ImageImageImageImageImage

What would you have the Yankees do in the Off-Season?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,240

Re: What would you have the Yankees do in the Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by moocow007 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 12:39 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
if arod suspension is overturned, NY will be forced to do your plan above to get below 189, which means even a worse product on the field than this year

ARod's got a team of the best in the business in being able to argue their clients out of even fair judgments. I can't see MLB being able to argue and win a 211 game suspension with no more proof than what other guys got 50 game suspensions for. "Setting an example" or finding a "scapegoat" won't fly under independent arbitration. The only way that MLB would have gotten that is if ARod actually agreed to it (which is what they were hoping for). IMHO the best they'll get is 50 game suspension. So what's $30 million x (162-50/162)? That's what ARod will be counting against that magical $189 number.

You all know I was being sarcastic right? :D :D

The thing is, they are going to do EXACTLY the above and that is the part that is not funny. Maybe this year they will admit it's a "transition" instead of the lie they portrayed as being "contenders". Only dumb luck, some managerial skill and whatever pride the old yankees had left, made it resemble a "playoff chase". Face it, the Yanks were never really in it this past season. It's going to be worse next year.

Oh I agree lol. They should have just looked to do what the Sox did last season, shuck as many big dollar guys and reload.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#22 » by Vides990 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 4:43 pm

moocow007 wrote:Oh I agree lol. They should have just looked to do what the Sox did last season, shuck as many big dollar guys and reload.

Agree, but thats too forward thinking for them.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#23 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Oct 2, 2013 5:42 am

Russell Martin just shoved it in the face of Cashman 2 Hrs in the Pirates win.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,334

Post#24 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 am

Yanks will go "hard" after this Japanese pitcher. Yeah. And if they get him, it figures. This guy sounds like a true # 3 pitcher. Meanwhile, Darvish, with Ace potential, Yank were interested? Not so much.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/yankees-ex ... e-pitcher/
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,122

Post#25 » by Pharmcat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Yanks will go "hard" after this Japanese pitcher. Yeah. And if they get him, it figures. This guy sounds like a true # 3 pitcher. Meanwhile, Darvish, with Ace potential, Yank were interested? Not so much.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/yankees-ex ... e-pitcher/

he is not as good as yu

yanks just have no idea what they are doing, need a new FO
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#26 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Exactly; now they'll spend big money, on a guy a LOT of scouts see as a 3/4. Meanwhile, the guy most scouts saw as an ACE, meh, Yanks not interested.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#27 » by Pharmcat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:45 am

ryu with 7 innings of 3 hit ball in a must win game

yanks didnt even bother with him
NBA4u
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#28 » by NBA4u » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 pm

moocow, great analysis, I couoldnt agree more. whats more important is that those moves put them back into contention. atleast playoff contention even though it will be a tough AL east but with Price on the move thewn things could get easier.

resigning Cano is close to a must tho. sure 300m is out of this world money. but he is worth getting paid and has proven to be a extremely durable and efficient player. I can;t see the faults of signing him to a long term deal
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,591

Post#29 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 am

Word is Abreu is going to sign with the White Sox.. 6 years 68 million. Sucks.. would've been nice to have him in pinstripes.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,591

Post#30 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 am

Pharmcat wrote:ryu with 7 innings of 3 hit ball in a must win game

yanks didnt even bother with him

These last several years we just haven't went after any of the good foreign talent. I doubt we win the bid on Tanaka.. Abreu is just about to sign with CHW... we missed out on Darvish... didn't go after Puig.. I mean WTF?????? A little excitement for the fan base would be good. The Boss would've never let us miss out on some of these guys. Heck the last exciting foreign guy we snagged was El Duque... FUgg Cashman already man.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#31 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 pm

The problem being, A-Rod, Teixiera, & Sabbathia's contracts all count as Cashman & Hal Steinbrenner want the payroll to be under the luxury tax. They had the perfect opportunity with the injuries and a horrible season by Sabbathia to tank and collect a top pick.

Nope.

Instead they had to add Soriano, Reynolds and despite the "bargain" all it did was take the Yanks out of the draft and a near miss for the second wild card.

This franchise is looking VERY NY Knick-ish. Can't scout. Can't draft. The doctors can't diagnose or find an injury (must've been recommended by Amar'e). No resources whatsoever. So even if the Yankees tanked, can they be trusted to make the right pick? MLB is very 50/50 with picks. Keep in mind how long it takes for draft picks to ripen.

The rotation is a mess. Andy Pettitte who had the best ERA on huge staff going into the final 8 starts is retired. Kuroda looked his age in the second half. He might return for a big pay cheque.

Is Pineda EVER going to suit up? Seems to have a bout of "Carl Pavano-itis." THAT is why you DON'T hire a GM who is a lawyer and was never a scout.

I thought this season was very interesting, OAKLAND of all franchises went out and bid on a player. When money ball franchise that has not even close to the salary of the Yankees can sign a young outfielder....that says a lot about these times.

Meanwhile the Yanks have flirted with the idea of 38 year old Beltran to play CF next season.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#32 » by Pharmcat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:01 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:The problem being, A-Rod, Teixiera, & Sabbathia's contracts all count as Cashman & Hal Steinbrenner want the payroll to be under the luxury tax. They had the perfect opportunity with the injuries and a horrible season by Sabbathia to tank and collect a top pick.

Nope.

Instead they had to add Soriano, Reynolds and despite the "bargain" all it did was take the Yanks out of the draft and a near miss for the second wild card.

This franchise is looking VERY NY Knick-ish. Can't scout. Can't draft. The doctors can't diagnose or find an injury (must've been recommended by Amar'e). No resources whatsoever. So even if the Yankees tanked, can they be trusted to make the right pick? MLB is very 50/50 with picks. Keep in mind how long it takes for draft picks to ripen.

The rotation is a mess. Andy Pettitte who had the best ERA on huge staff going into the final 8 starts is retired. Kuroda looked his age in the second half. He might return for a big pay cheque.

Is Pineda EVER going to suit up? Seems to have a bout of "Carl Pavano-itis." THAT is why you DON'T hire a GM who is a lawyer and was never a scout.

I thought this season was very interesting, OAKLAND of all franchises went out and bid on a player. When money ball franchise that has not even close to the salary of the Yankees can sign a young outfielder....that says a lot about these times.

Meanwhile the Yanks have flirted with the idea of 38 year old Beltran to play CF next season.

i think the yankees aura was over when they didnt get hanley ramirez

hanley fit the yankees mold: high dollar talented player who had worn his welcome out and team looking to deal him....yanks in the past would jump on these type of players....when they didnt get him, I knew something was up....and our concerns were right....they lost out on yu, cespedes, puig to other teams...this FO has ruined the yankees
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#33 » by GnarlesOakley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:29 am

It's a good thing George isn't around to see the Red Sox lift another trophy while the Yankees and Cashman fall into obscurity.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:24 am

Oh I really can't wait for the look on Hal & Cashman's faces. Like Pharmcat said, the Yankees could have 3 young stars in the making just one or two seasons ago but someone slept on the fact, there aren't many FAs out there who won't force the Yanks to overpay.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#35 » by Pharmcat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Oh I really can't wait for the look on Hal & Cashman's faces. Like Pharmcat said, the Yankees could have 3 young stars in the making just one or two seasons ago but someone slept on the fact, there aren't many FAs out there who won't force the Yanks to overpay.

yep FA market is slim, so you have to pay

better of risking that money in the IFA, where yanks missed prospects like puig cespedes

the different between BOS and NYY is that lester and clay panned out while phil and joba busted
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#36 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I also think these "rankings" over how well teams draft are suspect. Yanks allegedly drafted third best. Behind Pirates and D-Backs but what does that really mean? Neither the Pirates nor D-backs are winning a WS any time soon. Plus, they're ALWAYS drafting high.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#37 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:45 pm

Wake me up when everyone realizes the Steinbrenner son's just want to extract cash from the team and are not interested one lick in competing (in any real way) or winning or anything.

They are like Dolan x1000. Minus the paranoia but not interested in winning a thing, just filling seats enough to make some $.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#38 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 5, 2013 8:55 am

ANYONE think Pineda will make 20 starts next season? Starting to think PEDs...

McCann wants too much money and he's starting to take on some wear/tear. Ellsbury is 30, already getting injured. FAs for pitching are awful.

Yea, I do believe Cashman will have to bring back guys like Granderson who won't break the bank book because they'll take 1 year deals.

Gonna be a long couple of seasons...

but what I Want is the Yankees to trade their prospects for even better prospect or two.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#39 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Nov 8, 2013 5:53 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:ANYONE think Pineda will make 20 starts next season? Starting to think PEDs...

McCann wants too much money and he's starting to take on some wear/tear. Ellsbury is 30, already getting injured. FAs for pitching are awful.

Yea, I do believe Cashman will have to bring back guys like Granderson who won't break the bank book because they'll take 1 year deals.

Gonna be a long couple of seasons...

but what I Want is the Yankees to trade their prospects for even better prospect or two.

What prospects?
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#40 » by Vides990 » Fri Nov 8, 2013 11:36 pm

If Cano isn't getting any offers, just wait it out Cashman. We need to know more about the Arod contract for next season before doing anything rash. Maybe 7 yrs 150 for Cano can happen!
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.

Return to New York Yankees