ImageImage

2024 ATL Thread - Hader to Astros - 5/$95M

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,601

Re: 2021 ATL Thread - CBA Expires December 1 

Post#221 » by tski1972 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 6:45 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I've hated the shift. A rocket up the middle or a shot into the hole should not be met with a gloved dude just sitting there.

It’s no different than drilling one right at the left fielder who is standing in a “normal” position.

Why are there “normal” defensive positions anyway? Why is it even a thing? The defense is set up to maximize coverage of the field to stop runs for scoring. Who cares how they do it.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,165

Post#222 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 7, 2022 7:09 pm

tski1972 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I've hated the shift. A rocket up the middle or a shot into the hole should not be met with a gloved dude just sitting there.

It’s no different than drilling one right at the left fielder who is standing in a “normal” position.

Why are there “normal” defensive positions anyway? Why is it even a thing? The defense is set up to maximize coverage of the field to stop runs for scoring. Who cares how they do it.

Yes, and a big reason that baseball is unwatchable to many is the game is nothing but home runs and strikeouts. Banning the shift will have a monster impact getting more hits, particularly if you're a lefthander. More action is good.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,601

Post#223 » by tski1972 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 7:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
tski1972 wrote:

Yes, and a big reason that baseball is unwatchable to many is the game is nothing but home runs and strikeouts. Banning the shift will have a monster impact getting more hits, particularly if you're a lefthander. More action is good.

It’s like this now because the players only care about home runs and strikeouts. The steroid era started this decline, as players were a lot more content to put a ball in play pre Sosa and McGwire. Then the crowd craved the long ball and this is how it ended up. I don’t see how banning the shift changes a batters or a pitchers mindset at this point.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,677

Post#224 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 7, 2022 8:39 pm

tski1972 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
tski1972 wrote:

It’s like this now because the players only care about home runs and strikeouts. The steroid era started this decline, as players were a lot more content to put a ball in play pre Sosa and McGwire. Then the crowd craved the long ball and this is how it ended up. I don’t see how banning the shift changes a batters or a pitchers mindset at this point.
I think analytics had more to do with it than the steroid era. When a ball is hit in play there's an aspect of luck, stikeouts and HRs remove the luck. They are the two most sought after outcomes.

Analytics showed that the most important thing a pitcher can do is miss bats so pitchers started pitching that way more and by training or drugs or both have gotten really **** good at missing bats. Also the philosophy of using a billion pitchers each game contributes too since pitchers throw as absolutely hard as possible at all times because they don't need to save themselves.

So now regardless of if the batter is trying to hit homeruns they are making less contact and getting on base less so HR become even more important so focus even more on HRs.

Personally I think they should move the mound back. If hitters have a split second more time to see the ball contact numbers will go back up. (As a Brewers fan I hope they wait a couple years though and let us enjoy the best pitching staff we've ever had for another year or two)

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#225 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Jeff Passan getting hacked by NFT bros with baseball on the verge of a new CBA is amazing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,020

Post#226 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:01 pm

I'd love a 100-125 game season but it looks like they may get it done and cram in 162 games anyway. Very happy the tax threshold will go up so the Dodgers can spend more before they hit it.

If there's anything that will help small market teams being discussed I haven't seen it. I guess a slightly expanded playoffs is our bone. '

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter

You love to see it. Exec counsel is largely Boras guys.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#228 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,740

Post#229 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:22 pm

LOCKOUT OVER!!
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:25 pm

Do you guys all realize that we're about to get an entire off season Hot **** Stove over the course of, like, a weekend?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#231 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:26 pm

Still **** em for ruining spring training. This **** should have been done months ago.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#232 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:35 pm

This was posted in December

Read on Twitter
?t=qqlr61zJ8r8yKWwA3HEnnA&s=19

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#233 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2022 ATL Thread - MLB reaches deal with MLBPA 

Post#234 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Six pick lottery is really interesting.

Read on Twitter
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#235 » by humanrefutation » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:05 pm

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33470321/sources-mlb-union-reach-tentative-agreement-new-cba-salvage-162-game-season

The basic agreement governs almost all aspects of the game, but baseball's core economics were front and center in the labor talks. In addition to the CBT move, the minimum salary governing players with less than three years of major league service will jump from $570,500 to $700,000, growing to $780,000, and a bonus pool worth $50 million will be distributed among those younger players who have yet to reach salary arbitration.

MLB had pushed for expanding the postseason to 12 teams -- a plan to which the MLBPA agreed. Additionally, player uniforms will feature advertising for the first time, with patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets.

Other elements of the deal include:

• A 45-day window for MLB to implement rules changes -- among them a pitch clock, ban on shifts and larger bases in the 2023 season

• The National League adopting the designated hitter

• A draft lottery implemented with the intent of discouraging tanking

• Draft-pick inducements to discourage service-time manipulation

• Limiting the number of times a player can be optioned to the minor leagues in one season.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#236 » by crkone » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 pm

Damn I may get lucky and be able to catch a game next week in Tampa.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#237 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:38 pm

Which, if any, rule changes take affect this year? DH?

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:54 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Which, if any, rule changes take affect this year? DH?

Read on Twitter

There's universal DH and the ghost runner on 2nd is gone.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:31 pm

Free agency is open. LFG.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#240 » by Mags FTW » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:51 pm

The pitch clock needs to happen. Banning the shift and making the DH universal is going to push the average game length higher.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers