ImageImageImageImageImage

Montero Traded for Pineda

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Christophersp10
Banned User
And1: 6

Re: Montero Traded for Pineda 

Post#61 » by Christophersp10 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:39 pm

GnarlesOakley wrote:I like Montero but he is what he is. Not that good hitters grow on trees but unfortunately we are stuck with A-Rod who is going to have to be made a DH in a few years. As a catcher he would have struggled to be as good as even Posada defensively, and catching destroys ones shelf life.

Pineda isn't the finished product, but all signs are looking good. A potential ace is worth far more than a potential power hitter, the Yankees pitching pool is now so deep they can focus all their money on finding hitters. Does anyone not remember how much we struggled to bring in great pitchers in the past few years?

Good hitters do grow on trees. Look at all of the star hitters the Yankees signed or traded for the past 10 years. Sheffied finished 2nd in MVP voting his first year. Tex was a top candidate. Giambi hit 40 HR's with 100 RBI's numerous times. Berkman is still a star. Abreu, Damon, Matsui were all All Stars here. Same thing goes for David Justice.

Yankees passed on Beltran, Vlad, Pujols, Manny, Ortiz and Prince Fielder the last 10 years. If the Yankees are that desperate to get 30 HR's , 100 RBI's from the DH, they can easily go get one.

Hell, the Yankees can just get Carlos Pena to be the DH with Andruw Jones with stop gaps of Arod, Jeter and Tex in 2012 and be able to get 30 HR's, 100 RBI's from the DH.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,282

Post#62 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 pm

My only hope here is that Yankee management (and I mean I hope all of it, with thorough input from all levels, scouts, GM, talent evaluators, catching coach etc) saw that Montero will never master catching enough and dealt him as high as they could.

I know he has an awesome bat, but that bat looks a lot less awesome if he winds up a DH, IB or even a RF.

A friend of mine said his "prospect status" would switch from top 5 to 15 - 20 just based on Catcher vs power position alone.

Maybe that is the case. Will be interesting to see.
Woolyy
Senior
And1: 114

Post#63 » by Woolyy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I was so mad when I read they traded Montero, but Cashman knows best I guess.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#64 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:53 pm

sea must really like montero

people are saying he wasnt made available to them when they called Sea this winter

it brings up a interesting scenario: had their gm put him on the market publicly, would that have driven the price even more and force yanks to give up more?
Woolyy
Senior

Post#65 » by Woolyy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

On another note, I really wished they signed CJ Wilson :(
Christophersp10
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#66 » by Christophersp10 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Woolyy wrote:On another note, I really wished they signed CJ Wilson :(

CJ is going to be 31 next year and you dont pay him 31 million. PLus his post season era is almost 5. BJ Burnout is a better post season pitcher.
Woolyy
Senior

Post#67 » by Woolyy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Christophersp10 wrote:

CJ is going to be 31 next year and you dont pay him 31 million. PLus his post season era is almost 5. BJ Burnout is a better post season pitcher.

He's my second favorite player (Tex first) so I was just hoping both of them could possibly be on the same team lol
nyc1695
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#68 » by nyc1695 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:13 am

Woolyy wrote:
Christophersp10 wrote:

He's my second favorite player (Tex first) so I was just hoping both of them could possibly be on the same team lol

That's a classic Yankees move I'm glad they're not making. Signing an aging player in his prime to high money, long term deals.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#69 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 am

Exactly. If you are going to over bet the pot, go for the guy who is peaking at the right time. Take a look at Hamels, Lincecum....the asking price gets more and more absurd for a guy who marches out once every 5 days to go 6-7 innings or more if you're lucky.

Return to New York Yankees