OT: New York Mets

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Re: OT: New York Mets 

Post#181 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:06 am

2010 wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
2010 wrote:Me thinks the injury scare to deGrom may be a blessing in disguise. It'll force us to take a more conservative approach with his innings for the rest of the season and it also allowed us the opportunity to get another look at Montero.

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Syndergaard up before the season ends. Even if it's just one damn start. But knowing the Mets, they won't.

I don't see the Mets bringing him up for a couple of starts. He is at a innings limit and its coming soon. He didn't light up AAA but who does in Vegas? He still needs to locate the ball better and I do hope he just stays in Vegas for the rest of the year.

Montero OTOH, has more feel of the game even though he doesn't have the overpowering stuff. He understands to mix things up which is what you need in the majors.

Yeah, I hear you. But the selfish part of me just wants to see Syndergaard get at least one start up here.

He should get a taste in late August/September before they shut him down. It'll be good for his development to get a feel for major league hitters.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Post#182 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 am

Montero should definitely get another chance. If he played the Phillies instead of the Nats, he might have gotten a 2-3 ER game and get people to think highly of him.

Playing the Nats after a bunch of AAA games is a little fast imo.
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,218

Post#183 » by 2010 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:01 am

I missed the game so I'd like to know he he looked? Was he laboring or did he just make 3 mistakes that got jumped on and taken for a ride over the fence?

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Stannis
RealGM

Post#184 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:36 am

2010 wrote:I missed the game so I'd like to know he he looked? Was he laboring or did he just make 3 mistakes that got jumped on and taken for a ride over the fence?
I'm on vacation atm, so I didn't get to watch either. I tried, but MLB TV said I was blacked out.

Anyway, I just looked at the box score and read up on recaps.

He allowed two 2-run homers. Both were with 0 outs. And 1 solo homer. 7 hits. In six innings. I'd say he was unfortunate to make some inexperienced mistakes at the wrong times against the wrong hitters.

A bad showing, but no shame in that happening against the Nats after months in the AAA. They are a tough team, and have been killing the Mets all year.

He's got the Cubs next, so it should be easier for him.
Free Palestine
superjay779
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#185 » by superjay779 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Hopefully DeGrom's shoulder gets better. Thats my favorite Met pitcher
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#186 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:13 am

superjay779 wrote:Hopefully DeGrom's shoulder gets better. Thats my favorite Met pitcher

More than The Dark Knight himself? Top 5 pitcher in all of baseball when he was healthy.
Harvey is special. I like DeGrom too though.
RealGM

Post#187 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:18 am

Matt Harvey dgaf

“I think the tough part with that is just how good I feel, how good the ball’s coming out,” Matt Harvey said. “I threw a bullpen [session Wednesday] and didn’t miss a spot. I feel like I was easily throwing in the low-to-mid 90s with pretty much no effort.”

On Jeremy Hefner’s situation.

“He felt great the whole time and then once he started facing some hitters, he had some trouble,” Harvey said. “Everybody’s different. There’s no saying that a guy can’t come back in 10 or 11 months and be fine and in some other cases, it might take 13-14 months. For me, I’m going off how my body has felt during this whole process and it’s been nothing but success and as a competitor, I want to move forward.”

“One of the reasons why we have tried to back Matt off is because of how he is mentally,” Terry Collins said after the Mets lost to Washington, 3-2, at Citi Field. “The guy is a bulldog. There’s no such thing as low-speed. The phone calls made [Tuesday] were, ‘Look, back down a little bit’ and yet [Wednesday] he went out and threw a 27-pitch bullpen.”

So what’s the answer?

“I’m going to put my head through a wall,” Collins said with a smile.

Collins said he is trying to get Harvey to throw at a much slower speed.

“I want to see a hump in the throw,” Collins said, meaning he doesn’t want Harvey even approaching 90 miles per hour. “Matt doesn’t know what that means.”
Harvey underwent elbow surgery following last season, roughly two months after Hefner and the Mets are concerned the transition from throwing bullpens to throwing in games may have been what triggered Hefner’s new injury.

Link

RealGM

Post#188 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:52 am

Wheeler having another typical Wheeler game.

Stannis
RealGM

Post#189 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:53 am

^^^ Great to hear.

As far as this season, I rather not see him come back as a starting pitcher. Maybe a MR for an inning or 2.

Rather the Mets not risk injury again. No way they make the playoffs this year. keep pitching healthy next year, after making 1-2 key trades to help the offense, where the Mets can actually make the playofs.
Free Palestine
RealGM

Post#190 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:58 am

Travis Knight wrote:^^^ Great to hear.

As far as this season, I rather not see him come back as a starting pitcher. Maybe a MR for an inning or 2.

Rather the Mets not risk injury again. No way they make the playoffs this year. keep pitching healthy next year, after making 1-2 key trades to help the offense, where the Mets can actually make the playofs.

Hmmm...I wouldn't shut him down unless there's reason to. Each start furthers his development and increases his confidence. I get what you're saying but we also can't baby these guys. An arm can be blown out at any time. There's really no exact science to it. Now if he feels any type of pain or discomfort, then yeah...shut it down.

Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#191 » by Daaaarryyl » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:25 am

Jeffrey wrote:Steven Matz has a killer fastball and HE IS A LEFTY. He is a local kid who had 2 Tommy Johns but he has been injury free the last couple of years and you can see why the Mets like him a lot. His curveball is now a plus pitch and thats a huge step for pitchers.

One TJS, not two.

Although he did have enough complications a year after the surgery that many thought he was on the verge of retirement.

His curve is not a plus pitch, at least not yet.

Improving, yes.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
RealGM

Post#192 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:44 am

Nice article on Conforto

Link

Stannis
RealGM

Post#193 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:34 am

2010 wrote:

Hmmm...I wouldn't shut him down unless there's reason to. Each start furthers his development and increases his confidence. I get what you're saying but we also can't baby these guys. An arm can be blown out at any time. There's really no exact science to it. Now if he feels any type of pain or discomfort, then yeah...shut it down.
Only reason I am worried is b/c I think he is about 2 months away from the usual full one year recovery time.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#194 » by Stannis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:35 am

2010 wrote:Nice article on Conforto

Link

Might me just my issue, but the articles you are linking keep directing me to this article:

"Urlacher back with Bears after mother’s death"
Free Palestine
RealGM

Post#195 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:08 am

Travis Knight wrote:
2010 wrote:Nice article on Conforto

Link

Might me just my issue, but the articles you are linking keep directing me to this article:

"Urlacher back with Bears after mother’s death"

Holy cow. You're right. No idea how that happened. Anyhow, here's the link:

http://nypost.com/2014/08/15/mets-top-p ... me-at-all/

RealGM

Post#196 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:11 am

Travis Knight wrote:
2010 wrote:

Only reason I am worried is b/c I think he is about 2 months away from the usual full one year recovery time.

Haha, I just realized this is one big miscommunication. I'm talking about Wheeler and you're talking about Harvey LOL.

When you pointed up with the " ^^^ " and made your comment, I think you had thought my Harvey post was above you. But by the time you posted yours I had wrote a post about Wheeler. So when you said "shut him down" it made me think you wanted to shut Wheeler down. lol. Hence why I disagreed.

But yeah, Harvey should definitely be taking it easy and going the conservative route.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#197 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:26 am

Hey, I'd like a word with my fellow Mets fans who wanted to trade one or more of our prized young arms for either Cargo or Tulu. Next time maybe you'll listen to this Grey Ghost when he tells you not to trade off our pitching for these to Humpty Dumpties.

http://www.purplerow.com/2014/8/14/6001 ... ut-for-the

Thursday Rockpile: Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez are out for the rest of the 2014 season
By Jordan Freemyer  @jfreemyer on Aug 14 2014, 7:00a 439

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for the Rockies in 2014, Troy Tulowitzki will undergo season-ending surgery in Vail on Friday and an MRI revealed a worsening of Carlos Gonzalez's tendinits that will likely sideline him for the remainder of the season as well.

Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki out for season with torn labrum - The Denver Post
After yet another loss in San Diego on Wednesday, the Rockies suffered perhaps their biggest loss of the season when it was announced that Troy Tulowitzki would undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip that would sideline him for the rest of the season. Expected recovery time from the surgery is five months.

Rockies' Carlos Gonzalez is likely done for the season after playing in just 70 games - The Denver Post
Not only is Tulo gone for the rest of the season, an MRI revealed a worsening of the condition in Carlos Gonzalez' left knee that may require surgery and will almost certainly end his 2014 season.
Free Palestine
RealGM

Post#198 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:48 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Hey, I'd like a word with my fellow Mets fans who wanted to trade one or more of our prized young arms for either Cargo or Tulu. Next time maybe you'll listen to this Grey Ghost when he tells you not to trade off our pitching for these to Humpty Dumpties.

Thursday Rockpile: Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez are out for the rest of the 2014 season

Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse for the Rockies in 2014, Troy Tulowitzki will undergo season-ending surgery in Vail on Friday and an MRI revealed a worsening of Carlos Gonzalez's tendinits that will likely sideline him for the remainder of the season as well.

After yet another loss in San Diego on Wednesday, the Rockies suffered perhaps their biggest loss of the season when it was announced that Troy Tulowitzki would undergo surgery to repair a torn labrum in his hip that would sideline him for the rest of the season. Expected recovery time from the surgery is five months.

Rockies' Carlos Gonzalez is likely done for the season after playing in just 70 games - The Denver Post
Not only is Tulo gone for the rest of the season, an MRI revealed a worsening of the condition in Carlos Gonzalez' left knee that may require surgery and will almost certainly end his 2014 season.

This is why as I said previously, I want to stay as far away from these two as possible. Only guy I'm trading Syndergaard or Wheeler for is Giancarlo Stanton.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#199 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:14 am

2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Hey, I'd like a word with my fellow Mets fans who wanted to trade one or more of our prized young arms for either Cargo or Tulu. Next time maybe you'll listen to this Grey Ghost when he tells you not to trade off our pitching for these to Humpty Dumpties.

This is why as I said previously, I want to stay as far away from these two as possible. Only guy I'm trading Syndergaard or Wheeler for is Giancarlo Stanton.

2010, weren't you one of "them" who supported trading Thor for Tulo? Hmmm 2010? Tell the truth.

Free Palestine
RealGM

Post#200 » by 2010 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:27 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:This is why as I said previously, I want to stay as far away from these two as possible. Only guy I'm trading Syndergaard or Wheeler for is Giancarlo Stanton.

2010, weren't you one of "them" who supported trading Thor for Tulo? Hmmm 2010? Tell the truth.

Nope. Go back and check the thread. I've consistently been saying I prefer to just keep our young guns: Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Syndergaard, and Montero. I'd prefer to just sign Melky and trade our vets Niese/Gee for minor offensive parts. Keep Colon as short-term insurance.

Only guy I'd part with any of our young starters for is Giancarlo Stanton.

Return to New York Mets