ImageImageImageImageImage

Beltran vs Choo (Update:Beltran to Yanks for 3yrs)

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,498

Beltran vs Choo (Update:Beltran to Yanks for 3yrs) 

Post#1 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:51 pm

We need another bat with some power, I think the Yankees will end up with most likely Beltran. Who would you guys prefer?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,219

Re: Beltran vs Choo 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:06 pm

damedash09 wrote:We need another bat with some power, I think the Yankees will end up with most likely Beltran. Who would you guys prefer?

Depends probably on how much for each. Both guys have some power. Choo is only 30 so I'd expect that he'd want a 3-4 year deal. Beltran is 36 so he might be willing to settle for a 1 year deal which might make sense for the Yanks. But then again Beltran is 36. Choo is (much) better on the bases (at this point in Beltran's career) but Choo also strikes out a ton. Their range in the field is about the same but Beltran has a much stronger/accurate arm. Yanks haven't exactly done real well with older guys that isn't off the scrap heap (and Beltran definitely isn't a scrap heap guy). Not sure. Tough question.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,096

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:12 pm

Either way, we've got quite a few outfielders with Soriano, Ellsbury, Ichiro, Gardner, and Wells (why is this guy still here? I don't care if the Angel's pay most of his salary). Johnson could play some left field as well.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:18 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Either way, we've got quite a few outfielders with Soriano, Ellsbury, Ichiro, Gardner, and Wells (why is this guy still here? I don't care if the Angel's pay most of his salary). Johnson could play some left field as well.

If the Yankees trade Wells would the Angels still pay for most of his salary?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:21 pm

Is there a power hitting 3B on the market? ARod as a Yankee basically is over right?
damedash09
Analyst

Post#6 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:26 pm

Padres are open to moving Chase Headley, I know the Yankee have liked him a lot in the past. I wonder if they revisit this and try to chase him.

Or they could resign Mark Reynolds. He has power but a terrible batting avg.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:30 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Either way, we've got quite a few outfielders with Soriano, Ellsbury, Ichiro, Gardner, and Wells (why is this guy still here? I don't care if the Angel's pay most of his salary). Johnson could play some left field as well.

If the Yankees trade Wells would the Angels still pay for most of his salary?

No idea. Let's hope that's the case.

moocow007 wrote:Is there a power hitting 3B on the market? ARod as a Yankee basically is over right?

Also no idea. We could see him in a year and a half or on opening night.

damedash09 wrote:Padres are open to moving Chase Headley, I know the Yankee have liked him a lot in the past. I wonder if they revisit this and try to chase him.

Or they could resign Mark Reynolds. He has power but a terrible batting avg.

Platoon him at 3B with Kelly Johnson and start against whatever hand the pitcher throws with.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:35 pm

Yanks NEED SP more than another bat. Keep in mind you have $20+M annual bat in Teixiera coming off the DL that sits on the books.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#9 » by Rich Rane » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:50 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Yanks NEED SP more than another bat. Keep in mind you have $20+M annual bat in Teixiera coming off the DL that sits on the books.

Agreed. They need 2 more arms to relegate Phelps to the bullpen for long relief and spot starts. Maybe throw Pineda in there for the same thing as well if he could ever get healthy. Probably should bring back Boone Logan along with César Cabral. Depending on if Robertson closes, they need a new setup as well.

So maybe CC, Tanaka, Kuroda, maybe Garza, and then Nova as the rotation. Phelps, Pineda for spot starts, Logan, Cabral, a setup man, and Robertson. That's 11 pitchers. Gonna make a lot of room for the outfielders they want to bring in.

McCann, Teixiera, Infante (I hope), Reynolds (Yanks should re-sign), Jeter, Soriano, Ellsbury, and Ichiro on the field. Gardner, Johnson, Wells, Cervelli, Ryan make 13 hitters. Then you add in whom the Yankees are targeting, Choo and Beltran. Altogether, that's 25. I even forgot about them wanting Stephen Drew so that basically screws this whole roster layout up.

Yeah, at this point as well, I'm like... :censored: A-Rod.
damedash09
Analyst

Post#10 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:53 pm

Pineda needs to play this year, enough is enough with this guy. He is a big time sleeper in this rotation. He could be just as big as adding a big time FA pitcher.

CC
Kuroda
A healthy Pineda
Nova

Go get Tanaka and Garza
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#11 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:54 pm

When the Yanks signed Ellsbury I think it became clear they are not going to be signing Choo or Beltran. Where would this idea even come from, our OF is crowded already.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
damedash09
Analyst

Post#12 » by damedash09 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:57 pm

Vides990 wrote:When the Yanks signed Ellsbury I think it became clear they are not going to be signing Choo or Beltran. Where would this idea even come from, our OF is crowded already.

JonHeymanCBS
#yankees back looking at beltran, as well as choo, after seeing they trail by $50M plus in cano derby.
Vides990
Starter

Post#13 » by Vides990 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:01 pm

damedash09 wrote:
Vides990 wrote:When the Yanks signed Ellsbury I think it became clear they are not going to be signing Choo or Beltran. Where would this idea even come from, our OF is crowded already.

JonHeymanCBS
#yankees back looking at beltran, as well as choo, after seeing they trail by $50M plus in cano derby.

I'll bet they're just trying to raise Boston's asking price because one of them will end up there.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah I think pitching is more important. A SP and a couple RP's would be ideal. With Tanaka potentially not being posted that could present a problem for the Yanks as the market for starters is a bit thin. The FA list is "headlined" right now by Matt Garza, Ervin Santana, Bronson Arroyo and Ubaldo Jiminez. Garza probably will be the most expensive of the group to sign and he may get a premium contract. I don't trust Santana or Jiminez in NY. Arroyo may be the best option from a money, toughness, reliability standpoint but he's obviously no headliner. A bit more relievers available on the FA market and maybe that's where they can go if they go with "just" a guy like Arroyo. FRod was a flub in NY with the Mets but he had a real nice year in Baltimore so maybe? Probably not. Grant Balfour is probably the top reliever on the market, and you have Joaquin Benoit and Jesse Crain, both fireballers that can possibly slot in as the setup guy(s) for Robertson...and I believe the Red Sox none tendered Andrew Bailey so he may be an option (injured on and off last season but looked like he was about to turn into a real top notch reliever in 2012).
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,896

Post#15 » by Butch718 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 11:15 pm

With CC, Kuroda, Nova and Tanaka(assuming he gets posted) as your top 4 pitchers, you don't need headliners to fill the back of the rotation. You just need reliable arms that will keep you in ball games. He's not a sexy pickup, but Arroyo would be the cheapest option. The guy is a workhorse, averaging over 200 plus innings since 05. His ERA will probably go up playing in the AL East again, but at least you know that he's going to stay relatively healthy and be an innings eater. Something that you want out of your 4th or 5th slot.

If the Yanks miss out on Tanaka I'd be perfectly fine with signing Garza and adding someone like Arroyo to fill out the rest of the rotation.
damedash09
Analyst

Re: Beltran vs Choo (Update:Beltran to Yanks for 3yrs) 

Post#16 » by damedash09 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:00 am

As i predicted, Beltran to Yanks 3 yrs/ 45 million....

Ken_Rosenthal
Beltran $45 million for three years with #Yankees, per @TBrownYahoo.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,896

Post#17 » by Butch718 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:05 am

Ungh...
damedash09
Analyst

Post#18 » by damedash09 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Choo asking for 8 years, damn
Vides990
Starter

Post#19 » by Vides990 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:17 pm

damedash09 wrote:As i predicted, Beltran to Yanks 3 yrs/ 45 million....

Ken_Rosenthal
Beltran $45 million for three years with #Yankees, per @TBrownYahoo.

you shouldnt have predicted, this is a terrible deal!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Butch718 wrote:With CC, Kuroda, Nova and Tanaka(assuming he gets posted) as your top 4 pitchers, you don't need headliners to fill the back of the rotation. You just need reliable arms that will keep you in ball games. He's not a sexy pickup, but Arroyo would be the cheapest option. The guy is a workhorse, averaging over 200 plus innings since 05. His ERA will probably go up playing in the AL East again, but at least you know that he's going to stay relatively healthy and be an innings eater. Something that you want out of your 4th or 5th slot.

If the Yanks miss out on Tanaka I'd be perfectly fine with signing Garza and adding someone like Arroyo to fill out the rest of the rotation.

Is there a deadline for when Tanaka's team can decide to post him or not? The last thing we need is for this to drag out and for the Yanks to let guys like Arroyo sign elsewhere or lose out on trade possibilities because of the waiting.

On a related note, would you guys trade Gary Sanchez in a package for Cole Hamels?

Return to New York Yankees