Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

"Milwaukee was hell." -Gary Sheffield 

Post#1 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:47 am

From his new book...

http://www.jsonline.com/index/index.aspx?id=35
Gary Sheffield has reminded us from time to time over the years just how miserable he was during much of his time in the Milwaukee Brewers' organization.

In his recently published book, "Inside Power," he reminds us again.

"My story in Milwaukee turned from good to bad and from bad to worse," Sheffield says in the book, which he wrote with David Ritz. He is referring mainly to the years 1989 through 1991.

Sheffield, who now plays for the Detroit Tigers, was drafted out of high school by the Brewers with the sixth overall pick in the 1986 amateur draft. He made his major-league debut Sept. 3, 1988, and played in 24 games at the end of that season.
Advertisement

Buy a link here

Sheffield had issues with management, issues with his teammates and issues with Brewers fans.

"I've never been more miserable," Sheffield writes, referring to the time after the '91 season, when he played in only 50 games because of wrist and shoulder injuries. He batted .194, a career low.

"Milwaukee wasn't my kind of town. Milwaukee wasn't my kind of team. Far as I was concerned, Milwaukee was hell."

Sheffield said management didn't believe him when he told them he was injured. He didn't like being booed in 1988. He didn't think Brewers pitchers retaliated after opposing pitchers threw at him, unlike the way they did when Paul Molitor was knocked down.

He was miffed that Billy Spiers, a white infielder, was installed at shortstop, the spot Sheffield contends he had earned and deserved. Sheffield says if he had been white and Spiers black, Sheffield would have been the regular shortstop.

"When a reporter wondered whether I thought the decision had racial overtones, I wasn't about to lie," Sheffield writes."

Sheffield says the Brewers interpreted some of his remarks to the press as a sign of disloyalty when he viewed it as being honest.

"Management asked me to tone down my remarks," Sheffield writes. "I refused. Harry Dalton, general manager, made many decisions I didn't like. . . . When Dalton suffered a heart attack, I was accused of causing it."

In the 1989 season, Sheffield says he injured his foot in a game against Kansas City in the first half of the season, but the Brewers' trainer "said it was nothing." Sheffield's play suffered and he was sent to the minors, where he refused to play, contending that something was wrong with his foot. A doctor eventually told him his foot was fractured. He filed a complaint with the players union, saying he had been "unjustifiably" sent down. He was sent back up.

"Management apologized," Sheffield writes. "They wanted me to know they'd made a mistake. But to me the apology didn't mean anything."

Sheffield says owner Bud Selig made a $7 million contract offer to him at the beginning of that season, but withdrew it after the injury episode.

"Suddenly my eyes opened," Sheffield says. "Suddenly I saw the baseball world the way it really is: business rules. Money rules."

Sheffield writes that he "loved" manager Tom Trebelhorn because "he was like a father" and had the "patience and personality of a good schoolteacher."

Besides Trebelhorn, Sheffield singles out two people he actually liked during his time in Milwaukee: batting coach Don Baylor and designated hitter Dave Parker.

When Parker was traded to the Angels, "that broke my heart." Baylor also moved on.

"Losing Don and Dave devastated me," Sheffield writes. "From what I could see, white players got preferential treatment, and it made me angry."

Sheffield was dealt to the San Diego Padres and in 1992 he batted .330 and was named player of the year by The Sporting News and was selected the comeback player of the year.

In the book, Sheffield repeats what he has said in the past about steroids.

"I've never touched a strength-building steroid in my life - and never will," he writes.

He says he was before the BALCO grand jury for 10 minutes and testified that he was unaware that a cream he rubbed on his knees contained steroids.

"Whatever it was, it didn't make me stronger," Sheffield says.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#2 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:02 am

Is he still talking......

Jesus Christ shut up already

:roll:
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#3 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 am

Man do I loathe Gary Sheffield
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
shortstrokes
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#4 » by shortstrokes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:11 am

Gee, thanks for sharing Gare.

Do you think anyone in Milwaukee really cares what you have to say? After admitting that when you played for the Brewers you purposely made throwing errors in games to get yourself traded, I think most people here really stopped giving a s**t what you thought.

Well Gare, the feeling is mutual. You hate Milwaukee and Milwaukee hates you.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#5 » by Buck You » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:25 am

Oh, so Milwaukee didn't treat him like a King so he thought it was hell? F**k you to gary.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#6 » by SugarRay34 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:44 am

Wow what a c**k sucker. My hatred grows for this guy every time he opens his mouth
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,239

Post#7 » by soboMP3 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:48 am

LOL!!! On to Detroit! No racial issues for you there, Gary! Good riddance.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#8 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:46 am

The man has no integrity. I love the part about how he's never 'touched' steroids, yet he was linked to something a few years ago.
Go Bucks!
Wade-A-Holic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Wade-A-Holic » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Here's to hoping that Milwaukee destroys Sheff in inter-league play and again in the World Series :clap:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#10 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:42 am

After we traded Sheffield, it was troubling to see him go for the triple crown in 1992......however, he's moved teams or been traded 8 times after being shipped out at his request by Milwaukee....

The guy is a cancer....always has been. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have played on so many different teams.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Andrew34r » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 pm

I hate Sheffield always have.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers