ImageImageImageImageImage

SF Giants interested in Melky ?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#61 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 2:36 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 5240.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 6210.shtml

You are arguing these two games? I'm just saying Noah Lowry is not gonna put us over the top this year. He won't be in our rotation. That's all. Theres no sense in trading a guy who hit .300 15 HR 100 RBI 30 SB last year and is a professional hitter. His 162 Gm AVG for his career are .301 22 HR 96 RBI 29 SB. And I'm not going to even start on how he works pitchers.

Abreu is 33 years old and showing signs of regression, you make the move because 1 he ain't a number 3 batter especially batting .258 ! his OBP is going down year after year .427, .419 now .333 , you sell while he's high otherwise expiring contract next year equals no prospect or legit SP next year. I still don't see the problem
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#62 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 2:43 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Abreu is 33 years old and showing signs of regression, you make the move because 1 he ain't a number 3 batter especially batting .258 ! his OBP is going down year after year .427, .419 now .333 , you sell while he's high otherwise expiring contract next year equals no prospect or legit SP next year. I still don't see the problem

See the Giants fan doesn't like it either.

The thing is we traded our RF in the offseason for young pitching. We're not going to do it again. Cashman put this team together to win the World Series this year. Abreu will come around. You don't lose it just like that.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#63 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 2:44 pm

That is a good point but I still don't see what Lowry will do for us. We have enough depth in our farm system not to mention guys like Rasner or Desalvo who look like they can step into a 4/5 role at anytime and be effective. Plus, who is going to spell Damon and Matsui...not Melky if he's starting. That means we have a crapload of games where awful OF's like Thompson and Reese have to start.
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#64 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 2:45 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:

That is a good point but I still don't see what Lowry will do for us. We have enough depth in our farm system not to mention guys like Rasner or Desalvo who look like they can step into a 4/5 role at anytime and be effective. Plus, who is going to spell Damon and Matsui...not Melky if he's starting. That means we have a crapload of games where awful OF's like Thompson and Reese have to start.

Thank you, this is the point that I'm trying to make. We make this trade if we are 10 games out at the deadline. Not 6 games out in May
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#65 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 2:50 pm

Thank you, this is the point that I'm trying to make. We make this trade if we are 10 games out at the deadline. Not 6 games out in May

This sort of trade does reek a bit of desperation. We have Clemens now. Our rotation has been stellar the past few weeks sans Igawa. Lowry just doesn't make any sense at this point. Hopefully during the offseason the Giants are still in need and then I'd say trade Melky for Lowry and pick up Kotsay.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#66 » by Jitpal » Thu May 10, 2007 3:00 pm

The thing is we traded our RF in the offseason for young pitching. We're not going to do it again. Cashman put this team together to win the World Series this year. Abreu will come around. You don't lose it just like that.

This team isn't winning a world series this year. We don't have the arms in the bullpen and our outfield is so-so at best with the defense. I don't know how many times I have to mention this but pitching and defense wins with every team that has won in the past, including us, we won because we had gamer pitchers, good arms all around and excellent defense. Right now we are close. We have the gamer pitcher in Mo, Pettitte, Roger and Hughes. We have a few good arms in Wang, Hughes, Bruney, Procter(when rested), and with this deal Lowry. I would expect at least another month and a half for Hughes and even if Hughes is 3 1/2 weeks away, I would almost bet they will have him on the strictest pitch count when he returns. Lowry is very valuable. You said he won't have anything to do this year beyond making 2-3 starts in May, he can work out of the bullpen. Instead of Procter going 4 out of 5 nights, Vizcaino 4 out of 5, you can have Lowry taking some of that role as well as being a spot starter for some of our fragile guys. He will not be Jeff Weaver because if you read about Lowry, a lot of people commend him on his mental makeup and how he is tough. Sanchez with his nasty stuff, needs a little work with command and that isn't a problem. As soon as he gets here, send him over to Nardi. Nardi will have him fixed by next year and possibly even sooner to have him up here in the pen in late August to early September for the push. Linden has stellar defense and can be subbed in for Matsui or Damon(switch with Melky) at any time late in games to keep a 2-3 run lead. Better defense, better pitching and similar offensive production so I don't see the problem. I say similar because I don't think we will make up his stolen bases from within but Abreu's OBP has dropped considerably this year so he isn't even getting the chances he once was.

Damon
Jeter
Cano
AROD
Giambi
Posada
Matsui
Dougie
Melky

That is just as good as:
Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Arod
Giambi
Posada
Matsui
Cano
Dougie
-Jitpal
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#67 » by Jitpal » Thu May 10, 2007 3:03 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:

The best and most advanced lefties in the farm are Igawa and Wright. Please tell me you don't plan to trot out righties everyday. Rasner and DeSalvo are not solutions. Rasner is a spot starter at best. DeSalvo is a 5th starter at best. -Jitpal
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#68 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 pm

Jitpal wrote:

This team isn't winning a world series this year. We don't have the arms in the bullpen and our outfield is so-so at best with the defense. I don't know how many times I have to mention this but pitching and defense wins with every team that has won in the past, including us, we won because we had gamer pitchers, good arms all around and excellent defense. Right now we are close. We have the gamer pitcher in Mo, Pettitte, Roger and Hughes. We have a few good arms in Wang, Hughes, Bruney, Procter(when rested), and with this deal Lowry. I would expect at least another month and a half for Hughes and even if Hughes is 3 1/2 weeks away, I would almost bet they will have him on the strictest pitch count when he returns. Lowry is very valuable. You said he won't have anything to do this year beyond making 2-3 starts in May, he can work out of the bullpen. Instead of Procter going 4 out of 5 nights, Vizcaino 4 out of 5, you can have Lowry taking some of that role as well as being a spot starter for some of our fragile guys. He will not be Jeff Weaver because if you read about Lowry, a lot of people commend him on his mental makeup and how he is tough. Sanchez with his nasty stuff, needs a little work with command and that isn't a problem. As soon as he gets here, send him over to Nardi. Nardi will have him fixed by next year and possibly even sooner to have him up here in the pen in late August to early September for the push. Linden has stellar defense and can be subbed in for Matsui or Damon(switch with Melky) at any time late in games to keep a 2-3 run lead. Better defense, better pitching and similar offensive production so I don't see the problem. I say similar because I don't think we will make up his stolen bases from within but Abreu's OBP has dropped considerably this year so he isn't even getting the chances he once was.

Damon
Jeter
Cano
AROD
Giambi
Posada
Matsui
Dougie
Melky

That is just as good as:
Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Arod
Giambi
Posada
Matsui
Cano
Dougie
-Jitpal

THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANNNNNNNNK YOU , THANK YOU !!!!!

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I CAN SAY THIS PITCHING PITCHING, PITCHING , PITCHING AND DEFENSE WINS YOU THE RING. IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL IT IS RARE FOR A TEAM TO SLUG THEIR WAY TO THE WS, IT ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS.

SAY IT WITH ME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PITCHING AND DEFENSE !!!!!
:nod:

:clap:

:bowdown:

Now I will be watching closely to see how Lowry does vs Colorado he never pitches good there, but hopefully this game starts the wheels in motion.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#69 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 3:28 pm

The best and most advanced lefties in the farm are Igawa and Wright. Please tell me you don't plan to trot out righties everyday. Rasner and DeSalvo are not solutions. Rasner is a spot starter at best. DeSalvo is a 5th starter at best. -Jitpal

Alright let's look at it this way. Say we trade Abreu for Lowry and Linden. Can Linden be good enough to be a 4th OF? I don't know. So far he hasn't shown anything at this level. Who's spot is Lowry taking by the way? Rocket, Clemens, Wang, Moose, and when he returns Hughes aren't going anywhere regardless if any of us think Lowry is a better choice than one of those guys. We have Henn, Myers, and hopefully Igawa to be our lefties in the bullpen. I'm not trading someone with the potential of Abreu(based on last year so far) for someone who will be a long reliever on this team.

Offseason? Yea. I'll trade for the dude. But Melky will turn it around and be that formidable 4th OF. Write it down.

34Celtic
Analyst

Post#70 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Rasner has been effective in the major leagues. How many times have you seen Lowry or the other guy pitch in the majors?
Jitpal wrote:There is a part of me just wishing that this season was ending tomorrow. Just so that next seen we could see Phil Hughes and others in the majors helping us get number 28 afterall we would win 27 this year. -Jitpal

Jitpal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That is excellent. Our future rotation is shaping up nicely. -Jitpal

Jitpal wrote:Interesting stat on Peter Abraham's blog.

The pitching is a disaster in the big leagues but they have it figured out in Class AA Trenton.

The Thunder have gone an amazing 46 consecutive innings without allowing a run. They swept a doubleheader from Connecticut today, winning the first game 1-0 and the second game 2-0 in 15 innings.
-Jitpal

The above quotes taken from none other than the minor league thread. Oh how some Yankee fans change their minds so quickly
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#71 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 3:29 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:Offseason? Yea. I'll trade for the dude. But Melky will turn it around and be that formidable 4th OF. Write it down.
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#72 » by throwbackewing33 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:31 pm

How can you give up on this season in May? Over the winter Cash replace sheff with Abreu. We got a few young arms for sheff in a retooling type trade. I like the trade Jitpal, but not in the middle of the season. We need a lefty starter for NEXT season, not now. While ABreu in right field throwing guys out at second from the corner and working pitchers is far more important THIS year. You also have to factor in Damon's balky back, Giambi's heel, and any other unforeseen injuries. If any of these guys go down long term, Abreu's value to the team skyrockets! Trading Abreu is NOT going to happen mid season. I do that trade a hundred times over in the offseason. Pitching will always be what wins world series, but right now that would only hurt us.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#73 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 3:32 pm

THANK YOU , THANK YOU , THANNNNNNNNK YOU , THANK YOU !!!!!

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I CAN SAY THIS PITCHING PITCHING, PITCHING , PITCHING AND DEFENSE WINS YOU THE RING. IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL IT IS RARE FOR A TEAM TO SLUG THEIR WAY TO THE WS, IT ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS.

SAY IT WITH ME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PITCHING AND DEFENSE !!!!!

What defense are we losing/gaining by doing or not doing this trade? THE PITCHING WILL REMAIN THE SAME LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. WANG MOOSE CLEMENS PETTITE HUGHES!!!! THEY AREN'T GOING TO LOSE THEIR SPOTS IF THIS LOWRY GOES TO TOWN. TRADING FOR HIM IS A WASTE RIGHT NOW.

throwbackewing33
Starter

Post#74 » by throwbackewing33 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:33 pm

Right now I dont even trade melky unless we recieve a solid OFer. These injuries are scaring me.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#75 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 3:36 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:

Alright let's look at it this way. Say we trade Abreu for Lowry and Linden. Can Linden be good enough to be a 4th OF? I don't know. So far he hasn't shown anything at this level. Who's spot is Lowry taking by the way? Rocket, Clemens, Wang, Moose, and when he returns Hughes aren't going anywhere regardless if any of us think Lowry is a better choice than one of those guys. We have Henn, Myers, and hopefully Igawa to be our lefties in the bullpen. I'm not trading someone with the potential of Abreu(based on last year so far) for someone who will be a long reliever on this team.

Offseason? Yea. I'll trade for the dude. But Melky will turn it around and be that formidable 4th OF. Write it down.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#76 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 3:39 pm

I understand that pitching and defense wins world series. I get it. We all get it. We're Yankees fans and we've watched baseball for the past 7 years. We see why we haven't won. This trade does nothing to further our chances, it only hurts us. Abreu is valuable. Melky is almost more valuable because these guys are old and becoming injury prone and someone with some talent and skill needs to step in to SPELL our OF. NOT START. SPELL. Melky is NOT a starter and he never will be unless he picks up some of what Bonds is taking.

Even if Lowry is, in your opinions, better than for instance, Wang, Joseph Torre is never going to give his spot up. So we end up trading for a terrible Linden and a guy who basically turns into a long reliever for the year after coming from a weak offensive NL West. Offseason is a different story. We'll probably have a spot for the dude. We don;t have one right now so get it out of your heads.

throwbackewing33
Starter

Post#77 » by throwbackewing33 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I dont like how some yankee fans think all is lost in May. We will make those 6 games up. You really think the red sox wont go through a losing streak the entire season? Im not making a trade that hurts us now just to help us next year. This isnt the Knicks where we have no chance of winning a championship. We retool the rotation in the offseason. Stop giving up so quickly, we still have 4 1/2 months of regular season baseball!
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#78 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 3:41 pm

Can Linden be good enough to be a 4th OF?

I meant to say that he hasn't shown anything with the bat. I understand he is good defensively but he won't be starting and Melky isn't god awful in the field so it's only a slight upgrade in one category.

34Celtic
Analyst

Post#79 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 pm

1st-Nice Catch
2nd-He broke back on the ball at first, then had to recover to make a diving catch
3rd-Big deal, he threw out Giles trying to turn a blooper in the gap into a double
4th-This one is my favorite, it really is. You can hear the announcer say, "He misjudged the ball, I thought it was going to sail over his head."

Baseball IQ fellas, diving catches are one thing if they are made by getting great jumps and great reads. It's another if you get bad jumps and bad reads and need the dive to recover.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#80 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 3:43 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

LOL WHERE DID THE LINKS GO?!?!?!?!??!?!

Return to New York Yankees