moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Re: K-Rod traded 

Post#61 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
If the Nets somehow manage to shed themselves of Bay and Santana (I would personally look to deal Wright before I deal Reyes) even if they sign Reyes to a $20 million per deal they can bring other big dollar guys on board. Not sure how different having Einhorn as the majority owner will do but just being in NY in a new stadium I think guarantees that the Mets aren't ever going to be the Pirates in terms of spend thriftiness.

What the Mets have done is made some really bad decisions with their money (under Minaya). Have to assume that Sandy Alderson would make better decisions. It looks like that step 1 is clear (get rid of big bad contracts that don't fit your future plans). Step 2 may actually be to then go out and sign some guys that can better fit the team. Can they compete with the Phillies? Probably not likely but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I think the only way you move Reyes is if you get the sense that he doesn't want to be a met or he throws out some outrageous new contract number that you simply aren't going to go near.

Along with what Pharm said, if your selling off players, don't do it half ass. I can't see a team dealing for Bay, considering he has had one good week over the past two years. I mean if you move Santana, why no blow it all up? All that does is make us lose our Ace and top pitcher.

Who really knows what the deal is with Einhorn and his ability to purchase the team in a few years. By us moving Rodriguez why would we go out and contend after that? Hell who is going to be our closer? Is it safe to assume that Parnell will step in nicely? Can Izzy recapture the old glory? Why not just keep Frankie? It's obvious we don't want his salary, that's only 18 Million.

Reyes is looking for a Crawford esque contract, lets face it he will get more. That's 22-24 million because A- He is a legit game changer. B- He is a great short stop. C- He plays much more of a value position.

You don't dump Frankie to resign Reyes, I think trying to use that logic just means your in denial.

The problem is you're really not selling off top notch (desirable) players (in Santana, Bay, KRod before he was dealt, etc). Other than Reyes and maybe Wright none of those other guys are going to help the Mets win anything so why would trying to get rid of them mean the Mets are going in any different direction than they are if they kept them????

KRod? He's not worth the trouble...not to mention the $17.5 million he'd be owed for next season. That's $17.5 million that can be better spent elsewhere.

Even if we assume that the Mets are looking to trim the salary it doesn't mean that they are going into the cheap business. They have a new freakin stadium that they need to freakin draw people to. They need players and they need some semblance of ability to win things in order to do that. Rebuilding (in the tear down and rebuild)? They're not going to do that.

I mean honestly...what useful young talent are they going to get for any of those guys not named Reyes or Wright? What rebuild are they going to muster going down that path? They aren't trading Kevin Garnett in his prime here.

What they can do is find if there are any teams out there (like the Brewers) who believe that they can make some noise buy adding the Mets big ticket guys, along with some cash, and take their salaries off the Mets hands so they can spend SOME OF the money elsewhere on better fits.

Now obviously finding suckers for Santana, Bay, etc. aren't easy but Santana and Bay hasn't done shite for the Mets to make so subtracting them (and their salaries) would likely actually make the Mets better.

And if they are going to deal Wright, see if you can deal him for a proven pitching help.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#62 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Wright is the one who will be traded if either Reyes or Wright are being traded. Wright has been just above average since Cain hit him in the head.

And it is fairly easy to build around Reyes if he can keep his OBP where it has been this year. All you need is players who don't actually suck hitting 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. He has played like a star his entire career outside of last year. If he didn't perform so terribly last year he would have already been locked up long-term. Reyes has played better than any position player this year outside of Jose Bautista and Adrian Gonzalez.

Mets have a winning record this year with trash around Reyes and Beltran, yet the Mets have a winning record. When you don't have 50 million on the disabled list it would be fairly easy to get a 90 win team around Reyes.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#63 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 pm

You never know what team is overpay for starting pitcher at the deadline, every year a team overpays for a marginal starting talent. I mean I'm not going to mention Kazmir, but we have been a victim of this in the past. I mean if you can get a prospect or two for either Pelfrey or Dickey, Id go for it.

Regarding the new stadium thing, that's where the whole entire Blue Collar comment I made earlier comes into play. What people want to see is a good game, guys that play the right way and are going to compete. Over the years we have had talent but never seemed to have the hunger. When we see guys like Turner/Murphy/Tejada etc scrap and get bye that lures the people IMO. Add into the the prospects that will be ready to come up next year were going to be OK.

C- Thole
1B- Davis
2B- Turner/Havens
SS- Tejada
3B- Wright
LF- Bay
C- Pagan/Martinez
RF- Murphy

Lets just say for the purpose of the discussion that is our lineup next year, we save money for the 2012 FA class.

Fielder, CC, Cano and Pujols. Those are the game changers in this free agency class this year, we won't get any of them. So clearly we are looking at 2012 to make a splash when the finances of this team is clear. I personally think that we are going into the cheap business next year, we have no reason to field big money players. I think we will see mostly our home grown players for us next year, meaning a major reduction in payroll.

I just don't see how this team keeps Reyes, lets Wright walk and goes from there. With all the injuries we had this year the fans are still coming in, IMO it has to do with more of us being a gritty team than just Reyes.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,903

Post#64 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 pm

K-Rod was a good move. We have good pitchers in the minors so we really could afford shedding him for young talent.

Trading Reyes for the right deal, sure. Trading Reyes for the sake of trading him for the best offer? naw.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#65 » by blueNorange » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:06 am

i'm just glad that murphy is breaking the hate that francesa brought on him

can't wait for him to do it at 2b, he's not that bad at defense ... people just exaggerate every error now.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,693

Post#66 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:28 am

blueNorange wrote:i'm just glad that murphy is breaking the hate that francesa brought on him

can't wait for him to do it at 2b, he's not that bad at defense ... people just exaggerate every error now.

plus the kid has never had a full spring training to work at he position he will be playing during the season to work on his craft. He gets thrown all around the infield and does a pretty solid job...plus he is one of the best hitters on the team.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#67 » by krustytheclown » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:33 am

id rather sign fielder than reyes
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#68 » by blueNorange » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:36 am

krustytheclown wrote:id rather sign fielder than reyes

well that's stupid considering the mets have ike davis who has a better glove and oh, btw was on pace for a 30 homerun and 90 walk season
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#69 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:42 am

Cant say im surprised he got traded. It dont make any financial sense for a team in the mets situation to pay a closer that much. It was a pretty obvious move for them. I think next move for them should be to trade beltran. They could get a nice package of prospects for him from an american league team.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#70 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 am

blueNorange wrote:
krustytheclown wrote:id rather sign fielder than reyes

well that's stupid considering the mets have ike davis who has a better glove and oh, btw was on pace for a 30 homerun and 90 walk season

Mets gotta be careful going after power guys with that stadium they play in...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#71 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:51 am

I don't understand the hate for Santana. The injury was a huge setback for him, but he was untouchable with the Mets pre-injury. He didn't get ANY run support, but he was lights out, and I really think when he comes back, he'll be the same old Johan.

Bay.... I feel bad for you guys. If I was the Mets I'd try to deal Bay+Reyes or Wright to someone willing to take a star along with a lard contract, and they wouldn't have to mortgage their farm. JMO
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#72 » by Mecca » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:54 am

blueNorange wrote:i'm just glad that murphy is breaking the hate that francesa brought on him

Fatcessa hates on him because Omar came on his show and claimed that Murphy was a future MVP candidate and batting champ. Murphy was NEVER that and he had undeserved hype. He is a solid hitter who really doesn't have a true position in the field, but can play a little of everything.

Omar's biggest problem was unjustified hype. F-Mart, Maine, Olly, Murph, etc..
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,341

Post#73 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:58 am

The Mets are pot committed to this team for a few years. I think they gotta keep Reyes and Wright. Build around them. They are the home grown talent that became stars and are in there prime. Mets aren't going to take 5 years to rebuild anyway. If they rebuild, it'll be a 2 year plan and they'll need vets.

But nobody is going to be knocking down the door to take Bay, Beltran. Maybe not even Johan. I'd try to trade him since he may never be the same.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
YungNeef
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#74 » by YungNeef » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:25 am

Can't believe I really read that somebody would rather have Prince Fielder over Reyes....Mets need to keep their homegrown superstars, not go out and spend money on a position they don't need at all.
robear
Junior
And1: 0

Post#75 » by robear » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 pm

K-Rod Sucked Anyway.
NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#76 » by NYman15 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:31 am

it was a deal they had to make. K-rod is still an effective closer but it was just too much money for the mets next year. They need that money to at least try and re-sign reyes and to add other players. Now with this deal they have at least 40 -50 million dollars coming off the books and that money will be used to keep building the club.

Return to New York Mets