Yanks sign Ellsbury to 7 yr, 153 million deal

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,503

Yanks sign Ellsbury to 7 yr, 153 million deal 

Post#1 » by damedash09 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 1:54 am

FeinsandNYDN 12m
Yankees deal with Ellsbury is seven years and $153 million. That's $12 million more than Crawford's contract.

HATE HATE HATE THIS MOVE, THIS DUDE IS SO INJURY PRONE AND NOT WORTH THAT TYPE OF MONEY AND YEARS! WHEN WILL THIS TEAM LEARN!! :nonono:

Cano should def get over 200 million and 8 years now
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Re: Yanks sign Ellsbury to 7 yr, 153 million deal 

Post#2 » by Pharmcat » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:03 am

horrible signing

fire cashman
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#3 » by rappa » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:18 am

I'll take Ellsbury at 7/153 over Cano at 9/250 all day everyday.

This deal also gives the Yanks leverage in talks with Cano.

I can see them trading a non-prospect for Brandon Phillips now too.

Phillips + Ellsbury >>>> Cano
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,795

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:20 am

rappa wrote:I'll take Ellsbury at 7/153 over Cano at 9/250 all day everyday.

Yanks better at least offer Cano a $200 million deal though.
damedash09
Analyst

Post#5 » by damedash09 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:25 am

4 yrs is where they should of stopped
rappa
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by rappa » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:56 am

Rich Rane wrote:

I'm completely against anything over 7 / 160 for Cano. His value is identical to Ellsbury and he isn't your hustle player. Remember, Yanks are signing McCann/Ellsbury to be the face of the franchise for after next season when Jeter retires/leaves.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:58 am

rappa wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I'm completely against anything over 7 / 160 for Cano. His value is identical to Ellsbury and he isn't your hustle player. Remember, Yanks are signing McCann/Ellsbury to be the face of the franchise for after next season when Jeter retires/leaves.

The guy is a future hall of famer though. I honestly don't think this offense does much noise without him.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:00 am

I thought Hal Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman were preaching "fiscal responsibility" after the A-Rod contract. SEVEN years with an EIGHTH option? WTF?

Ellsbury age 30 is most likely going to be the Yanks lead off hitter. 2011 was his best season so far. Had some injury plagued years. Bring steals.

They have under contract: Ichiro $6.5M, Alfonso Soriano $5M (after Cubs cover the rest), Vernon Wells $2M (after Angels cover the rest) and Bret Gardner up for arbitration. Don't understand why the Yankees needed to sign Ellsbury to big dollars BEFORE filling a gaping hole at 3B AND now, 2B...and we haven't even looked at the rotation and closer role.

Meanwhile the Rangers pulled off the SMARTER and CHEAPER move getting Michael Choice.

All I gotta say is, "Uh-huh...a business lawyer who never scouted in his life GM-ing the most powerful franchise in MLB?" Yea...
damedash09
Analyst

Post#9 » by damedash09 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:05 am

Cano is hella underrated by some Yankee fans. 2nd base is such a weak position and Cano is a stud and best player at his position. I agree he needs to lower his asking price though. People can hype up Ellsbury who spends time after time on the DL!
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#10 » by Vides990 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:09 am

Honestly, I just don't understand. I guess for the cost of Cano you get 2 FAs? Maybe they keep Cano and blow out the 189 plan, but cant imagine them wanting to pay that kind of lux tax bill.......Cash needs to go, Levine needs to go, Stein needs to sell b/c we arent winning with them leading.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:18 am

I'm losing my mind right now. All Cashman had to do was SIT and WAIT. NO ONE is going to give Cano $300M. Therefore it was just a matter of breaking down Jay-Z/Cano's patience because they NEED to get paid. Of all the players Cashman overpaid, it was a SCOTT BORAS client. Boras is a RODENT.
rappa
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by rappa » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:25 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I'm losing my mind right now. All Cashman had to do was SIT and WAIT. NO ONE is going to give Cano $300M. Therefore it was just a matter of breaking down Jay-Z/Cano's patience because they NEED to get paid. Of all the players Cashman overpaid, it was a SCOTT BORAS client. Boras is a RODENT.

Who the hell cares who his agent is?

Let's just sit back and wait and let all the dominoes sign elsewhere and hope that Cano comes down in asking price is such a terrible strategy and will only leave you sitting at the kitchen table without any dinner. This strategy only works if you can show that he's a luxury and isn't a necessity, which he was until the McCann/Ellsbury signings.

I think this signals to us that the NYY know Arod is going to be suspended for a significant amount of time and are allocating his salary to other places.

The offseason is just getting started people, let the dust settle before coming to conclusions.

Btw, you honestly want Michael Choice? You're talking about a guy who is guaranteed to strike out 130+ times a season. No thanks.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,738

Post#13 » by sully00 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:06 am

As a Yankee fan living in the Boston area I can offer no hope on this one. I knew it was coming and still hate it. The kid is soft injury wise which has plagued this team for years. I can only hope that they believe this guy is going to be a Yankee Stadium homer wonder but damn this is just feels like a big mistake in so many ways. He also probably has a worse arm than Damon.

Maybe he can pitch.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#14 » by Rich Rane » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:11 am

sully00 wrote:As a Yankee fan living in the Boston area I can offer no hope on this one. I knew it was coming and still hate it. The kid is soft injury wise which has plagued this team for years. I can only hope that they believe this guy is going to be a Yankee Stadium homer wonder but damn this is just feels like a big mistake in so many ways. He also probably has a worse arm than Damon.

Maybe he can pitch.

I think one of the small things Yankee fans can take solace in is I don't believe any of the injuries he missed time for were chronic unlike Tex, Pineda, and Youkilis's injuries. His major injuries were colliding with Beltre and bruising his ribs, colliding with Brignac and dislocating his shoulder, and a foot fracture after fouling a ball off it. For the most part, he's come back from them strong each time. Still though, it's his style of play to go all out and I don't think he cares if he gets injured doing so.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,738

Post#15 » by sully00 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:23 am

Rich Rane wrote:
sully00 wrote:As a Yankee fan living in the Boston area I can offer no hope on this one. I knew it was coming and still hate it. The kid is soft injury wise which has plagued this team for years. I can only hope that they believe this guy is going to be a Yankee Stadium homer wonder but damn this is just feels like a big mistake in so many ways. He also probably has a worse arm than Damon.

Maybe he can pitch.

I think one of the small things Yankee fans can take solace in is I don't believe any of the injuries he missed time for were chronic unlike Tex, Pineda, and Youkilis's injuries. Still though, it's his style of play to go all out and I don't think he cares if he gets injured doing so.

The big issue is that he takes forever to come back from injuries. Boras played a role in this and now he has his contract and there have been lots of questions about the Sox in-house medical staff. But I don't know if the whole Fred Lynn thing just goes away. Some guys play through anything and some guys can't play unless they are 100% and you don't want to give those guys a $150 mil of anyone's money especially in what seems to a pretty strict steroid testing era.

If he is just the over the top add on to re-signing Cano okay but damn I don't want to hear how Cash didn't want to do it but the Stien's said we need to give away a hundred mil before the end of Cyber week.
GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 212

Post#16 » by GetItDone » Wed Dec 4, 2013 5:21 am

So Yankees brass refuses to pay an AS 2B who rarely misses games more than 175, but will pay a 30 yr old injury prone OF 155?
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
damedash09
Analyst

Post#17 » by damedash09 » Wed Dec 4, 2013 5:57 am

JonHeymanCBS 14m
ellsbury is to receive a no-trade clause in the $153M deal. #yankees
Dru
Lead Assistant
And1: 128

Post#18 » by Dru » Wed Dec 4, 2013 6:18 am

damedash09 wrote:
JonHeymanCBS 14m
ellsbury is to receive a no-trade clause in the $153M deal. #yankees

Oh nicee.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#19 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 4, 2013 6:32 am

Rich Rane wrote:Pineda

Just that name makes me cry myself to sleep. :(
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,402

Post#20 » by Moose » Wed Dec 4, 2013 7:30 am

Obviously it is a bad contract, but some are saying this:

@RobertMurrayMLB 3h

Source: Many within the #Yankees organization unhappy about the Jacoby Ellsbury deal.

Which makes you believe this was not a Cashman signing. If the Yanks ignore 189, and go nuts with trades/signings, it won't matter. The deal is bad either way, but if they don't do much now, it will be really bad. At this point, you have to hope they go nuts...they will pay for it on the backend, but also would build a WS contender/winner.

Return to New York Yankees