ImageImage

"There are freaking geeks out there who..." -Doug

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

"There are freaking geeks out there who..." -Doug 

Post#1 » by BuckPack » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 pm

No deal: General manager Doug Melvin laughed off reports on Thursday that the Brewers had acquired Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn for a package of players including reliever Matt Wise.

It was a "baseless Internet rumor," Melvin said. And he has become tired of those.

"I'm taking more calls deflecting these kinds of rumors than I've had talking to GMs," said Melvin, who has characterized the trade market as extremely cool.

The Brewers are already flush with left-handed hitting outfielders. When Bill Hall went down last week with an ankle injury the team briefly looked at Texas Rangers veteran Kenny Lofton, but called off that interest when it was determined Hall would miss only a few weeks.

Hall's rehabilitation has been progressing more quickly than expected. He participated in running drills on Wednesday and took swings in the batting cage on Thursday, and Yost wasn't ruling out the possibility of having Hall back in the lineup for the opener of a weeklong road trip Monday in Cincinnati.

Still, the rumor spread quickly on Thursday even though it originally appeared on a Cincinnati radio personality's blog. It was reported by a Milwaukee station Thursday morning.

The original blog entry read like this: "From the MLB rumor mill ... Dunn to Brewers for Matt Wise, Tony Gwynn Jr. and an infield prospect."

Not exactly the kind of reporting they teach in Journalism 101.

"There are freaking geeks out there who get ... off on this kind of stuff," Melvin said.

That doesn't look good....unless Melvin is Larry Harris

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=mil
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,847

Post#2 » by Ayt » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Dougie Mel laying the smack down.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#3 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:05 pm

Melvin is out to get MickeyDavis :lol:
BuckPack
Starter

Post#4 » by BuckPack » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Ayt wrote:Dougie Mel laying the smack down.

agreed...makes me think tho that the rumor has (or had) legs, b/c I don't think you'd see that sort of emotional response if it was completely baseless (and I doubt MD would have posted either...)
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#5 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:08 pm

Who's Bob M.?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#6 » by BuckPack » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 pm

willeatfire4playoffsinmil wrote:Who's Bob M.?

hahah fixed...too many melvins on my mind when the Crew is playing the D'Backs...
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#7 » by JoeJohnson2two » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 pm

It could still be a possibility because the Reds GM is allowing anyone who tries and trade for Dunn a 48 hour window to try and discuss a contract extension with him before the trade for him. It could happen so all this "Gwynn is playing and Wise is pitching means it's not happening" stuff doesn't really mean anything.

I am a huge Adam Dunn fan and would love to see him in Milwaukee but I never get what I want so...
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#8 » by Comet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:41 pm

If Doug Melvin was offered this deal, then I'll be absolutely pissed at him. It's a steal.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,556

Post#9 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I am very relieved. Dunn is a bad outfielder. A terrible hitter With RISP. And is always near the top in strikeouts in the NL.
Comet
Veteran

Post#10 » by Comet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:46 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:I am very relieved. Dunn is a bad outfielder. A terrible hitter With RISP. And is always near the top in strikeouts in the NL.

BUT, he has a ton of power, is a left-handed hitter, and has a nice .378 career OBP. The OBP negates the strikeouts IMHO.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by JoeJohnson2two » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:49 pm

For that price I would have jumped all over it. Dunn is a legit power hitter and has been for years. The man, with the right hitting coach, could be a guy that matches Sosa's 4 straight 50 home run seasons.

I absolutely love Adam Dunn and for Matt Wise, Tony Gwynn and a prospect I would have made love to a fat woman tonight...
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
Comet
Veteran

Post#12 » by Comet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Dunn probably wouldn't hit 50 homeruns at Miller Park. Miller Park is a hitter's park, but it's not the bandbox that Great American Ballpark is, and he didn't even do it there. The most homeruns Dunn has ever hit was 46, which he did in 2004.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by JoeJohnson2two » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Comet wrote:Dunn probably wouldn't hit 50 homeruns at Miller Park. Miller Park is a hitter's park, but it's not the bandbox that Great American Ballpark is.

Not saying that he would. Just saying that with the right hitting coach he's more than capable of doing so.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#14 » by BuckPack » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:14 pm

Why did Wise pitch 3 innings today? hmm....
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#15 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:22 pm

BuckPack wrote:Why did Wise pitch 3 innings today? hmm....

and before today he has never pitched more then 2 hmm
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by JoeJohnson2two » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 pm

BuckPack wrote:Why did Wise pitch 3 innings today? hmm....

Good point...

Why not throw Manny Parra when we were up by 6 runs? hmm...
goirish2107
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#17 » by goirish2107 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:28 pm

agreed. i've noticed for a long time that wise hasn't been pitching that much at all. many situations he could've been used and it ended up being shouse or villy. now he comes in for 3 innings? on a day he's rumored to be leaving? fishy to me
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,458

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 pm

They also let him hit and he got a single. Perhaps showcasing him as a pitcher/SS. :wink:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
JoeJohnson2two
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by JoeJohnson2two » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:39 pm

It's really fishy to me. Especially in a game when we are up big and we use a guy who usually appears in close game situations. Wouldn't we use someone like Parra?

Why not throw Parra in that situation?
BuckPack
Starter

Post#20 » by BuckPack » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:40 pm

JoeJohnson2two wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Good point...

Why not throw Manny Parra when we were up by 6 runs? hmm...

yeah, you'd think that would have been an ideal entrance for Manny Parra--no pressure, big crowd, record the last couple outs....doesn't make any sense.

I dunno, I'm pretty confused (started to say flummoxed, then thought better of it).

I'll say that there's definitely some fire tho....

Return to Milwaukee Brewers