Update: Cano Signs with Mariners for 10 yrs/240 Mill

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,809

Re: Update: Cano Signs with Mariners for 10 yrs/240 Mill 

Post#21 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:16 pm

No problem with Cano. Over $50 million and 3 more years? Not many are going to walk away from that. I'll say it, Jay-Z did a great job.

I've no problem with the Yankees not giving him that contract either.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 84,983

Post#22 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:20 pm

Who gives a rats ass about M fans coming in here and talking up their team? Enjoy Cano jogging down to 1st base for 10 years. Wait until he wilts being the man. You've been warned. And good luck when he hit 36+, where you still have him for 5 years.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,738

Post#23 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:36 pm

Benny Blanco wrote:So from the sound of it, this works for almost everyone. The Yanks don't overpay, the Mariners get the big name they've been missing since the 90s, and Cano is set for the rest of his career. But the real losers are Yankee fans. Our best homegrown player from the post-90s era has been lured away to another team. That's something that's been unheard to Yankee fans for years.

I think people could say that Cano is money grubbing and isn't trying to win, but he's going to a young team on the upswing. Maybe he thinks they are close to being contenders, so possibly he made a very shrewd move. If he didn't think there would be a good young team forming around him in NY, especially considering he is in the midst of his prime years, it makes sense.

But we just saw Cano's prime years Sure he may have 2 or 3 more maybe 4 but you can''t pay him for 10. There is no more magic potion that makes guys great into their 40's. You can't give guys over 30 more than 7 years it doesn't matter who they are or what farm team they played on. The Yankees have been old for too long and giving a 31 year old a 10 year deal isn't going to change that.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Mariners to offer Cano 9yrs/225 Million? 

Post#24 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:45 pm

Bulltalk wrote:We have plenty of young players under contract control:

--Nick Franklin
--Brad MIller
--DJ Peterson
--Bill Paxton
--Dustin Ackley
--Taijuan Walker
--Danny Hultzen
--Kyle Seager
--Mike Zunino
--etc...

What we don't have is ANY punch in the middle of the order. We've got good young bullpen potential. We've got as good of a one-two starting pitching punch in Felix and Iwakuma, and young arms in Walker and Paxton, etc... We simply don't have ANY middle of the lineup star hitters. We HAD to get one. The M's are LOADED with money now, and still have a low payroll even with Cano now. We draw 3 million when we are competitive, but we haven't been forever.

I don't expect an east coaster to understand the BUZZ this has generated out here. A buzz that we haven't felt around here in a long time.

For US to steal the YANKS prime FA! That's HUGE out here to us.

But you didn't steal him they let him go. You had to outbid the Yanks by 60-70 million dollars to get him. I can't believe I just wrote that. The only other time I remember this happening is with Matsuzaka. The New York Yankees drew a financial line in the sand with their own home grown superstar and you just ran past it naked and on fire.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#25 » by Bulltalk » Fri Dec 6, 2013 9:15 pm

sully00 wrote:

--Nick Franklin
--Brad MIller
--DJ Peterson
--Bill Paxton
--Dustin Ackley
--Taijuan Walker
--Danny Hultzen
--Kyle Seager
--Mike Zunino
--etc...

What we don't have is ANY punch in the middle of the order. We've got good young bullpen potential. We've got as good of a one-two starting pitching punch in Felix and Iwakuma, and young arms in Walker and Paxton, etc... We simply don't have ANY middle of the lineup star hitters. We HAD to get one. The M's are LOADED with money now, and still have a low payroll even with Cano now. We draw 3 million when we are competitive, but we haven't been forever.

I don't expect an east coaster to understand the BUZZ this has generated out here. A buzz that we haven't felt around here in a long time.

But you didn't steal him they let him go. You had to outbid the Yanks by 60-70 million dollars to get him. I can't believe I just wrote that. The only other time I remember this happening is with Matsuzaka. The New York Yankees drew a financial line in the sand with their own home grown superstar and you just ran past it naked and on fire.

The thing is, Mariner fans don't care that they spent that much money. It's not our money. We might care if it hamstrung us from making further moves, which it doesn't. We still have a boatload of money to spend. We're in the running for Beltran, Choo, Billy Butler, and even David Price, if we're willing to give up Taijuan Walker for him. We don't care if he's only great for 5 more years. We could care less. We want to be better now, and for the next 4-5 years when we still have King Felix in his prime. And this deal is certainly not as bad as the deal you guys gave ARod, is it?
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#26 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 9:17 pm

Bulltalk wrote:This deal is certainly not as bad as the deal you guys ARod, is it?

IMO it's the same. They're basically the same age (at the time of the contract) and Cano has put up NONE of the numbers that Arod has, at least with Arod you were paying a top 25 baseball player of all time. Cano is just good, it's why none the of the Yankee fans will miss him at this price. I do agree with you, decent move for Seattle though.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Bulltalk » Fri Dec 6, 2013 9:22 pm

Vides990 wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:This deal is certainly not as bad as the deal you guys ARod, is it?

IMO it's the same. They're basically the same age (at the time of the contract) and Cano has put up NONE of the numbers that Arod has, at least with Arod you were paying a top 25 baseball player of all time. Cano is just good, it's why none the of the Yankee fans will miss him at this price. I do agree with you, decent move for Seattle though.

Fair enough. But I would argue that Cano is a top 6-7 players in the game now, and could very well remain so for the next 5 years. We'll have to wait and see. We all know that the deal sucks in years 7-10, but hell, I might be dead by then. :lol:

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by sully00 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 9:55 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
sully00 wrote:

--Nick Franklin
--Brad MIller
--DJ Peterson
--Bill Paxton
--Dustin Ackley
--Taijuan Walker
--Danny Hultzen
--Kyle Seager
--Mike Zunino
--etc...

The thing is, Mariner fans don't care that they spent that much money. It's not our money. We might care if it hamstrung us from making further moves, which it doesn't. We still have a boatload of money to spend. We're in the running for Beltran, Choo, Billy Butler, and even David Price, if we're willing to give up Taijuan Walker for him. We don't care if he's only great for 5 more years. We could care less. We want to be better now, and for the next 4-5 years when we still have King Felix in his prime. And this deal is certainly not as bad as the deal you guys ARod, is it?

Sure it is because it has nowhere near the upside. I hated the ARod deal they should have let him go but he had just had a career year, 54 hrs 156 RBI the MVP. Your not going to get that out of Cano in two seasons. Cano continues to play great and this deal sucks. The Yankees outfield is filled with mistakes like this that other teams have made and SEA will be paying 18 mil a season for Cano to DH for someone else soon enough.

But that doesn't mean you as a SEA fan shouldn't be excited you should but ...and there is a big but ...
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Bulltalk » Fri Dec 6, 2013 11:02 pm

sully00 wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:
sully00 wrote:

The thing is, Mariner fans don't care that they spent that much money. It's not our money. We might care if it hamstrung us from making further moves, which it doesn't. We still have a boatload of money to spend. We're in the running for Beltran, Choo, Billy Butler, and even David Price, if we're willing to give up Taijuan Walker for him. We don't care if he's only great for 5 more years. We could care less. We want to be better now, and for the next 4-5 years when we still have King Felix in his prime. And this deal is certainly not as bad as the deal you guys ARod, is it?

Sure it is because it has nowhere near the upside. I hated the ARod deal they should have let him go but he had just had a career year, 54 hrs 156 RBI the MVP. Your not going to get that out of Cano in two seasons. Cano continues to play great and this deal sucks. The Yankees outfield is filled with mistakes like this that other teams have made and SEA will be paying 18 mil a season for Cano to DH for someone else soon enough.

But that doesn't mean you as a SEA fan shouldn't be excited you should but ...and there is a big but ...

Again, you have to "get" where the Mariners are at to understand how the Cano signing has huge potential upside for us. We've been the most pathetic scoring team in baseball the last 5 years. Secondly, the entire perception of us as a franchise changes, particularly in regards to FA's. We have good pitching. We got no runs, no middle of the order. You have to consider these things from our perspective out here to fully understand the upside of this deal for us. Already other FA's are looking at us more seriously now. We might get some more. Who knows, we might contend for a playoff spot not too long from now, and we haven't done that in a more than a decade.

We're not the Yankees. Never will be. But we need to be better than we've been, and Cano's signing will get us moving in the right direction in a hurry.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#30 » by Butch718 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 11:30 pm

Bulltalk wrote:You're missing something though. As a Mariner fan, we have sucked for years now. The Mariners have also just garnered a huge new TV deal giving them oodles of money to play with. Even with the Cano signing, we have a ton of money to play with, low payroll commitments, can sign/acquire two more big money FA's. We needed to make a major move with rapidly declining gate receipts in recent years. We also needed to sign a big FA (even if overpaying him) so as to attract other FA's, become more of a destination for them. We had to start somewhere to become legit again. 5-6 years of great Cano production is fine and dandy to us.

You have to be out here as a Mariner fan to understand the fan lethargy that had to be shaken off.

That's the thing though. I honestly don't think you're going to get 5-6 years of great production. More along the lines of 2-3 years before you start seeing a decline. This is why as a Yankee fan, I'm not upset about losing him. For once I'm glad some other team is saving us from ourselves. A 10 year deal worth that much would have been a disaster for this organization. Especially when we just foolishly committed to 7 years and 153 million to Ellsbury. Only short sighted fans(those yelling on radio shows) would be up in arms over the Yankees not breaking the bank to Cano.

As for the reasons why the Mariners did it, I hope it works out in terms of getting fans excited and drawing other FA's to come to Seattle.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,553

Post#31 » by moocow007 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 2:34 am

Thank goodness the Yankees didn't go anywhere near that. This will hurt for the next 2-3 years but they'll be thankful after that. But I think it was clear when they signed Elsbury and McCann that they were essentially saying see ya to Cano. They need to focus on pitching. Between Elsbury, McCann, Soriano and Texeira they have just about enough for the meat of the order. But pitching is their biggest question mark. CC looked like poo last season. Petite retired. Nova is like a Victoria's Secret model with memory loss and personal hygiene issues. And Pineda has yet to prove that he's not the modern day Hideki Irabu. The rest of the fill in starters aren't real starters...not for what the Yankees want to do. And with Rivera gone its a talented but iffy David Robertson as the only real reliever in the pen. It's actually good that Cano didn't drag this out. Now the Yanks can start looking at signing some pitchers.
Benny Blanco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 59

Post#32 » by Benny Blanco » Sat Dec 7, 2013 4:41 am

sully00 wrote:
Benny Blanco wrote:So from the sound of it, this works for almost everyone. The Yanks don't overpay, the Mariners get the big name they've been missing since the 90s, and Cano is set for the rest of his career. But the real losers are Yankee fans. Our best homegrown player from the post-90s era has been lured away to another team. That's something that's been unheard to Yankee fans for years.

I think people could say that Cano is money grubbing and isn't trying to win, but he's going to a young team on the upswing. Maybe he thinks they are close to being contenders, so possibly he made a very shrewd move. If he didn't think there would be a good young team forming around him in NY, especially considering he is in the midst of his prime years, it makes sense.

But we just saw Cano's prime years Sure he may have 2 or 3 more maybe 4 but you can''t pay him for 10. There is no more magic potion that makes guys great into their 40's. You can't give guys over 30 more than 7 years it doesn't matter who they are or what farm team they played on. The Yankees have been old for too long and giving a 31 year old a 10 year deal isn't going to change that.

Oh I totally agree. There was no reason to give him a ludicrous 10 year contract, no matter how good he is now. And honestly, he's nowhere near that good. I'd be hard pressed to name any 31 year old baseball player who is. My comment was discounting the financial aspect and just saying that we're losing a great home grown player.

Return to New York Yankees