ImageImageImageImageImage

Mets announce big changes to Citi Field.

NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Mets announce big changes to Citi Field. 

Post#1 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:03 pm

"According to David Lennon of Newsday, “The Mets plan on revealing changes to Citi Field very shortly, but will probably have to wait until after World Series now.”

Lennon says to expect the left-field wall to be ‘shortened and pulled in,’ the right-center bullpen fences to be ‘pulled in,’ and Mo Zone ‘fenced off.’

The last day of the season, while broadcasting from Citi Field, WFAN’s Mike Francesa reported ALL fences in the outfield will be 8 feet tall next year. Also, he said both foul poles will remain exactly where they are, but the walls in center and by the Mo Zone in right field will be 390 feet."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/20/mets ... ield-soon/

I am definitely excited about this. I've been a proponent of making changes to Citi Field and bringing in the walls. I'm definitely excited to see how the changes affect the team and how it affects the home run hitters and players like David Wright and Jason Bay.

Update-
"The Mets have decided to bring in the fences at Citi Field for the 2012 season.

The fences will be brought in by as many as 12 feet and lowered to eight feet, plus changed to blue.

Citi Field has averaged just 1.43 home runs per game during its three-year existence."

Read more: http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1cOL61Usz

I definitely like this. I've wanted them to make changes to Citi Field for a while. I like that they'e gonna paint the walls blue like Shea Stadium and I like that they're gonna be bringing the walls in. No more Mo Zone, the big 415 ft. RF gap is moving in and the big wall in LF is staying where it, but they're building a new 8 ft. wall in front of it and that will be the wall that is in play. The old wall is just part of the stadium and that can't be moved.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: Mets set to announce changes to Citi Field soon. 

Post#2 » by NYman15 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:02 am

ESPN says changes will be announced after the World Series.

"Substantial dimension changes to Citi Field will be announced after the World Series, in an effort to make the 3-year-old ballpark more hitter-friendly, a team official confirmed."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ource-says

Basically says, the 16 foot wall in RF has to stay as it's part of the stadium, but a new 8 foot wall will be added in front of that wall and new seats will be put in between the walls as well.

Also, the Mo Zone will be moved in as well.

Lastly, the 415 feet RF area will be moved in to 390 feet.

I'm definitely excited for the new changes.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#3 » by NYman15 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm

"The Mets have already started renovations to Citi Field, according to people I have talked who have been to the ballpark over the last week.

They say the new distances to the outfield wall have been marked on the ground. It sounds to me like the new wall in right-center field totally eliminates the current warning track, which would support Adam Rubin’s report, and Mike Francesa’s report, indicating that wall will come in to 390 feet. Also in right field, it looks like the Mo’s Zone’s wall will cut straight across, rather than at an angle. Lastly, it sounds like there will be a new wall in center field, basically where the warning track is now, and it will be the height of the lower half of the original wall.

And so, based on what these people are describing, and based on what Rubin and Francesa have said, I’m guessing the new outline might look like this:"

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/24/work ... imensions/

This article shows you a picture of what the field could look like when they're done with the renovations. I'm excited about this. I think the ballpark should be more of a fair ballpark rather that a pitchers park. I can't wait to see how it looks when the renovations are done.
NYman15
Veteran

Post#4 » by NYman15 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:32 pm

"Yesterday, I heard from a few people close to the team who say the Mets are finally considering whether to change the outfield wall to blue in Citi Field (like it was at Shea Stadium). Right now, the outfield wall is ‘soot,’ which is the same color used throughout a majority of the ballpark."

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/10/27/mets ... ll-to-blue

I'd like it. I think it would look more like Shea. We'll see if they end up doing it. Looks like lots of changes are coming to Citi Field.
NYman15
Veteran

Re: Mets announce big changes to Citi Field. 

Post#5 » by NYman15 » Tue Nov 1, 2011 10:19 pm

"Yesterday, the Mets announced a series of changes to the outfield wall in Citi Field, which are being implemented to make the ballpark more ‘fair,’ as Sandy Alderson explained.

Any time you talk to a hitter about making a park more hitter-friendly, it’s a thing that we’re all for. … I’d like to think that I’m pretty good at going gap to gap. One of my biggest strengths, I think, is going the other way into right-center field. Hopefully this will help me with one of my strengths. … I don’t think anybody would say they enjoyed hitting in such a pitchers’ ballpark. I don’t think we ever looked at the field and it intimidated us. But obviously it’s frustrating at times when you hit a ball good and you don’t see the results that you want to see.”

~David Wright as quoted by ESPN New York"

http://www.metsblog.com/2011/11/01/wrig ... imensions/

These new dimensions should definitely help players like David Wright and Jason Bay. Hopefully, with the gates being moved in, it'll help players like Jason Bay hit more homers and be able to be that hitter the Mets signed him for.

Return to New York Mets