No Arod Extension Talk since spring???

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#21 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:53 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we need to pay 25-30 million dollar a year for one player who is going to be in his mid to late 30s during that entire contract, then yes I'd be content to go into the season with MAYBE one 20 HR guy.

I don't care how good Arod is now, that contract would be dreadful. We don't need to lock ourselves into those types of contracts. Just because we have that type of money doesn't mean we should spend it irresponsibly.

If we give ARod a contract worth $180 million over 6 seasons, what's wrong with that? ARod has had ZERO injuries to speak of in his entire career, there is nothing that tells me he will be a crappy power hitter in 3 years at the age of 34, heck he will hit until he is 40. And of those 6 years, even if he ONLY gives us 4 MVP type seasons (until he is 35 or so) and one so so season at the age of 36, and a subpar season at the age of 37, then that would make the contract well worth its money. You're acting like ARod is already 35 years old, he has 4 more years until he is that age. It would be absolutely foolish to think ARod is dying down in 2-3 years.

EDIT: And he is so ridiculously strong and in such great shape, even if he did lose something at the age of 35 or 36 he could still knock out 35-40 home runs with ease.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#22 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:14 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we give ARod a contract worth $180 million over 6 seasons, what's wrong with that? ARod has had ZERO injuries to speak of in his entire career, there is nothing that tells me he will be a crappy power hitter in 3 years at the age of 34, heck he will hit until he is 40. And of those 6 years, even if he ONLY gives us 4 MVP type seasons (until he is 35 or so) and one so so season at the age of 36, and a subpar season at the age of 37, then that would make the contract well worth its money. You're acting like ARod is already 35 years old, he has 4 more years until he is that age. It would be absolutely foolish to think ARod is dying down in 2-3 years.

EDIT: And he is so ridiculously strong and in such great shape, even if he did lose something at the age of 35 or 36 he could still knock out 35-40 home runs with ease.

There is absolutely no reason at all to give him a $30 million dollar a year contract when he didn't make that during his prime. Now you are just throwing numbers around and being unreasonable. This isn't MVP Baseball.
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#23 » by 34Celtic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:28 am

I miss MVP baseball, that was the best game ever
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#24 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:46 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There is absolutely no reason at all to give him a $30 million dollar a year contract when he didn't make that during his prime. Now you are just throwing numbers around and being unreasonable. This isn't MVP Baseball.

I'm not throwing out numbers. ARod will opt out, and only to get more money and years than he is making now. If you think he is getting any less than $30 million per season over 5 years then you cannot be any more mistaken.

Return to New York Yankees