ImageImageImageImageImage

Yanks sign Ellsbury to 7 yr, 153 million deal

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Re: Yanks sign Ellsbury to 7 yr, 153 million deal 

Post#21 » by knickabocker88 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:40 pm

The length of the Contract doesn't mean the Yankees won't try to sign Mike Trout in 2017.

If the Yankees get production in the 1st 3-4 years, can't complain. This also marks a systematic change in the Yankees Org

The Yankees now have the best defensive OF alignment in Baseball with Gardner/Ellsbury/Platoon in RF.

The Yankees have more Contact 1st hitters who put the ball in play, have solid OBP's, Work the Pitch Count, can run which gives Girardi more options. Cano (he will resign) will many more RBI chances this year.

Ellsbury
Jeter
Cano
Tex
DH (I hear the Yankees are still looking for 1 more bat)
McCann
Ichiro
Nunez (If A-Rod gets banned)
Gardner
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,122

Post#22 » by Pharmcat » Thu Dec 5, 2013 12:03 am

even a day after, this signing gets worst by the minute

elsbury is on the wrong side of 30, weak HR power, his D is not that much better than ichiro, his best asset is stealing but we know that declines in the 30s

this will go down as one of the worst contracts ever
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#23 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Dec 5, 2013 3:40 am

That contract is 4 yrs on the house...

Cano is gone. Yanks need A LOT of help on SP.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,333

Post#24 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 5, 2013 1:00 pm

Pharmcat wrote:even a day after, this signing gets worst by the minute

elsbury is on the wrong side of 30, weak HR power, his D is not that much better than ichiro, his best asset is stealing but we know that declines in the 30s

this will go down as one of the worst contracts ever

First off, it's only in the steroid era that teams expected big HR numbers for a CF. Yes, there were Mays and Mantle and others, but it was like getting HR numbers for a SS.

He'll probably get better HR numbers at yankee stadium, but it's not the point. He's an EXCELLENT fielder. Yes his steals will go down. From 70/50 like numbers into the 30's.

Yes, it's too long, but that's probably the cost of getting players now, for all teams.

Name the other young OF"s available, the ones under 30, that the Yanks could just snatch up?

Basically, he was the best FA in the group, yet folks are complaining?

I was annoyed, thought he was injury prone, but it seems the two injuries were kind of freak - one was crashing into another player in OF. Yet, he may be, not sure, but I hope not.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#25 » by Butch718 » Thu Dec 5, 2013 3:59 pm

Let me ask you guys something. Would you have preferred Choo over Ellsbury? He would have cost less and probably could have been had for 5 maybe 6 years tops.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Dec 5, 2013 9:24 pm

I would have preferred the Yanks left the outfield alone with Ichiro getting $6M, Soriano's contract is mostly paid for by the Cubs (expiring), and Gardner is up for arbitration and can provide some of the numbers Ellsbury puts up excluding that one year, where he had an MVP kind of year (think 2011?). Wells is your 4th outfielder who is expiring as well with the Angels picking it up.

That said, the problem with Choo is he doesn't add much speed and I think Girardi wants a more athletic line up to do more hit and run.

Between the two, Ellsbury has the more upside but Choo is more consistent.

Yanks have SO MANY holes to fill: SP, Closer, 3B, 2B...and really the FA market was NOT worth over paying for anyone.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#27 » by Butch718 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 1:32 am

Choo isn't Ellsbury, but he does have decent speed. He's had 20 plus stolen bases in four out of the last 5 years.

How's Choo's glove? I know Ellsbury when healthy provides elite defense, I'm not so sure about Choo. Let's say the Yanks don't resign Cano and sign Choo, do you think they trade Gardner for some infield help? If so, what are some realistic options?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Dec 6, 2013 2:59 am

Don't think Gardner is going to command too much trade value.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#29 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 3:30 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Don't think Gardner is going to command too much trade value.

Why do you say that? He's probably the most underrated OF in all of baseball, even with arbitration his salary will still be in line with production.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#30 » by Butch718 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 11:19 pm

Yeah I think you could get a decent return for him in some sort of package. He's excellent defensively and should be able to post upwards of 30-40 plus steals when healthy. Which is more than enough to make up for his lack of power. I could see a lot of teams being interested in that.

But again, this is assuming that they sign Choo or Beltran, would would make Gardner an expendable asset due to our crowded OF situation.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#31 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:22 am

Ok, fine. So you say but I don't believe he is that much an asset to team that have what the Yankees need, starting pitching. Let's not forget this front office hasn't exactly orchestrated the best of deals in recent years.
Sportsfan00
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Sportsfan00 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:43 am

So after some time to digest this signing (7yrs) is obviously too long but that's what happens in FA. I believe the Yankees knew someone was going to give Cano 10 yrs and they were going no place near that and I don't blame them or him for how it turned out. Considering the Beltran signing and the depth at outfield they should remain healthy and very productive. His injuries on the DL were because he plays hard. Not because he's injury prone. If 189 m is still the target then they have around 5 mil left to play with but keep in Mind that if arod is suspended then north of another 25 m is available to address SP. I believe CC will bounce back and take pressure off kuroda plus nova. They add 1 more solid starter and then a battle for # 5 between Pineda, warren & Phelps (2 of whomever will be long RP) they are much improved over last year. Obviously 2b will be weaker but you don't need an all star at every position.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#33 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Well, the # of years to Ellsbury's contract adds insult to injury.

I've been a critic of Cano's hot dogging cross-body throw/defense since 2009. I understand passing on Cano's demands.

That said, passing on Cano and then taking a guy who doesn't have his kind of production, ONE great year...with that kind of contract. That's THREE yrs on the house.

That kind of speed on the bases could have been supplemented.

Now, here's the question is Gardner who is a 4th outfielder on a lot of teams, is he good enough to get the Phillies to give up Cole Hamels? Don't add prospects because nobody wants anything from the Yanks farm right now.

Return to New York Yankees