ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Ideas Thread

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#341 » by cmaff051 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:16 pm

gooGD wrote:You know, with all the farnsgarbage/proctor trade talk ill throw something "out" there. I know i will catch a ton of flack for this...

As a mets fan, I would entertain the idea of parting with one of our great prospects for someone like proctor, but I would be weary of parting with our OF prospects- pitching wise, I might listen

for the right price, I *might even take in farnsworth, but it would have to be for a low/aged prospect.

Omar, is that you? Where do we sign up? :D
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#342 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 pm

And we don't have to pay Farnsworth's contract?! That's money that can go towards ARod's new deal, cmaff. :lol:
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#343 » by PR07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Rumors:
Ken Rosenthal has the latest on Mark Teixeira, who is now 50/50 to be dealt according to one source of his.

Rosenthal describes the scene as the Braves and Angels at the forefront, with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants lingering. Evan Grant adds the Dodgers to the mix. He also suggests the Rangers package Joaquin Benoit with Teixeira to get the best possible player. Interestingly, the Yanks might be after Adam Dunn as another first base option. They may have to focus on Dunn, because Jon Daniels is demanding Joba Chamberlain for Teixeira.

I wouldn't trade the untouchables (Hughes, Joba, Tabata), but I'd consider anyone else in a trade if we could land Teixeira and Joaquin Benoit (although this is probably wishful thinking). This would fill two needs, another big bat for the offense and a longterm answer at 1B....as well as another setup guy to bridge the gap to Mo as Benoit has an impressive 2.92 ERA in a hitter's park.

Yankees Interested In Garland, Thornton
According to George King of the New York Post, the White Sox have scouts watching the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Outfielders Austin Jackson and Jose Tabata are the big names from that team, far as I can tell.

Which White Sox players interest the Yankees? They've already had a go with Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, which leaves Jon Garland. It seems the Yanks might want lefty reliever Matt Thornton as well, according to King. Thornton had a breakout last year by developing decent control, but he's regressed this season. His strikeout rate is down as well. Rather than go year-to-year with Thornton the Sox decided to lock him in cheaply for 2007-09.

Despite some early indications to the contrary, it's really starting to look like Garland is in play. The Yankees won't give up Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for Garland. Given Chicago's desire for MLB-ready players, I wonder if the Yankees would surrender Robinson Cano. Going after A ball players, no matter how promising, doesn't seem like Kenny Williams' style.
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#344 » by Jitpal » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:20 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:Rumors:
Ken Rosenthal has the latest on Mark Teixeira, who is now 50/50 to be dealt according to one source of his.

Rosenthal describes the scene as the Braves and Angels at the forefront, with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants lingering. Evan Grant adds the Dodgers to the mix. He also suggests the Rangers package Joaquin Benoit with Teixeira to get the best possible player. Interestingly, the Yanks might be after Adam Dunn as another first base option. They may have to focus on Dunn, because Jon Daniels is demanding Joba Chamberlain for Teixeira.

Yankees Interested In Garland, Thornton
According to George King of the New York Post, the White Sox have scouts watching the Single-A Tampa Yankees. Outfielders Austin Jackson and Jose Tabata are the big names from that team, far as I can tell.

Which White Sox players interest the Yankees? They've already had a go with Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, which leaves Jon Garland. It seems the Yanks might want lefty reliever Matt Thornton as well, according to King. Thornton had a breakout last year by developing decent control, but he's regressed this season. His strikeout rate is down as well. Rather than go year-to-year with Thornton the Sox decided to lock him in cheaply for 2007-09.

Despite some early indications to the contrary, it's really starting to look like Garland is in play. The Yankees won't give up Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes for Garland. Given Chicago's desire for MLB-ready players, I wonder if the Yankees would surrender Robinson Cano. Going after A ball players, no matter how promising, doesn't seem like Kenny Williams' style.

Well Peter Abraham doesn't seem to think Joba and Kennedy getting promoted so quickly means anything in regards to them being shopped. More likely checking on how good they could be for next season or maybe a late season call-up. I doubt we get Teixiera unless Texas lowers their demands considerably and we end up parting with either Sanchez or Ohlendorf in a package for him.

Garland is interesting, he has been getting rocked lately. He isn't an upgrade over Hughes, he might be one over Moose but then what do you do with Moose? Moose out of the bullpen wouldn't happen and if it did I would expect it to be a disaster. I wouldn't go anywhere near dealing Cano(who plays 2nd? Basaak? Cairo?), Jackson or Tabata for that package. I might have been interested in dealing Cano or Jackson if we were getting Beurhle. I was thinking about this last night and I just keep going back to it. I think the Yankees are going to trade Moose. My guess would be Atlanta or one of the NL Central teams. That is why they might be interested in Garland and/or seeing if Joba or Kennedy can handle the majors right now. Moose has been less than stellar his last few outings and it has been pretty obvious he doesn't have much left in the tank if anything at all. Plus, his past playoff performances have not been anything beyond average. Perhaps they can deal Moose to get back a good 1B, maybe as part of a package for Dunn? Then you bring up either Joba or Kennedy to take over the 5th spot because Igawa can't be trusted. Stick Hughes in Moose's spot. I don't see a better rotation in the AL if one of those guys works out. -Jitpal
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#345 » by cmaff051 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Jon Daniels can go to hell.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#346 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Our pitching looks good enough for the stretch run and even next year that Garland shouldn't be considered, at least not for somebody like Cano, Tabata, or Jackson. You don't trade that type of talent for a #3 starter (who may be our #5 in two years if our prospects work out).

The only trade I'd consider at this point is one that dumps Moose or lands a reliever. Leave the farm system alone, we don't need Tex right now.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#347 » by cmaff051 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:29 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Our pitching looks good enough for the stretch run and even next year that Garland shouldn't be considered, at least not for somebody like Cano, Tabata, or Jackson. You don't trade that type of talent for a #3 starter (who may be our #5 in two years if our prospects work out).

The only trade I'd consider at this point is one that dumps Moose or lands a reliever. Leave the farm system alone, we don't need Tex right now.

Agreed. If we are going to trade Tabata, Cano or Jackson, it has to be for an impact player. If Buerhle was still available, I would have put Tabata and Jackson on the market. But he isn't.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by PR07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:07 pm

I doubt we'll get much of anything of value for Mussina if we trade him. He has more value to us than other teams because there still is a chance that he can turn things around a bit. I would trade him though if we somehow traded for Garland or whoever just to avoid a clubhouse problem and a jam of starters.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of trading for Garland either. He's a solid starter, but I don't see him as more than a solid #3 starter, and we have enough of those as is. There is no chance I trade Cano either, we need to start finding longterm answers at our positions, and he's one already. Ditto for Tabata and not Jackson either...at least not for Garland anyways.

I really think Teixeira would be a great fit here. This team needs another power bat and has been looking for a longterm answer at 1B for many years. He's a Top 5 1B in the MLB offensively, and he's one of the best fielders as well with a couple of Gold Glove awards to his name. I think there is a possible trade with Teixeira and Benoit that would probably kill two birds with one stone. I wouldn't trade Joba though, I'd try to talk them down to Kennedy and maybe two of our better but not elite prospects. Texas is at a disadvantage because they aren't going to get equal value for Teixeira at this point. His contract expires soon and will bolt, and it's obvious that they've lost a lot of leverage because of it.
Still, there is no guarantee that Texiera will ever be a Yankee without a trade, so I would offer an attractive but not full value package for him right now. We talked Philly down last year in the Abreu deal, and I'm confident we'll be able to talk Texas down too if we want Tex bad enough.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#349 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:49 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:I doubt we'll get much of anything of value for Mussina if we trade him. He has more value to us than other teams because there still is a chance that he can turn things around a bit. I would trade him though if we somehow traded for Garland or whoever just to avoid a clubhouse problem and a jam of starters.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of trading for Garland either. He's a solid starter, but I don't see him as more than a solid #3 starter, and we have enough of those as is. There is no chance I trade Cano either, we need to start finding longterm answers at our positions, and he's one already. Ditto for Tabata and not Jackson either...at least not for Garland anyways.

I really think Teixeira would be a great fit here. This team needs another power bat and has been looking for a longterm answer at 1B for many years. He's a Top 5 1B in the MLB offensively, and he's one of the best fielders as well with a couple of Gold Glove awards to his name. I think there is a possible trade with Teixeira and Benoit that would probably kill two birds with one stone. I wouldn't trade Joba though, I'd try to talk them down to Kennedy and maybe two of our better but not elite prospects. Texas is at a disadvantage because they aren't going to get equal value for Teixeira at this point. His contract expires soon and will bolt, and it's obvious that they've lost a lot of leverage because of it.
Still, there is no guarantee that Texiera will ever be a Yankee without a trade, so I would offer an attractive but not full value package for him right now. We talked Philly down last year in the Abreu deal, and I'm confident we'll be able to talk Texas down too if we want Tex bad enough.

I agree that Hughes and Joba cannot be available for Teixeira, but somebody like Kennedy or Horne has to be. And lets not forget that Teixeira isn't a free agent until after the 2008 season, so Texas is in no rush to deal him although they can probably get more now than later. Let him go to Atlanta if that's what it takes to keep Hughes and Joba.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#350 » by cmaff051 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Mussina is not going anywhere. This organization has too much respect for him and they are not going to trade him after the first half of his 2 year contract.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#351 » by PR07 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:19 pm

What I would try to do for Teixeira is to avoid trading our highest ceiling guys (Chamberlain, Tabata), but offer a package of players that comes to the same value as one of the above. I'd also try to get Joaquin Benoit in the trade if possible.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#352 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:18 am

and the rangers would be stupid to do it much like the phillies were stupid to do that abreu trade. they were suckered into take quantity over quality. we've already been **** over by the arod trade with you guys (one of the 5 worst trades of the past 5 years) if we deal with you guys i leave with nothing less than chamberlain or hughes.

you dont like it dont trade with us. at least thats the stance id take on trading with you, its almost like the yanks pressure teams into taking less than a players value.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#353 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:24 am

cmaff051 wrote:Jon Daniels can go to hell.

why b/c he wont succumb to the yankees needs? get over yourself your team and fans are like a spoiled brat, what the baby wants the baby gets
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#354 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:29 am

studcrackers wrote:and the rangers would be stupid to do it much like the phillies were stupid to do that abreu trade. they were suckered into take quantity over quality. we've already been **** over by the arod trade with you guys (one of the 5 worst trades of the past 5 years) if we deal with you guys i leave with nothing less than chamberlain or hughes.

you dont like it dont trade with us.
at least thats the stance id take on trading with you, its almost like the yanks pressure teams into taking less than a players value.

Which is why there will be no trade
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#355 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:33 am

well then thats fine by me, ive been under the impression for about a week and a half now that the rangers wont trade him now.

whats pissing me off though is we have tons of trade targets and we havent made a deal yet when we can turn our farm system into the top 15. we have great talent in A ball and some are starting to get promoted but we're very weak in the upper levels.

anyone willing to do a sosa for joba? he's great against lefties. :lol:
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#356 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:37 am

studcrackers wrote:well then thats fine by me, ive been under the impression for about a week and a half now that the rangers wont trade him now.

whats pissing me off though is we have tons of trade targets and we havent made a deal yet when we can turn our farm system into the top 15. we have great talent in A ball and some are starting to get promoted but we're very weak in the upper levels.

anyone willing to do a sosa for joba? he's great against lefties. :lol:

Sounds like the Yankees of 1-2 years ago when Hughes was in high A, Joba and Kennedy were just drafted, Jackson was in low A, Tabata was in rookie ball, etc. I wouldn't worry, sometimes guys fly through the system. Joba and Kennedy are already in AAA and Hughes is already a major leaguer.

But I agree with you, I'm not sure what the Rangers brass is waiting for. They can get some decent prospects for guys like Sosa or Lofton, and certainly some top prospects for Tex. A deal with Atlanta for Salty seems tailor made for both teams, have you heard much about the chances of that down there?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#357 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:42 am

yea thats been rumored alot them offering salty and i guess a pitcher or a couple of players for tex.

its been rumored the braves are gonna make a run for it and they also tried to get jon garland.

im kinda skeptical trading with atlanta but thats probably been the most rumored trade.

i wish we couldve dealt with the dodgers but there management finally got smart enough to give loney and billingsley a shot. so maybe a loney/kershaw for tex could happen but i seriously doubt it.

as for our trade targets here's who i think could or should be dealt:
eric gagne
mark teixeira
joaquin benoit
ron mahay
kenny lofton
sammy sosa (i want him gone, jason botts needs to be playing so we can see if he's worth a damn but ranger brass seems intent on doing everything possible to avoid him)
brad wilkerson
akinori otsuka

so theres alot of possibilities
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#358 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 am

Yeah I forgot about both Gagne and Otsuka, those are two damn good closers for any contending team. It may not be a bad idea to hold onto one of them, though.

Texas has got to be active during the deadline, it could be a great opportunity to set the franchise in the right direction if they play their cards right.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#359 » by studcrackers » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:53 am

yea, the talk is gagne might want to re-up in texas and i think he's only dealt to a place he can be a closer b/c he has a finished games incentive that can net him more money.

otsuka's hurt right now but he still has arbitration years til either 2008 or 2009

people think jon daniels might be gunshy b/c of questionable trades in the past. everyone kills him for the chris young/adrian gonzalez for adam eaton and aki otsuka trade. i personally dont think he'd have much success had he stayed in the AL in OUR ballpark no less.

plus people think he lost on the carlos lee trade last year. sure coco cordero is doing great but when he pitched in texas he blew 2 saves. what people dont know is it netted us 2 draft picks which will help us.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#360 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:30 am

studcrackers wrote:yea, the talk is gagne might want to re-up in texas and i think he's only dealt to a place he can be a closer b/c he has a finished games incentive that can net him more money.

otsuka's hurt right now but he still has arbitration years til either 2008 or 2009

people think jon daniels might be gunshy b/c of questionable trades in the past. everyone kills him for the chris young/adrian gonzalez for adam eaton and aki otsuka trade. i personally dont think he'd have much success had he stayed in the AL in OUR ballpark no less.

plus people think he lost on the carlos lee trade last year. sure coco cordero is doing great but when he pitched in texas he blew 2 saves. what people dont know is it netted us 2 draft picks which will help us.

I'd look to deal Gagne, with Otsuka's injury you can certainly land more for Gagne. If I were Texas, I'd get Salty and a pitching prospect from Atlanta, then try to move Gagne for a good pitching prospect, and look to move guys like Sosa and Lofton for a handful of mid-level prospects and hope that one of them pans out.

Return to New York Yankees