BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#21 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we keep him in a Yankee uniform, he isn't getting anything less than $25 million. It would be very foolish to not just give in and throw another $5 mil in there per season. The guy is way too good. We have no power in our lineup anymore with the exit of Sheff and the demise of Giambi, plus the power that never developed for Matsui. ARod is the Yankees offense for now and until his contract is up. You can't let that get away.

You can sit here and say he isn't worth $30 million, but the truth is you won't get a player that can put up numbers remotely close to his for anything less than $20 million. If we can give Jeter over $20 mil, Giambi over $20 mil, if Ichiro can make $20 mil, then give ARod his damn 30.

That's not how businesses should work. "Well, I made one mistake, so it's ok if I make another".

Arod hasn't performed like an elite player here for 2 out of his 4 years here. When he goes into a slump next year, is he going to be affected like he always is when the fans boo?
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#22 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 am

If we keep him in a Yankee uniform, he isn't getting anything less than $25 million. It would be very foolish to not just give in and throw another $5 mil in there per season. The guy is way too good. We have no power in our lineup anymore with the exit of Sheff and the demise of Giambi, plus the power that never developed for Matsui. ARod is the Yankees offense for now and until his contract is up. You can't let that get away.

You can sit here and say he isn't worth $30 million, but the truth is you won't get a player that can put up numbers remotely close to his for anything less than $20 million. If we can give Jeter over $20 mil, Giambi over $20 mil, if Ichiro can make $20 mil, then give ARod his damn 30.

That's not how businesses should work. "Well, I made one mistake, so it's ok if I make another".

Arod hasn't performed like an elite player here for 2 out of his 4 years here. When he goes into a slump next year, is he going to be affected like he always is when the fans boo?
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod 

Post#23 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 am

It wouldn't be fair for them to hold ARod responsible. He has never asked the Yankees to discuss his contract now, it would be the Yankees coming to him. If anything they should take it out on Cashman.

Take it out on Cashman? :rofl: :rofl: It's Arod and Boras who negotiated this **** of a contract, not Cashman.

If anyone, Arod should be blamed for not telling us point blank whether he is staying with the Yankees. Why can't he just honor his 3 year/ 81 million dollar deal and see what happens at the end of the contract? Arod is the one holding this franchise up, if there was no question about whether he was going to stay with the Yankees this wouldn't be an issue in the first place.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#24 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:11 am

How exactly has ARod given away more than he has given us? Two MVP awards in 4 seasons here (assumption, of course) and in those two "bad" years he provided 36 homers and 114 RBI on average, as well as 22 SB on average and a line of .288/.384/.518. If Jeter, Matsui, Posada, Giambi, or Sheff put up those numbers they would be dubbed MVP candidates. When ARod did it, he was holding this franchise back. And the fact that you even used the word dreadful to describe him is just laughable.

Who are you planning on replacing him with? I'm just curious. Keeping ARod is an absolute must for this franchise, whether it means giving him $30 million or not. There is no such thing as a star player for any less than $20 million anymore.

Did you not forget last year? He couldn't get a clutch hit to save his life and was an .800 OPS guy until the last month of the year when he boosted his stats with a killer September after the division was already clinched. In 2004, he had an .887 OPS. If that is elite, then you have some awfully low standards.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#25 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:12 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The fans won't boo him, they've more than learned their lesson. There have been seasons where even Jeter didn't perform at an elite level, does that mean he shouldn't be paid so? ARod is an elite player, and you are more than knowledgeable enough to recognize that. He should be paid like one. His body language is just different this season, he even looks happier than Jeter on a nightly basis when they show him in the dugout. I have absolutely zero doubts that he will be an elite player for years to come, even in NY. Nothing that I have seen in the past 4 months tells me otherwise. Something clicked in this guy's head, because he is 100% comfortable here. And if 35 homers and 120 is what he does when he is "uncofmortable" here, then give him the $30 million and lets watch a comfortable ARod hit 45 homers a season in pinstripes.

I could sit here and argue that in fact, ARod's two "bad" seasons were in fact nearly elite. Only one right handed hitter has ever hit 40 home runs in Yankee Stadium, it was Joe D and he only did it once. ARod's 35 and 36 homers in 2004 and 2006 are nothing to laugh at. He hit 45 in 2004 and SHOULD hit 50+ this year. He has been an elite player in pinstripes, even with his struggles.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 am

Take it out on Cashman? :rofl: :rofl: It's Arod and Boras who negotiated this **** of a contract, not Cashman.

If anyone, Arod should be blamed for not telling us point blank whether he is staying with the Yankees. Why can't he just honor his 3 year/ 81 million dollar deal and see what happens at the end of the contract? Arod is the one holding this franchise up, if there was no question about whether he was going to stay with the Yankees this wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

ARod holding this franchise back. :rofl:

He has an opt out clause, he can use it. It's basically that simple. I'm glad you aren't the Yankees GM, I would have nightmares of a 3-4-5 of Matsui/Posada/Cano. And even more nightmares when we face the Angels, who already own us, come into Yankee Stadium with Vlad and ARod.

Why the hell should ARod honor his contract? As I said, he isn't begging the Yankees to buy him out and let him become a free agent. The clause is in his contract, so he is technically honoring it. ARod has said a number of times he wants to be a Yankee and refuses to talk about his opt out clause, so it isn't as if he is the one stirring all of this information. It is completely media driven. Once we play a team, there is a report that they will be targeting ARod. He has no reason to say he won't opt out, he has the option so why not leave it open? He'll make a lot more money that way.

EDIT: I look at it like this. We need ARod much more than he needs us, so he can take us to the bank and we'll just have to accept it. If he does so, he is only being a smart businessman. Get yours while you can. Isn't it basically the American Dream? He doesn't owe anybody anything, he is one of the greatest talents in baseball history and all people want to do is tarnish his career for no good reason.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#27 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:25 am

The fans won't boo him, they've more than learned their lesson.

The New York fans won't boo him? Come on, you know better than that. This is New York. The next time Arod goes into a big-time slump, he'll be booed big-time. Until he wins a World Series here, he'll always have that microscope over him.

There have been seasons where even Jeter didn't perform at an elite level, does that mean he shouldn't be paid so? ARod is an elite player, and you are more than knowledgeable enough to recognize that.

If Arod is elite, so is Giambi.

He should be paid like one. His body language is just different this season, he even looks happier than Jeter on a nightly basis when they show him in the dugout.

So we are going to use body language as a determining factor in a $30 mil a year outlay to his age 40 season? Thank god you aren't the GM.

I have absolutely zero doubts that he will be an elite player for years to come, even in NY.

I have doubts. The next time he gets booed, he'll shrink like he always does and he'll go in a megaslump.

Nothing that I have seen in the past 4 months tells me otherwise. Something clicked in this guy's head, because he is 100% comfortable here.

We heard that in 2005. What happened in 2006.

And if 35 homers and 120 is what he does when he is "uncofmortable" here, then give him the $30 million and lets watch a comfortable ARod hit 45 homers a season in pinstripes.

It's not just about the homeruns. In 2004 and 2006, he didn't hit for average all that well. His defense also struggled in 2005 and 2006, who is to say he won't revert back to being E-Rod in 2008?

I could sit here and argue that in fact, ARod's two "bad" seasons were in fact nearly elite. Only one right handed hitter has ever hit 40 home runs in Yankee Stadium, it was Joe D and he only did it once. ARod's 35 and 36 homers in 2004 and 2006 are nothing to laugh at. He hit 45 in 2004 and SHOULD hit 50+ this year. He has been an elite player in pinstripes, even with his struggles.

If a .915 OPS and an .880 OPS in any stadium are considered elite, then this really isn't worth discussing. He's a third basemen, there is a certain amount of offensive production that is needed to be considered average, then above average, then all-star worthy, then elite. Arod has been all-star worthy in 2004 and 2006, and elite in 2005 and 2007. Arod isn't a shortstop anymore, he needs to be a 1.00 OPS guy to be considered elite.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#28 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:
He has an opt out clause, he can use it. It's basically that simple. I'm glad you aren't the Yankees GM, I would have nightmares of a 3-4-5 of Matsui/Posada/Cano.

I'm glad you aren't the GM, or we'd have an outfield of Ichiro/Jones/Hunter all getting paid $20 million and Arod getting paid $30 million. You would have no budget, we would have a payroll of $300 million within 2011.

And even more nightmares when we face the Angels, who already own us, come into Yankee Stadium with Vlad and ARod.

I am not worried about the Angels. Let them do what they have to do, we'll do what we have to do.

ARod has said a number of times he wants to be a Yankee and refuses to talk about his opt out clause, so it isn't as if he is the one stirring all of this information. It is completely media driven.

If Arod didn't want this, he should have waived his opt-out clause before coming to New York. I don't feel sorry for Arod, this is what happens when you negotiate a contract like Arod did. You become analyzed under a microscope. Arod doesn't like that??? Too bad. Don't blame the media for this, Arod completely brought this on himself.

Once we play a team, there is a report that they will be targeting ARod. He has no reason to say he won't opt out, he has the option so why not leave it open? He'll make a lot more money that way.

He already has a ton of money, if he is as good as you think he is, once his contract is over in 2010 he'll get another 3-4 year deal.

EDIT: I look at it like this. We need ARod much more than he needs us, so he can take us to the bank and we'll just have to accept it.

Thank god Cashman doesn't think this way. "Here Arod, just completely own us". The fact is that we've won World Series without Arod before, we will again. We don't need him.

If he does so, he is only being a smart businessman. Get yours while you can. Isn't it basically the American Dream? He doesn't owe anybody anything, he is one of the greatest talents in baseball history and all people want to do is tarnish his career for no good reason.

Nobody is tarnishing his talent. I have not seen anybody do that here, I have not seen anybody do that this year. Stop making stuff up. Stop acting like Arod is all innocent in all of this. He brought this upon himself.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#29 » by Pharmcat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 am

good, get it done

but i must admit, due to the loyalty that Riv and Po have given us, they should be extended the courtesy to start negotiating now too
mets87
Senior
And1: 0

Post#30 » by mets87 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:21 am

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:50 am

The New York fans won't boo him? Come on, you know better than that. This is New York. The next time Arod goes into a big-time slump, he'll be booed big-time. Until he wins a World Series here, he'll always have that microscope over him.

It would take a 0 for 50 slump in order for them to boo him in the near future. He has not been putting up stats, but doing so in the 9th inning, against the Red Sox, etc. He is having a dream season for all Yankee fans and himself.

If Arod is elite, so is Giambi.

Giambi was elite 3 years ago.

So we are going to use body language as a determining factor in a $30 mil a year outlay to his age 40 season? Thank god you aren't the GM.

Stats, quotes, body language, etc. all play a role. No, I'm not going to give $30 million to the guy who smiles the most in the clubhouse. Stop exaggerating stupid crap like that, you know very well what I am saying. By the looks of it, he is acting and playing like he has turned the proverbial "corner" in a Yankees uniform.

I have doubts. The next time he gets booed, he'll shrink like he always does and he'll go in a megaslump.

So you're a psychiatrist now, cool.

We heard that in 2005. What happened in 2006.

He was great in 2005, but the playoffs turned that all to nothing. He is still going to have a strong postseason and ultimately a strong WS for everything to be erased, that is definitely true.

It's not just about the homeruns. In 2004 and 2006, he didn't hit for average all that well. His defense also struggled in 2005 and 2006, who is to say he won't revert back to being E-Rod in 2008?

He hit .286 and .290, those are hardly bad numbers. In 2004 he was gold glove caliber, in 2005 he was still very solid, he just broke down last year for whatever reason. Three solid to great seasons against one bad doesn't convince me he will revert back to being bad. Why be so negative in EVERY aspect? He is a great athlete with a great arm, E-Rod is long gone. Heck it only existed for about 2 weeks.

If a .915 OPS and an .880 OPS in any stadium are considered elite, then this really isn't worth discussing. He's a third basemen, there is a certain amount of offensive production that is needed to be considered average, then above average, then all-star worthy, then elite. Arod has been all-star worthy in 2004 and 2006, and elite in 2005 and 2007. Arod isn't a shortstop anymore, he needs to be a 1.00 OPS guy to be considered elite.

I like the odds of ARod being a 1.000 OPS guy on a yearly basis. Only a select few are, and they are usually DH or 1B. That is how great ARod is. I'm not going to do the research, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find 3B who consistently put up .900 OPS on a yearly basis in the history of baseball, none the less 1.000.

I'm glad you aren't the GM, or we'd have an outfield of Ichiro/Jones/Hunter all getting paid $20 million and Arod getting paid $30 million. You would have no budget, we would have a payroll of $300 million within 2011.

Hmm, I don't recall ever saying how much money I'd give Ichiro or Hunter or Jones. I know I don't even want Hunter or Jones on this team. I've said I want Ichiro, but not at the $20 million he is going to get. So that is a pretty foolish thing to say. I'll pay ARod, never said I'd pay those guys. Still not quite sure where you're going with that one...

I am not worried about the Angels. Let them do what they have to do, we'll do what we have to do.

It was just an example of how painful it would be for this franchise to have ARod walk.

If Arod didn't want this, he should have waived his opt-out clause before coming to New York. I don't feel sorry for Arod, this is what happens when you negotiate a contract like Arod did. You become analyzed under a microscope. Arod doesn't like that??? Too bad. Don't blame the media for this, Arod completely brought this on himself.

Why should you feel sorry for ARod? I never said that either, just that he doesn't owe anybody anything, which I think is true. Even ARod doesn't feel sorry for himself. He has never said he ''doesn't want this'' attention or anything like that, just that he is waiting until the offseason to discuss those types of things. That's exactly what he should say unless the Yankees come to him with an offer, which may happen now.

He already has a ton of money, if he is as good as you think he is, once his contract is over in 2010 he'll get another 3-4 year deal.

It isn't a question of him getting another contract, it's a question of getting another contract at $25+ million. It won't happen at that age unless he is hitting 60 home runs, which also won't be happening.

Thank god Cashman doesn't think this way. "Here Arod, just completely own us". The fact is that we've won World Series without Arod before, we will again. We don't need him.

Clearly Cashman does think this way, or else there would not have been this news today. And you're right we have won without him, but we had guys on those teams hitting 40 homers and providing exactly what ARod is providing us now. Without him, we lose that. Would the Yankees have won those rings without the likes of Tino, O'Neill, or Justince hitting all their homers? It isn't likely. By no means am I saying home runs wins titles, but every team needs a power threat. I'm not exactly willing to put that responsibility on Matsui or Posada, both of which struggle to hit 20 homers at this point.

Nobody is tarnishing his talent. I have not seen anybody do that here, I have not seen anybody do that this year. Stop making stuff up. Stop acting like Arod is all innocent in all of this. He brought this upon himself.

I'm not making anything up, I was talking about the media, not this forum. The guy gets ridiculed like he is part of a circus act. Whether it is self inflicted or not, it still exists.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#32 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:07 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote: By the looks of it, he is acting and playing like he has turned the proverbial "corner" in a Yankees uniform.

Everybody said that in 2005. What happened in 2006. He shrunk. He wasn't elite in 2006. That's what he is going to be paid if we extend him... he is going to be paid like an elite player. The fact is, 2 out of his 4 years have not been elite. End of story.

He was great in 2005, but the playoffs turned that all to nothing. He is still going to have a strong postseason and ultimately a strong WS for everything to be erased, that is definitely true.

So what are you saying if Arod goes 3 for 30 in the playoffs and he goes into his first slump next year, fans aren't going to boo him? LOL, yeah right.

I like the odds of ARod being a 1.000 OPS guy on a yearly basis. Only a select few are, and they are usually DH or 1B. That is how great ARod is. I'm not going to do the research, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find 3B who consistently put up .900 OPS on a yearly basis in the history of baseball, none the less 1.000.[/quote]
Then Arod shouldn't be getting a $150 mil/5 contract. If we are going to pay him elite money, he needs to be elite. He needs to be a 1.00 OPS guy every year.

And I'd bet against those odds in your first sentence.

Why should you feel sorry for ARod? I never said that either, just that he doesn't owe anybody anything, which I think is true. Even ARod doesn't feel sorry for himself. He has never said he ''doesn't want this'' attention or anything like that, just that he is waiting until the offseason to discuss those types of things. That's exactly what he should say unless the Yankees come to him with an offer, which may happen now.

Arod doesn't owe anybody anything, we don't owe him anything. We don't owe him a symphathy contract because he was booed in 2006.

It isn't a question of him getting another contract, it's a question of getting another contract at $25+ million. It won't happen at that age unless he is hitting 60 home runs, which also won't be happening.

When is enough enough? This is reason why Arod is so lambasted by the media. It's all about the money for him. Why can't he just wait until he is 35 and then take the $17 mil a year contract that Bonds is getting???? Why does it always have to be about money?

Clearly Cashman does think this way, or else there would not have been this news today. And you're right we have won without him, but we had guys on those teams hitting 40 homers and providing exactly what ARod is providing us now. Without him, we lose that. Would the Yankees have won those rings without the likes of Tino, O'Neill, or Justince hitting all their homers? It isn't likely. By no means am I saying home runs wins titles, but every team needs a power threat. I'm not exactly willing to put that responsibility on Matsui or Posada, both of which struggle to hit 20 homers at this point.

We never had any 40 home run guys on those teams (except for Tino one year). We won because of our pitching. I'd rather spend $15 mil on two top of the line pitchers then $30 million on one top of the line hitter. But that's just me.

I'm not making anything up, I was talking about the media, not this forum. The guy gets ridiculed like he is part of a circus act. Whether it is self inflicted or not, it still exists.

He gets ridiculed because he negiotated that contract that pays him more than any other baseball player ever. That's why. He's going to have a microscope on him, like it or not. He only gets ridiculed when he does something stupid, like that bush league play in Toronto. Don't act like Arod doesn't bring anything upon himself.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:09 am

At this point we're just repeating ourselves...
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#34 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:12 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:At this point we're just repeating ourselves...

So you admit you're wrong. :D

The bottom line to me is... I just don't want to lock up our future on one player. Arod isn't THAT valuable. He isn't some frontline, future HOF ace who can singlehandedly lead you to the World Series. As we've seen the last few years, Arod can't do that.

And the fact that we'd be locking him up at $30 mil until he was 40... that is the reason I don't like that deal. It ruins our flexibility, I don't care if we are the Yankees, we still have a budget.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:16 am

So you admit you're wrong. :D

The bottom line to me is... I just don't want to lock up our future on one player. Arod isn't THAT valuable. He isn't some frontline, future HOF ace who can singlehandedly lead you to the World Series. As we've seen the last few years, Arod can't do that.

And the fact that we'd be locking him up at $30 mil until he was 40... that is the reason I don't like that deal. It ruins our flexibility, I don't care if we are the Yankees, we still have a payroll.

Fair enough, but we have had a lot more money wrapped up in a lot worse players. At one point, we had Giambi (injured), Pavano, Wright, Karsay, Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, etc. all on the roster at the same time. That is what ruins flexibility, not having one of the all-time greats making more money than everybody else. If we rid ourselves of the dead weight and make smarter decisions, ARod's contract won't even be a thought. That's just how I see it. ARod is more of the solution than the problem here, and I just feel we should keep him at all costs.

Don't worry about using ARod's money on free agent pitchers, worry about using money from Clemens, Pettitte, Farnsworth, and Moose on free agent pitchers. Money will be available even with ARod under contract, we don't have too many young players that will be getting big paydays anytime soon. There is room for ARod's $30 million if you think about it.

Thank god we at least agree on most minor league stuff :lol:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#36 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:37 am

Above all, I think Cashman being willing to discuss a contract extension with Arod during the season sets this up as a PR situation. Cashman is trying to extend Arod, but he's going to be reasonable in what he offers to Arod. If Arod doesn't accept the contract extension and goes on the open market, the Yankees will give one final offer. If Arod doesn't accept it, it puts Cashman in a position of strength and it essentially says that Arod didn't want to be here in the first place and now Boras and Arod are the bad guys and Cashman is the good guy.

This will be a very interesting development.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 am

cmaff051 wrote:Above all, I think Cashman being willing to discuss a contract extension with Arod during the season sets this up as a PR situation. Cashman is trying to extend Arod, but he's going to be reasonable in what he offers to Arod. If Arod doesn't accept the contract extension and goes on the open market, the Yankees will give one final offer. If Arod doesn't accept it, it puts Cashman in a position of strength and it essentially says that Arod didn't want to be here in the first place and now Boras and Arod are the bad guys and Cashman is the good guy.

This will be a very interesting development.

I agree. It's a win win situation for the organization. Either we keep ARod (well to me its a win, to you it may be a loss :lol: ) or he passes up $25-30 mil a year and goes elsewhere and looks like the bad guy.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#38 » by DakkaFromNyc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 am

AROD just dont ask for 2 MUCH.

If A Rod does not go for da money = A Rod wants a championship
LamboNYK
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by LamboNYK » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 am

What if it isnt about the money though? What if ARod looks at this season, and our dinosaur staff, and doesnt think this is his best chance at a title?? He could walk from a 30m offer from the yanks and conceivably take something lower from the Angels or [Gasp] Boston because they have young arms and more solid teams.

I think this is a big factor people aren't talking about and the second half will be huge as far as this goes.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by PR07 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:24 am

The Yanks will give AROD the best opportunity to compete for a championship year after year. We may not always win it, but we're generally in the running to the very end at least. We also are going to surround AROD with some really talented hitters. I doubt he wants to back to a situation like he was in while in Texas where all he had was Michael Young and no protection...and scarce hopes for a WS Trophy.

AROD is the best hitter in baseball right now. Give him what he wants. Money hasn't been a problem for the Yankees in a long time. If we can pay Roger Clemens 26 million or whatever it is for one season, we can sure as heck give AROD that type of money each season. Yes, AROD has struggled some for us in the past, but even during his "off-years", he was still a hell of a hitter and one of the best in the bigs. Who are we going to get to replace him at 3B? Who are we going to get for that type of power?

Return to New York Yankees