ImageImage

2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Phelps Signed

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to CIN; Hader's on the Block; Arcia Signs 1YD, Bye Shaw/Nelson+ 

Post#481 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 5, 2019 5:59 pm

MAC1987 wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:Don't forget about that Christian Yelich guy

I can edit my post, I just forgot. The question still stands. I don't want Gamel playing significant time when Braun is at 1B.

I'm fine giving Taylor an expanded role.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Moose to CIN; Hader's on the Block; Arcia Signs 1YD, Bye Shaw/Nelson+ 

Post#482 » by jmuelly » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:05 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:That keon trade was a low key hell of a move last winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Lets go all the way back to trading Jason Rogers for Broxton & Supak

It's not as good as a struggling JJ Hardy for Gomez who became a fan favorite turned

Hader
Santana into Gamel
Phillips assisted in getting Moose
Houser
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Acquire Narvaez from SEA for a Prospect and a Pick 

Post#483 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:10 pm

OF has a plethora of cheap players that can be very productive. Corey Dickerson was once overrated for his Coors stats but is a valuable hitter. Pay him $5 million if Braun plays more 1B.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,722

Re: 2019 Brewers Offseason Thread - Acquire Narvaez from SEA for a Prospect and a Pick 

Post#484 » by jimmybones » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:33 pm

Sign Castellanos and Donaldson and let’s rake teams to death.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#485 » by humanrefutation » Thu Dec 5, 2019 6:50 pm

A Mariners beat writer on Narvaez:

Well, Narvaez’s defense is, at best, below average and, at worst, abysmal to the point where forgettable Mariners catchers such as Miguel Olivo, Rob Johnson and Jeff Clement seemed more competent behind the plate. He was considered one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball, posting a minus-20 rating in defensive runs saved and a minus-6.5 on Fangraphs’ defensive rating. The Mariners understood this when they acquired him last season from the White Sox. But he never showed much improvement despite it being stressed to him.

His struggles with simply receiving pitches competently and his inability to frame pitches to steal strikes were a problem. And his lack of pregame preparation in terms of scouting reports and game calling were glaring in comparison to Murphy, who diligent to the point of obsessive. Privately multiple pitchers on the staff expressed a preference to pitch to Murphy, who seemed to put them ahead of his own personal offense.

There was also a concern/belief that Narvaez’s unexpected power jump was due to the homer-friendly baseball being used in 2019. They believed that his true power projection was between 10-15 homers per season, which is still useful. Narvaez’s body frame and conditioning habits — he got heavier as the season went on — were also an issue that would lead to injuries and decreased production with age.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#486 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 5, 2019 10:29 pm

Yikes.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,049

Post#487 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:03 pm

Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,049

Post#488 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:06 pm

Sounds like he gets the most out of his hitting by hitting to all fields and having optimized his launch angle
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#489 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 5, 2019 11:28 pm

When it comes to strategy on how they approach a batter and overall how that pitcher approaches a game how much is controlled by the catcher vs analytics people and coaches?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#490 » by bdpecore » Fri Dec 6, 2019 12:31 am

jmuelly wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:That keon trade was a low key hell of a move last winter.

Lets go all the way back to trading Jason Rogers for Broxton & Supak

It's not as good as a struggling JJ Hardy for Gomez who became a fan favorite turned

Hader
Santana into Gamel
Phillips assisted in getting Moose
Houser

This reminds me of that show where the two guys keep trading goods until they wind up with something 10x more valuable. Anyone who can turn Jason Rogers into Omar Narvaez, Trey Supak and Bobby Wahl should be commended.

Well played Mr. Stearns!!!
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Post#491 » by tski1972 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:18 am

Is Omar kinda like Johnny Estrada?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#492 » by engelmartin » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:22 am

jimmybones wrote:Sign Castellanos and Donaldson and let’s rake teams to death.

Howie Kendrick and Justin Smoak are still out there. The guy I really want is Ryosuke Kikuchi.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,118

Post#493 » by LittleRooster » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:37 am

tski1972 wrote:Is Omar kinda like Johnny Estrada?

God I hope not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#494 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Dec 6, 2019 1:54 am

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#495 » by trwi7 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 3:14 am

tski1972 wrote:Is Omar kinda like Johnny Estrada?

Narvaez will actually take a pitch.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#496 » by DrWood » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:06 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:When it comes to strategy on how they approach a batter and overall how that pitcher approaches a game how much is controlled by the catcher vs analytics people and coaches?

basically the C has no role in that.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#497 » by DrWood » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:12 am

humanrefutation wrote:A Mariners beat writer on Narvaez:

Well, Narvaez’s defense is, at best, below average and, at worst, abysmal to the point where forgettable Mariners catchers such as Miguel Olivo, Rob Johnson and Jeff Clement seemed more competent behind the plate. He was considered one of the worst defensive catchers in baseball, posting a minus-20 rating in defensive runs saved and a minus-6.5 on Fangraphs’ defensive rating. The Mariners understood this when they acquired him last season from the White Sox. But he never showed much improvement despite it being stressed to him.

His struggles with simply receiving pitches competently and his inability to frame pitches to steal strikes were a problem. And his lack of pregame preparation in terms of scouting reports and game calling were glaring in comparison to Murphy, who diligent to the point of obsessive. Privately multiple pitchers on the staff expressed a preference to pitch to Murphy, who seemed to put them ahead of his own personal offense.

There was also a concern/belief that Narvaez’s unexpected power jump was due to the homer-friendly baseball being used in 2019. They believed that his true power projection was between 10-15 homers per season, which is still useful. Narvaez’s body frame and conditioning habits — he got heavier as the season went on — were also an issue that would lead to injuries and decreased production with age.

The stats Fangraphs uses gives a huge value to framing pitches, but it's really not certain how important that is.
He's moving to a park that rewards LH power more than in SEA, so he'll probably hit more HRs. . . if he can stay on the field enough to get enough PAs.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#498 » by neiLz » Fri Dec 6, 2019 5:18 am

I really like the deal and am intrigued with what Stearns does.

If they go back up to 130 mil payroll they have options.

Braun and lefty platoon at 1b.
Pay about 5 mil for an outfielder.
Keep Hader and hopefully knebel comes back. Would be a good 1/2 punch.
Possibly sign Donaldson on a 1 year big deal and still have some money to get a number 2/3 pitcher.

There's options. We just don't know the budget and Stearns has been really resourceful in who he targets.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#499 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 3:30 pm

I still don't believe in Braun playing 1B at all. He made it very clear he wasn't comfortable there, and he said all the bending and stooping hurt his back. He was willing to try it, but he made it clear he doesn't think it's in the team's best interests.

Seems they need two LHB's on the infield if possible. I'm kind of surprised they didn't give Shaw another chance. If I'm not mistaken, he still has an option. I'm kind of assuming there's a 75% chance Smoak or Thames will be the primary 1B, but what are the options at 3B? Moustakas or Shaw seemed like the obvious choices, and if there were going to get Seager, it seems they would have done it in the Narvaez deal (though it still could happen).
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#500 » by MAC1987 » Fri Dec 6, 2019 4:24 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:I still don't believe in Braun playing 1B at all. He made it very clear he wasn't comfortable there, and he said all the bending and stooping hurt his back. He was willing to try it, but he made it clear he doesn't think it's in the team's best interests.

Seems they need two LHB's on the infield if possible. I'm kind of surprised they didn't give Shaw another chance. If I'm not mistaken, he still has an option. I'm kind of assuming there's a 75% chance Smoak or Thames will be the primary 1B, but what are the options at 3B? Moustakas or Shaw seemed like the obvious choices, and if there were going to get Seager, it seems they would have done it in the Narvaez deal (though it still could happen).
I agree, i am not a fan of Braun at 1B either. However, all depends on what Stearns was thinking when he said Braun at 1st because to me that implied getting another OF or they like some young guy coming up.

Smoak/Cron/Thames at 1st. Fine.

3B? Mystery to me too.

Moves cant come soon enough. Waiting patiently...

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app

Return to Milwaukee Brewers