ImageImageImage

Delmon Young

Moderator: Ralnor

NewWulf
Ballboy
And1: 0

Delmon Young 

Post#1 » by NewWulf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:00 am

Goodness gracious. Earlier this season, the sportswriters were complaining about not hitting with power but they aren't complaining about that after his rocket shot in Saturday night's game. I always figured that he had the power. I just wasn't sure when it'd click for him.

4 for 4 Friday, then 'only' 3 for 5 Saturday. He's hitting .350 since the start of June. Thanks to DY's power & Denard Span's defense & hitting, we've barely missed Michael Cuddyer, which is shocking.

Don't be surprised to see DY taking turns with the M & M boys in carrying the team the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if DY finished with a .310 BA with 10-12 HR's & 80+ RBI's. The middle of the order is getting lots of opportunities because of the speed of Punto, Span, Go-Go & Alexi. Get anyone of that bunch on & Mauer & Morneau will see lots of fastballs.
GeorgiaWolf
Sophomore
And1: 4

Re: Delmon Young 

Post#2 » by GeorgiaWolf » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Young has been saying all along that he would pick it up in the second half... So far so good.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#3 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:53 pm

I was never worried about him. I knew this would happen.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#4 » by kg2005 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 pm

I sure was worried. He was all kinds of terrible earlier this year, and he's still got some work to catch back up. It's hard to not have value when you're hitting .300, but Delmon is pushing it. He's a corner outfielder which means he needs to be compared to other corner outfielders, so he needs to hit even better. His walk rate is better than last year, but it's still pretty bad. If he can continue to hit for a little power like he has been everything will be fine, but his first 200 at bats this year were atrocious.

Return to Minnesota Twins