ImageImageImageImageImage

30 at age 30: Cash sign B. Ryan & maybe S.Drew at SS

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

30 at age 30: Cash sign B. Ryan & maybe S.Drew at SS 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Even the most devout Derek Jeter fan will admit, he's got one maybe two decent seasons left provided that ankle is all the way back. The best way to ensure that, will be to definitely switch Jeter out of SS to DH on certain days and to even give the Captain occasional days off.

I felt comfortable having Eduardo Nunez (age 26) as an infielder you can move around and cover positions despite his tendency to lose focus and make some poor decisions. Still at $550K how can you argue with what he's done so far.

So now, Yanks GM "Cash money" signed to an offer, 31-year old Brendan Ryan, a career .237 hitter after re-working Jeter's contract from $9M to $12M. So confident the Yanks are in this move that they're also pursuing Stephen Drew who was paid $9.5M last season with the Boston Red Sawx, hit .253...

Let's go back to Nunez and $553K. Even if you gave that guy a couple $M that's STILL better move than pursuing players Boston has NO INTEREST in re-signing after a World Series as they are shedding payroll to get younger.

Reminds me so much of the Dany Tartabull years where the Yanks would sign all these thirty year olds, wasting Mattingly's years...mired in just missing the playoffs or just not contending because these guys would break down and take a pay cheque.

I dunno Yankee fans...I just dunno.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Re: 30 at age 30: Cash sign B. Ryan & maybe S.Drew at SS 

Post#2 » by Vides990 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I think they're just looking at some of these guys as back up plans if they lose Cano or need extra insurance for Jeter, who lets be real, probably isn't a capable infielder anymore.

These following links give me hope, and prove the Yanks have the leverage, to get their contract negotiations with players back under control. If I was them, they should take the 7 yr 160 deal off the table, 5 years, 120 million is plenty for a 2nd baseman.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... _at_$300m/
"The New York Yankees want to re-sign Robinson Cano, but they aren't willing to give the second baseman a $300 million contract.

"We want Robbie back; we think Robbie is terrific," Randy Levine told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday. "But we have no interest in doing any 10-year deals and no interest in paying $300 million to any player. Until he gets a little more realistic, we have nothing to talk about."

Levine's response echoed the words of Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, who said in October that the team was "not prepared'' to sign Cano to a 10-year deal."

The New York Yankees and Robinson Cano have made no progress in contract talks for weeks.

Cano is still hoping for $310 million, while the Yankees are holding steady at a little more than half of that.

Several weeks ago the Yankees made an offer that was believed to be about $160 million over seven years. Cano is looking for a ten-year deal.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Here's my angle, WHY are you worried about SS when you have a starter AND a back up (see initial post) yet you have a GAPING HOLE at 3B...and potentially at 2B. Please don't say you can get these thirty year old players to learn a new position. Doesn't work that way.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#4 » by Vides990 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:31 am

Oh I agree with you, though Cash-man may not.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,735

Post#5 » by sully00 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 am

I think Jeter can go to 3rd and arguably should.

Much like singing McCann, which is a questionable move in itself, what it does is strengthen Cashman's hand in trade takes. If you take the best available catcher off the market your catching prospects have more value. By singing FA shortstops or driving the price up for a guy like Drew makes Nunez value go up as well.

Really wish Nunez could be the guys at short long term but I don't know if that is meant to be.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Really? Ask Youkilis who is four years younger than Jeter how many old men can last manning the hot corner? That's a horrible idea. Pretty much up there with putting Mantle at 1B, Yogi in RF.

Derek Jeter is the captain. You treat him like the BoSawx treated Varitek without humiliating him at a new position.

As for adding $85-100M at a position that must be given a rest every 5 days, it's true that makes Cashman's catching prospects more expendable. Unfortunately the Yanks do NOT seem to trade prospects for an even better prospect. No, they trade prospects for big salaries, something BOTH Hal and Brian have said repeatedly they are against due to new CBA luxury tax.

Right now, I don't have a lot of faith in Cashman to make any trades especially after Michael Pineda is looking to be Carl Pavano Jr.

Return to New York Yankees