a few places one could think Counsell should be handling it better, it gives me extreme confidence in the organization seeing what they've done. They are being very shrewd with how they managed the rotation given what they were handed. It's a good sign that we'll generally always be making the right moves if we have outperformed expectations since the day Stearns walked in the door.

At this point, I don't know with Logan because I have not seen a ton of his innings. Sometimes guys are just done and other times it is simply only that he's thrown 10 innings. It's possible that they think he's going to be alright and that he's had some bad luck/getting the rust off from the injury and you gotta trust your opinion on that.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers