Starting Rotation

Moderator: Ralnor

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Starting Rotation 

Post#1 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 11:15 pm

I have to admit, I have been very surprised with our starting rotation this year. We have 4 guys pitching very well right now, and 1 guy who's pitching pretty much like he's supposed to (Hernandez).

So what I'm hoping is Hernandez lowers his ERA a little bit so we can trade him for a prospect or two near the deadline. By then, Franchise should be ready to be up in the bigs full time.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Re: Starting Rotation 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 4, 2008 9:06 pm

You are right that the rotation has been pitching surprisingly well. I knew Hernandez would deliver, but I never expected what we are seeing from the other guys.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
NewWulf
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 5, 2008 2:47 am

klomp44 wrote:You are right that the rotation has been pitching surprisingly well. I knew Hernandez would deliver, but I never expected what we are seeing from the other guys.
I'm not the least bit surprised by Blackburn or Baker. I knew Baker would be good by how he finished last year off. That guy's got top of the rotation stuff. Blackburn does too.

I'm most surprised by Slowey because, prior to this year, he didn't have a real out pitch. I didn't doubt his control. I just didn't think he had the nasty stuff to get great hitters like Ivan Rodriguez or Manny Ramirez out.

Personally, I hope they don't rush Franchise back. Let him get his velocity back, then bring him back.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 154

Post#4 » by schaffy » Mon Jul 7, 2008 9:07 pm

The rotation this year has been the strength of the team, no doubt. And I agree that it is time to bring Franchise up soon because he has been pitching more consistently and improving in the minors. But I dont think they will get much of anything for Livan. Maybe an average AA player. I mean, a 33 yr old with a lot of innings on that arm, whose ERA has been going in the wrong direction the last 5 years (minus the one year he was hurt) and who's K's are going down making $5 Mill isn't great. He is a good innings eater, but most teams looking to contend this time of year want good pitchers who can get guys out, not just eat some innings. That is what young teams look for before the year starts (the reason the Twins signed him).
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#5 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 am

The Star Tribune Twins' beat writer, LaVelle E. Neal III said he doesn't expect Franchise up with the club until August at the earliest or when the rosters expand.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,526

Post#6 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Franchise has looked great his last 3 starts, if he continues we'll have to bring him up in August.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#7 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:15 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:The Star Tribune Twins' beat writer, LaVelle E. Neal III said he doesn't expect Franchise up with the club until August at the earliest or when the rosters expand.

That makes the most sense. Who would've thunk that the rotation would be more consistent than the bullpen?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:12 am

NewWulf wrote:
klomp44 wrote:You are right that the rotation has been pitching surprisingly well. I knew Hernandez would deliver, but I never expected what we are seeing from the other guys.
I'm not the least bit surprised by Blackburn or Baker. I knew Baker wouild be good by how he finished last year off. That guy's got top of the rotation stuff. Blackburn does too.

I'm most surprised by Slowey because, prior to this year, he didn't have a real out pitch. I didn't doubt his control. I just didn't think he had the nasty stuff to get great hitters like Ivan Rodriguez or Manny Ramirez out.

Personally, I hope they don't rush Franchise back. Let him get his velocity back, then bring him back.

I can't say I knew any of the starters were going to succeed but I did think we had a ton of guys who had a chance. Besides the 5 guys we already have starting we also had Liriano, Bonser, Mulvey and Humber. I figured out of that 9, it was likely that 3-4 at least would be OK.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#9 » by NewWulf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 am

Let's give credit to the Twins system of working fast, throwing strikes, making the other team beat you. I knew Baker would have excellent control. I also knew he had a great breaking pitch when he took a perfect game into the 9th against the Royals.

I liked what I saw from Blackburn, too, though he was inconsistent last year. I figured he had a shot at being in the rotation. I didn't know he'd be this effective, though. I thought he'd be a solid work in progress but he's surpassed that.

Think of next year's rotation: Liriano, Baker, Perkins, Blackburn, Slowey. Pencil them in for the next 3-4 years & I'll be a happy camper.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by kg2005 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Blackburn was inconsistent last year? I don't know about that. I think he did about as well as you could expect him to all year long. He's definitly been a surprise this year, and is probably playing over his head. He can be good, but maybe not quite as good as he's been so far. Think Carlos Silva.

As far as Slowey not having an out pitch- that's one of the most frustrating things I hear. If he doesn't have an out pitch then how did he get all of those outs in the minors? Curious, now that he's pitching well in the majors, which of his pitches developed into an "out pitch"?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#11 » by Worm Guts » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Blackburn was awesome in the minors last year, but terrible in his brief stint in the majors.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by kg2005 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:10 pm

Which was only 10 innings. You can't call him "inconsistent" for that.

Return to Minnesota Twins