Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,489

Yankees sign Brian McCann 

Post#1 » by Fury » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

Ken Rosenthal
Source: McCann deal with #Yankees is 5/85 with sixth-year vesting option that could bring it to 6/100.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Yankees sign Brian McCann 

Post#2 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 pm

Like McCann but the numbers rub me the wrong way.

Yes, he's got pop but he' also starting to show wear/tear at age 29 that has me a little concern over the amount of money spent. It would be a different story if A-Rod was off the books but what if next season A-Rod is suspended and McCann gets hurt? Will the new lux tax/spending sink the ship (again)?

This is why I can't understand why the Yanks didn't stockpile talent back in 2010. They KNEW the new CBA rules were coming. cost of signing FAs and bids only go UP never down.

And if that doesn't convince you of over spending, consider Russell Brand would have taken a couple million. Sure his numbers weren't as good as McCann but again, it's about competing while A-Rod, CC, Tex's ridiculous contracts come off the books.
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,498

Post#3 » by damedash09 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 pm

we upgraded our weakest position with one of the best catchers in the game.
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#4 » by rappa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of McCann but I also don't see this deal as being that bad. In a market where Carlos Ruiz got 3 yr at 8.5per, this deal doesn't look that crazy.

The positives:

-McCann is only 29 & fills a hole in which we were dead last in practically every statistical category
-By the time he needs to be moved off catcher, Teixera will be expiring and won't get in the way ('16 season)
-Dead pull hitter, will easily hit 20+hr with out short right porch
-Great leadership qualities at a premium position
-Keeps him out of Boston/Tex, who both have significant holes at C now and will have to overpay for Saltalamacchia
-Provides additional leverage in negotiations with Cano
-Makes one of our top prospects expendable to fill other holes (Gary Sanchez & JR Murphy) or allows them to develop on a slower pace and not rushed to fill a hole

The negatives
-Lose our first round pick, however, this can be recouped if granderson and/or cano leave since they denied their QO
-Full No-Trade Clause. He's a Yankee for the length of this deal
-Had shoulder injury in the past, hopefully can stay healthy for 3 more years behind the plate
-Not great @ throwing but this is offset by his above average pitch framing ability

Overall, I think this is a good deal for the Yanks. Keeps him away from our rivals, upgrades our worst position for a few more years & now allows us to pursue other FA who are tied to draft picks. Since we have already given up our first, we won't lose any first rounders if we sign Beltran or Ubaldo.

BTW, Detfink is clueless so please just ignore his posts.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:57 pm

rappa wrote:BTW, Detfink is clueless so please just ignore his posts.

That's not leverage, son. That's pitifully instigating with a weak sauce insult. :lol:

# of At Bats for McCann has declined steadily over the last 5 seasons. He's going to be THIRTY this Feb and the Yanks have a deal that could cost them $100M over six seasons.

VERY Risky for a Catcher who battled injuries over the last THREE years.

Again, just not a fan of the # of years. Ask the Twins how that's working out with Joe Mauer?

Fiscal responsibility in an effort to get younger and cheaper right Brian and Hal?
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#6 » by rappa » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:
rappa wrote:BTW, Detfink is clueless so please just ignore his posts.

That's not leverage, son. That's pitifully instigating with a weak sauce insult. :lol:

# of At Bats for McCann has declined steadily over the last 5 seasons. He's going to be THIRTY this Feb and the Yanks have a deal that could cost them $100M over six seasons.

VERY Risky for a Catcher who battled injuries over the last THREE years.

Again, just not a fan of the # of years. Ask the Twins how that's working out with Joe Mauer?

Fiscal responsibility in an effort to get younger and cheaper right Brian and Hal?

I honestly don't even know why I'm wasting my time with responding to you because all of this stuff you bring up has very little basis and the stats you use are arbitrary at best.

So # of ABs declined over the past 3 years, let's just see how easy this myth is to debunk. Well, the first year of his so called decline, which was 2011, he missed a handful of games due to an infection he got from Lasik surgery. He was out a little over 2 weeks. Definitely not an injury concern going forward.

In 2012, he played the majority of the season until September even though he had a shoulder injury the majority of the year. In September, he opted for surgery in hope of trying to be ready by beginning of 2012 season. Unfortunately, he was not physically ready on time as hoped and ended up missing the first few months of the season. After a few weeks of adjustments and getting his timing back, he was one of the top 5 catchers in all of baseball.

So in all of his time catching at the MLB level, he's only had one real injury. This lone injury had an effect across multiple seasons and ultimately shouldn't define him as a player with a significant injury history. He can play the position at a premium for 3 seasons, while ALSO being able to DH on days, a luxury he never had when he was catching 130+ a season. After those 3 seasons, he will move to 1b and fill the hole for the departed Mark Teixeira.

I also don't know what type of comparison you're making to Joe Mauer. There has been zero issues with his knees and back, which were chronic problems with Mauer. Just because they are both big catchers, does not mean they have to endure the same type of injuries. As you see now, Minnesota is moving him to 1B, which will ultimately occur with McCann in a few years, which is perfectly fine by me.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#7 » by Vides990 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Have to agree with Detfink here. As someone who doesnt want to see the Yanks overspend to sign Cano, I can't say signing a catcher to a 5/85 or 6/100 contract is good when his career averages are .275, 20 hrs, and 50-60 rbis. That really isn't very much production and our catchers showed last yr that as long as they play elite defense it really doesnt matter that much what they do offensively; the defense saving runs is just as valuable as generating them, and costs pennies in comparision.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Talk to your friends in Atlanta who are huge Braves fans, they'll tell you McCann was playing injured ALL the time. That's why they believed he NEEDED to go to the AL. He's STILL a great hitter but he's a DH not a catcher. The Yankees paid $85M for a DH-C not a C-DH.

Once again $85M to a player that MUST be sat every 5 games. Really? 4-Years $65M would have been better. Not stuck on the books for too long, that was high enough to keep him away from competitors.

Now, with A-Rod gone...Teixiera's uncertainty coming off an injury...and Cano's unknown status...it IS a significant piece but the Yanks have sooooooooo much further to go that I would prefer this team get their house in order before flopping down mad money.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,292

Post#9 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Great planning by the Yanks. They could have retained Martin for 1/2 the price and years, but let him go, only to realize they have no catching prospect that is close, so they overpay for the only "better than average" catcher on the market. Way to to go Cashman.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 am

Half the price? Martin would have taken $3M per from the Yanks and Yanks don't lose their first rounder right?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,292

Post#11 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Half the price? Martin would have taken $3M per from the Yanks and Yanks don't lose their first rounder right?

I was trying to be kind on Cashman. Now watch him sign Beltran, whose wheels will fall off 30 games into the season, but Yanks will have signed him for 5 guaranteed years.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't even understand why Beltran is a higher priority than the GAPING hole at 3B..nevermind the Yanks have Ichiro, Gardner, Wells, and Soriano under contract. Um, WHY?! This guy has LOST his mind.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#13 » by Vides990 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Half the price? Martin would have taken $3M per from the Yanks and Yanks don't lose their first rounder right?

He got 8.5 from Pittsburg, and you think he's taking 3 from NY? Still cheaper then Mcaan but not even close to realistic.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Yea but it's the Pirates.., ;)
LBnySuaveJav23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,217

Post#15 » by LBnySuaveJav23 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 6:08 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Yea but Pirates.., ;)

:P ahem, what?
"Yeah, you are. You right, bro" - Joe Dumars telling every PG on the roster they are starting.

Return to New York Yankees