ImageImageImageImageImage

Can't Believe the Mets Aren't Spending/Making Moves

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,960

Can't Believe the Mets Aren't Spending/Making Moves 

Post#1 » by Stannis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59 pm

No offense to Michael Cuddyer, but I already know he's going to have a mediocre season. He's old. This is probably his last MLB contract.

Are the owners really this poor? Wtf are they waiting for? The Mets need bats. And they will have one of the best pitching. The time is now.

They can't wait just wait for the minor league prospects to be MLB material in 1-3 years, because by that time, they will have to use their money on extensions for players who will likely want more money (like Harvey and Wheeler).
Free Palestine
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Re: Can't Believe the Mets Aren't Spending/Making Moves 

Post#2 » by riter » Sun Feb 1, 2015 10:48 am

agreed. this is ridiculous.
My only hope was that they traded a position player and pitching prospect for a legit major league short stop------to both strengthen our defense and hitting lineup---and that hope is all but gone.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... -well.html

Since the departure of Reyes, the Mets have had particular trouble filling his role. This offseason, the issue has remained for New York, growing in concern among fans with each passing day as the position lacks a reliable, productive starter on a team slowly reconstructing.

Many times, Rockies' All-Star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki has been linked to the team, his tantalizing numbers seeming too good for Flushing: a .340 BA last year with a skyrocketing OPS of 1.035; but these numbers come with the demoralizing fact that he only made it into 91 games - the second year out of the last three in which he was failed to make it into at least 100. Regardless, Tulowitzki would be a huge get - but the Mets won't get him. He's a franchise player worth $157 million, and as a Mets beat writer put it in early January, acquiring him had "never been a likely scenario."

Nor is it likely that they'll land 2016 free agent-to-be Desmond, with whom they had also been linked this offseason. A three-way trade involving Washington and Tampa had been discussed, but in the end, the other two teams decided they could pull the deal off without involving the Mets, and did. Pulling in Desmond would have likely been a mere rental for one year anyway, and cost the Mets one of their very valuable young pitching prospects. And the Mets aren't close enough that a single Ian Desmond would have put them over the top.

Prior to both Tulo and Desmond, the Mets had even attempted to snare Jimmy Rollins, who refused to go. The closest the Mets may get to a real starting shortstop is their GM Sandy Alderson introducing Cal Ripken at a recent awards event this month:

“It’s a big night for me and for Mets fans who have been waiting all winter for me to introduce a shortstop.”

While Mets fans buried their faces into their hands, there continued to not be an answer at shortstop on their 40-man roster. In lieu of a Desmond or Tulowitzki, they seem to be settling on Wilmer Flores.

Poor, poor Wilmer Flores.

Prior to both Tulo and Desmond, the Mets had even attempted to snare Jimmy Rollins, who refused to go. The closest the Mets may get to a real starting shortstop is their GM Sandy Alderson introducing Cal Ripken at a recent awards event this month:

“It’s a big night for me and for Mets fans who have been waiting all winter for me to introduce a shortstop.”

While Mets fans buried their faces into their hands, there continued to not be an answer at shortstop on their 40-man roster. In lieu of a Desmond or Tulowitzki, they seem to be settling on Wilmer Flores.

Poor, poor Wilmer Flores.

The 23-year-old, after 105 games in the majors and 354 at-bats, is hitting .240/.275/.356. Not awful, especially for a younger guy, but the concerns lie in Flores' fielding range, placement, and accuracy. But it's not really his fault; he was stationed at third in the minors in 2011, having been moved from short for exactly the reasons just listed. However, the Mets didn't need a third baseman last season, they needed a shortstop, and with middle infielder supplies low, they dropped Flores in the spot and watched what happened.

...At this point, with Tulowitzki a fairy tale, Desmond not an option, and Stephen Drew's main appeal being that he's not Wilmer Flores, Flores will almost definitely be starting for the Mets this year. The other tangible option is Ruben Tejada, who was Wilmer Flores last season in that he was being tasked with the Mets' shortstop role mostly because somebody had to do it."
riter
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,531

Re: Can't Believe the Mets Aren't Spending/Making Moves 

Post#3 » by riter » Sun Mar 1, 2015 4:24 pm

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12400 ... stinations

"But when Rollins assembled his choice of preferred offseason trade destinations, the Mets ranked surprisingly high on his list.

Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsFormer Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins said the Dodgers were his preferred choice, but the Mets were his No. 2 choice in the offseason.

Rollins' 15-year tenure in Philadelphia ended in December when the Phillies traded him to the Los Angeles Dodgers for two minor-league pitchers. He had to waive his 10-and-5 trade rights to allow the deal to come to fruition.

If it hadn't been the Dodgers, Rollins said Saturday, the Mets were the second most likely alternative.

"This was my No. 1 landing spot," Rollins said from Los Angeles' spring training camp, "and I considered the Mets to be No. 2. They have some arms over there -- oh my gosh."

:evil:

Return to New York Mets