Mauer's Power Stroke

Moderator: Ralnor

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Mauer's Power Stroke 

Post#1 » by Klomp » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Wow, what changed? Last year, he hit 9 HRs in 536 ABs (.328 avg). This year, 8 HRs in just 72 ABs (.417 avg). He better not be on the 'roids....

EDIT: Stats were from before today
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: Mauer's Power Stroke 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Fri May 22, 2009 2:27 pm

You can never rule out someone being roids in baseball, but Mauer is 6'6 with incredible hand-eye coordination. You could almost argue that it's stranger that he displayed so little power in the past.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by TheFranchise21 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am

First, I think he's finally actually trying to hit home runs. The past three years I think he's just been trying to get hits (which ended up being mostly singles) period. Keep in mind home runs aren't always about power, bat speed is what counts the most. Obviously if you're stronger you can swing the bat faster but I have no doubts Mauer has really good bat speed.

All that said, like WG mentioned, I'm 99.99% sure Mauer isn't juicing, but that .01% is always there. I only have the slightest doubt because of the current state of the game. I don't think Mauer is juicing, but I can't be sure. I don't think he looks any different this year. He might be very slightly bigger that may be because I haven't seen him since last year.

If he pulls a Kyle Lohse on Gardy's door then I'll know he's been juicing. But right now I have no reason to believe he is juicing, other than because the current state of the game.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Jwade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Jwade » Mon May 25, 2009 12:36 am

Mauer was always expected to hit 30 homers in a season eventually. He's a big guy.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by TheFranchise21 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:16 am

Yeah, 6'5''/6'', 230-240lbs. so yeah he is a big guy. I don't know too many guys that big who can't hit home runs. I think his body is starting to fill out. I don't think it was ever fair to rule out him developing the power. I mean people were already saying that when he was 24-25. Now he's 26 entering the prime of his career so it would've been stupid to think he wasn't going to improve a little bit. He wasn't going to be a singles hitter his entire career.

Oh, and now that the power has come a long, isn't he the prototype #3 hitter now? I know he's been hitting pretty well in the 2 hole but with this added power makes him the perfect #3 hitter. If only they could find someone to put in the 2 hole ahead of him.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
collin_k41
Analyst

Post#6 » by collin_k41 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Mauer has just been awesome this year. They asked him in an interview why he's hitting so many more homeruns and he didn't even know. Personally, I think he's always had the power he just never hit the ball up in the air. Like it was said earlier he used to hit a lot of singles which I think is because he can put the ball wherever he wants (on the ground in gaps in the infield, short in the outfield) so there was no need to hit the ball up in the air to allow the fielders to get under the ball. It's really fun when you have the M & M boys so they can't pitch around Mauer because Morneau will make you pay for it the next AB. We're playing well right now, and I think it's mainly because of quality starting pitching. Let's keep it up!!

Return to Minnesota Twins