ImageImageImageImageImage

Mets and Reyes have yet to discuss contract extension.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Mets and Reyes have yet to discuss contract extension. 

Post#1 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 7, 2011 3:40 pm

"The offseason already may be in full swing for the Mets, but Jose Reyes ' contract negotiations have not even started.

The four-time All-Star shortstop said Thursday that the Mets have not reached out to him yet regarding a new deal.

"They'll probably start up within the next few days," the free-agent-to-be said at a red-carpet event for ESPN the Magazine's Body Issue. "But right now, everything's quiet."

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JS ... nopaging=1

It's good to hear him say he thinks the contract extension talks will start in a few days. I still expect him to test free agency before deciding what to do. I think he wants to see what kind of offers he gets.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: Mets and Reyes have yet to discuss contract extension. 

Post#2 » by NYman15 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 am

"Chip Hale told ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin that he believes Ruben Tejada is ready to be an everyday shortstop for the Mets (in the event Jose Reyes leaves as a free agent)."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/18/chip ... -for-mets/

This is definitely a real possibility. If Reyes leaves, I expect we'll see Tejada be named the starting shortstop for the Mets. I was impressed more and more with Tejda as the year went on.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#3 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Here's an update on the Mets position in the Jose Reyes sweepstakes.

“I spoke to five Mets executives and the sense I got was they believe Jose Reyes will sign elsewhere and – at the least – they will be open-minded when teams inquire on David Wright,” Joel Sherman writes in today’s New York Post.

Sherman says he thinks the Mets will offer no more than four years with an option. However, with the Marlins, Nationals, Braves and Brewers as ‘potential strong pursuers,’ Reyes could command a six-year, $114 million-plus contract.

“We do want to re-sign Reyes, but not at something crazy,” a Mets executive told him. “If that one team steps up and blows him away, I think he will be wearing another uniform. If not, we’ll be in play.”

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/21/5-me ... /#comments
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#4 » by treiz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Glad to see that he's at least considering us, but I'll be very surprised if the Braves and Brewers especially don't throw him huge amounts of money.

I don't think there's any doubt Tejada will be our SS if Reyes goes, I am very impressed with his D seems to be Gold-glove potential IMO, but his bat leaves a lot to be desired.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#5 » by NYman15 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I'd love for him to stay, but if he does leave, I'd hate to see him in the NL East. I think if Prince Fielder leaves, we could definitely see the Brewers go after him and offer him a lot of money. I could also see the Marlins, Phillies, Nat,s and Braves all possibly go after him. I hope he ends up somewhere besides the NL East.

I also agree Tejada is the SS if Reyes leaves. I was very impressed with Tejada as the year went on. He's only 21, but he has great baseball instincts, a great glove, and his bat improved as well. I can't wait to see how he does next year.

Return to New York Mets