ImageImage

Ryan Braun with 3 homeruns in 4 innings so far

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

shortstrokes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#41 » by shortstrokes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:04 pm

I know this is not going to be a popular comment but I think the reason Ryan Braun is not up here right now is 75% Braun and 25% Prince.
If Prince was an absolute stud with the glove I think management would feel better about bringing up Braun. By the sound of it, all of Brauns issues are with accuracy on his throws. If Doug and Ned were confident that Prince could save Braun's bacon on some of his off target throws, the chances are better that he's be here.
Prince can competently handle the routine throws be he struggles with throws off the mark and in the dirt. Prince is still learning the position and it probably would not be great for his confidence to be peppered with Braun tosses. Braun's confidence, as well, would be shot as throw after throw skipped past Prince and into the dugout.
Comparing Braun's D with Rickie, I seem to remember that a lot of Rickie's problems were with the glove. Sure, he uncorked some wild throws as well but the degree of accuracy on the throw from second is not nearly as critical as the throw from third.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#42 » by BuckPack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:13 pm

I think the reson Braun isn't up is b/c we have poor defense at 2B, 1B, and CF. If we brought up Braun, that would mean 3/4 of our infield defense was below average to poor (with Weeks being the best defensive player). Combine that with Hall's growing pains in center, and you have very little ability to take away runs with your defense. Hell, instead of taking away runs with that D, you'll be handing the opposition runs. Will Braun's offense make up for his defenses lapses? Sure. But we don't want to have 4 starters working on their D at the same time....

Braun will be up in about a month. And when he is, he'll be the "regular" 3B. Id love to try and move a package of Graffanino and Jenkins/mench/Gross etc. for another corner outfielder.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#43 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Braun isn't up now because they want to let him work on his D a little more in AAA and they don't want to lose a year of service time in the future. Braun will be up this year though; from what I've read about his service time, as early as next month.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,755

Post#44 » by DanoMac » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Ayt wrote:Braun isn't up now because they want to let him work on his D a little more in AAA and they don't want to lose a year of service time in the future. Braun will be up this year though; from what I've read about his service time, as early as next month.

Agreed.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#45 » by bigkurty » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:55 am

FYI at this point in time, Graffanino has played in 9 games and has 2 errors. Braun has played in 13 games and has one error. I have a feeling that call up is not too far off.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#46 » by JoeJohnson2two » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:43 am

bigkurty wrote:FYI at this point in time, Graffanino has played in 9 games and has 2 errors. Braun has played in 13 games and has one error. I have a feeling that call up is not too far off.

I agree 100%

The way Graffy and Counsell are hitting, why not bring up Braun? Especially if we somehow manage to pull off a sweep of the Astros and make some early space between us and the rest of the Central. Why not go for the throat while we can? We score enough runs for the pitchers then we can be a younger, less explosive version of the Yankees.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#47 » by SugarRay34 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:54 am

I hope it happens soon but if it doesnt happen in the next week I guarantee Braun is up by June 1st. This team has shown promise and Braun can only add to it. Graffy hasnt played even a solid 3B yet and Braun could come up immediatly play the same type of 3B and bat 30 points higher with double the HR. He will be up soon
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,413

Post#48 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:17 am

SugarRay34 wrote:I hope it happens soon but if it doesnt happen in the next week I guarantee Braun is up by June 1st. This team has shown promise and Braun can only add to it. Graffy hasnt played even a solid 3B yet and Braun could come up immediatly play the same type of 3B and bat 30 points higher with double the HR. He will be up soon

If you double zero what's the total? 8)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#49 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 pm

JoeJohnson2two wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree 100%

The way Graffy and Counsell are hitting, why not bring up Braun? Especially if we somehow manage to pull off a sweep of the Astros and make some early space between us and the rest of the Central. Why not go for the throat while we can? We score enough runs for the pitchers then we can be a younger, less explosive version of the Yankees.

The argument against that, of course, is why mess with something that's obviously working?

I think Braun should be up by late May, early June but I'm just presenting the counter argument...
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by JoeJohnson2two » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:04 pm

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The argument against that, of course, is why mess with something that's obviously working?

I think Braun should be up by late May, early June but I'm just presenting the counter argument...

Yeah I see what you are doing and I agree to some extent. Yes, we are 9-6 and in first in the Central but lets admit, it hasn't been pretty. We have zero consistency from 3B and we are sparing a bat for "better defense" than Braun brings. I figure that if we question Braun's defensive ability at 3B, why not tell JJ to get to whatever ball he can between 3B and SS? I would love to see a lineup that can produce 8 to 10 runs on a wimb.

Also, lets say we get swept by the Astros and fall to 9-9 while only scoring around 9 runs for the entire series and our 3B platoon goes 0-10ish during the series. Would you bring up Braun?

I just want to see what effects Braun's bat brings to the rest of our lineup. Does it send a message to step your game up and produce?

I'd love this lineup

1. Rickie Weeks
2. JJ Hardy
3. Prince Fielder
4. Billy Hall
5. Ryan Braun
6. Johnny Estrada
7. Geoff Jenkins/Kevin Mench
8. Corey Hart/Gabe Gross/Kevin Mench
9. Pitcher

We could score with the likes of the Mets with bats 1 through 8 instead of pretty much giving the opposition 6 free outs...
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#51 » by bigkurty » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:16 pm

JoeJohnson2two wrote:
DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd love this lineup

1. Rickie Weeks
2. JJ Hardy
3. Prince Fielder
4. Billy Hall
5. Ryan Braun
6. Johnny Estrada
7. Geoff Jenkins/Kevin Mench
8. Corey Hart/Gabe Gross/Kevin Mench
9. Pitcher

Me too, that lineup looks so sick on paper. I have been watching the brewers pretty seriously since the late 80's and that lineup is the scariest by far that I could ever remember. It totally looks like a poor mans Yankee Roster where every hitter(minus the pitcher of course) is dangerous. It seems strange not having half the line up be scrubs with no potential whatsoever anymore.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#52 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Another argument I would present is Alex Gordon.

You probably won't find anyone on the face of the planet that doesn't believe Gordon is the superior prospect. Better hitter, better on D.

While a lot of us assume Braun would do better than Councafanino, look at the season Gordon's having. Batting .125, 17 K's, 1 BB, 3 errors.

Ouch.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by JoeJohnson2two » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:50 pm

DrugBust wrote:Another argument I would present is Alex Gordon.

You probably won't find anyone on the face of the planet that doesn't believe Gordon is the superior prospect. Better hitter, better on D.

While a lot of us assume Braun would do better than Councafanino, look at the season Gordon's having. Batting .125, 17 K's, 1 BB, 3 errors.

Ouch.

True, so true. However, why not have Braun hitting sub .200 rather than Graffy and Counsell?
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#54 » by SugarRay34 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Well Graffy and Counsell are veterans. Defintly could hurt his confidence a bit.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers