ImageImageImage

How much would Santana get on the open market?

Moderator: Ralnor

maseda17
Senior
And1: 1

Post#41 » by maseda17 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 7:43 pm

Then please tell me who the post was directed at because I see no one demanding the Twins trade anyone.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#42 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:22 pm

Hey guys, this is me telling you both to settle.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#43 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 5, 2007 9:22 pm

I think rev is rubbing off on kg2005.

maseda did not say we HAVE to trade him. Here is the post I think is in question:

maseda wrote:They should probably deal him after this year to a team that actually has a chance to extend him. You guys are going to have a strong staff regardless headlined with Liriano and Garza being more than capable of fulfilling the #2 role. How about Josh Beckett, Clay Bucholz, Jacoby Ellsbury for Santana from Boston? Ellsbury would fill in nicely at CF with Hunter leaving and Beckett is a front of the rotation guy. Bucholz is the top SP in the Red Sox farm system if you exclude Jon Lester. Respectable offer at least for a player that is likely going to go elsewhere anyway after 08.

The parts I bolded is where I think john2jer got the idea that he was demanding we trade Johan.

That wouldn't be a terrible offer. Ortiz, Ponson, and Silva won't be here forever, and I am not sure that our pitching prospects outside of Garza will be top-of-the-rotation guys. Remember, Beckett was the ace on a World Series Champion team and is still only 27. Santana is 28. I don't know anything about the other prospects in that deal, but it seems like they are probably decent prospects
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#44 » by john2jer » Fri Apr 6, 2007 10:40 pm

You're all pretty much wrong.

What I said, and am still saying, is that we will start to see plenty of morons coming to this forum demanding we trade Santana because "the Twins can't affod him." I'm as settled as they come. try not to take everything so personal. ;-)

I just noted that your post about trading Santana, will one day become 20 "geniuses" demanding a trade daily, much like the Wolves board became. Not saying you demanded it, it just brought to mind what could happen, and likely will...

Basically it was an early call for the short bus. TOOT TOOT!
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 6:51 am

horaceworthy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Like kg2005 said, I meant he should have won in 2005, since he was still the best pitcher in the AL. He lost the ERA title to Millwood-by .01-, was the league leader in K's and WHIP, 2nd in IP-by 5 innings-, and generally outclassed the winner, Bartolo Colon, in every category except for wins, which is a statistic that needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. Apologies if I wasn't more clear with my original statement.

No, no, no apologies needed. I tend to read too fast when I read other posts.
maseda17
Senior

Post#46 » by maseda17 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:15 pm

maseda17 wrote:They should probably deal him after this year to a team that actually has a chance to extend him. You guys are going to have a strong staff regardless headlined with Liriano and Garza being more than capable of fulfilling the #2 role. How about Josh Beckett, Clay Bucholz, Jacoby Ellsbury for Santana from Boston? Ellsbury would fill in nicely at CF with Hunter leaving and Beckett is a front of the rotation guy. Bucholz is the top SP in the Red Sox farm system if you exclude Jon Lester. Respectable offer at least for a player that is likely going to go elsewhere anyway after 08.

Ha. I was mocked by Twins fans for even mentioning this back in April, now I have no question you would jump all over it. 10m is too much for Minnesota to pay Beckett? Care to rethink that?
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:01 am

Well then the question is...

Would you still do the trade you proposed? Throw in Mike Lowell and pay a quarter of his salary and its a done deal. Besides you guys are gonna make a run at A-Rod anyway.

Ellsbury
Bartlett
Mauer
Cuddyer
Morneau
Lowell
Kubel
FA DH
Casilla

And then...

Beckett
Garza
Liriano
Bucholz
Bonser/Silva?
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
maseda17
Senior

Post#48 » by maseda17 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:01 pm

No I wouldn't do it at this point due to Beckett's year and what he is doing in the postseason. The reason the trade made sense at the beginning of the year was the question of whether Beckett would get back to his dominance after a bad 06. Now that question is answered so that becomes too valuable a package to offer.
maseda17
Senior

Post#49 » by maseda17 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:03 pm

Lowell is a FA anyway.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#50 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Nov 7, 2007 7:56 am

After what Zito got he's easily worth around 150-160 mil.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#51 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 9:59 pm

maseda17 wrote:Ha. I was mocked by Twins fans for even mentioning this back in April, now I have no question you would jump all over it. 10m is too much for Minnesota to pay Beckett? Care to rethink that?

I knew this was coming after the World Series...but sorry but you would jump all over that deal just as much as we would...If you think Beckett looked good, you couldn't imagine having Santana...
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 10:02 pm

I'd possibly do a Beckett and Pedroia for Santana deal...
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#53 » by GswStorm3 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:22 pm

The Twins did offer Johan Santana a five-year, $93MM deal (18.6MM annually). The pact was designed to top Carlos Zambrano's by $1.5MM. Problem is that Santana isn't 1.6% better than Zambrano. He's a lot better than Z.

Santana countered by asking for $126MM, according to Christensen. His article implies that Santana asked for seven years in the counterproposal, since Santana's agent cited Barry Zito's deal and the dollar amount is the same.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/s ... l#comments
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by TheFranchise21 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I'd give him $120 million over 6 years. He'll be making a lot of money during the back end of the deal.

You cannot blame the Twins though, they offered, I thought, a very reasonable opening offer. It wasn't like they came out and offered $15-17 million. They came out and offered him what would be the highest average annual salary for a pitcher.

Right now I would settle no less than a CF prospect, a 3B prospect and a starting pitching prospect for Johan.

I would prefer we trade Johan to the National League.

Something like Kemp, Kershaw and LaRoche, although I doubt the Dodgers give up that much. You never know though since they did lose out on the A-Rod sweepstakes.

If we absolutely have to trade with the Yankees, I would want Cano, Hughes and either Kennedy or Chamberlain.

Here's a good article detailing the possible trading partners for the Twins and profiles of the players each team can offer.

http://www2.kfan.com/mostpopular/story. ... b6fd3a27f5
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Franchise...I have been hanging around the Yanks board and they would freak out if they heard that offer...lol...but I do think they are way under valuing him...

I offered them something like Cano, Melky and Kennedy for Tans...I didn't get much of a reply on the deal, which leads me to think, that they think that's too much...I am pretty sure that's a fair deal...Yankee fans are going to be shocked if a deal goes down, cause they will be sending a lot of talent to Minnesota...
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:18 pm

Santana is the best pitcher in baseball by far. I think its reasonable for us to sit and wait for a team to meet our demands.

I just want at least three studs for Santana. I don't consider Coco Crisp or Melky Cabrera studs either. Two bats and 1 pitcher or the other way around.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#57 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:02 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:Santana is the best pitcher in baseball by far. I think its reasonable for us to sit and wait for a team to meet our demands.

I just want at least three studs for Santana. I don't consider Coco Crisp or Melky Cabrera studs either. Two bats and 1 pitcher or the other way around.

Teams don't have to meet your demands though. The twins are in a bad spot. There are only 4-5 teams that realistcally have a shot to get him. The mets, who i don't think have enough to land Santana. The angels, who i don't think would seriously go after him. The Dodgers, Johan might not want to switch AL to NL, and they're also persuring Cabrera. And the red sox and Yankees. Santana supposedly (from a post on the yankees board) doesn't want to go to the Red sox. That means, the Yankees are the most realistic shot because they have both prospects and money.

I'd say it's between the Twins just not getting enough, the Yankees and the Red sox. I don't think the Red Sox will throw Ellsbury in. The yankees have a better package then the Red sox without Ellsbury in there.

With that being said, the Yankees can offer Kennedy, Horne, Melky and Jackson. This allows the Yankees to not give up Hughes, while the Twins are getting an ML ready pitcher and CF. If the yankees don't budge with the Hughes talks, the Twins can either do the Red Sox offer (which is worse IMO), do the Yankees offer i posted, or just keep Johan. I think they'd like to trade him because they can't afford him (am i right?) I heard that he doesn't want to go to Boston, so it basically comes down to the Yankees IMO.

I can tell you one thing, though. If you're expecting Cano, Hughes, and one of Chamberlain/Kennedy, then you're going to be in for a major dissapointment if/when Johan gets dealt.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by dunkonu21 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:22 am

All Santana trade talk should move to the new thread...
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#59 » by kg2005 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:39 pm

Agreed, there aren't enough people on this forum to talk about this in two different spots. We aren't worried about Santana on the open market anymore anyway.

Return to Minnesota Twins