"bol"- Hedo Turkoglu
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 14,809

Re: Yankees Sign Carlos Beltran 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:13 am

Yeesh, that's a huge contract.

Way to address the pitching with this signing. I can actually picture what will happen:
Me thinking: Yanks need some pitching.
Headline: Yankees sign Shin-Soo Choo
Me thinking: Yanks need some pitching.
Headline: Yanks sign Stephen Drew
Me thinking: Yanks need pitching.
Headline: Yanks sign Omar Infante
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,503

Post#3 » by damedash09 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:27 am

Work on the in field now and pitching now, forget about Choo.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#4 » by GnarlesOakley » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:49 am

Like the player, hate the contract. A common theme really. Amazing how this team gets older and older.

Considering how awful the infield and pitching situation is right now, Gardner might have to be traded at this point.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#5 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 7, 2013 7:16 am

This front office gets stupider every single day. I thought the Yankees who gave a hard time to all their vets, was this "fiscal responsibility" in an effort to get younger, more under the luxury tax to create what Cashman said, "A more moderate competitive payroll."

No. Once Hal "Bean Counter" Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman saw the Yes ratings plummet and decline in ticket sales, suddenly they realized Yankee fans aren't that stupid to over pay to see Lyle Overbay.

Right now, overpaying for three guys that have a lot of DL time makes the front office look petty in light of Cano who is a future Hall of Famer. Again, I don't mind the Yankees standing up to Cano but to turn around and over pay for these guys with LONG Term deals....stupid.

Wainwright called Beltran. He owns your frozen butt when the Cards took out Minaya's Los Mets and went on to win the World Series.
rappa
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#6 » by rappa » Sat Dec 7, 2013 4:25 pm

I don't see the issue with this contract, he will replace Cano's production and actually can hit in the postseason, which Cano has proven time and time again that he can't.

It's 3 years @ 15mil per, definitely not a long term deal AT ALL.

We just signed McCann/ Ellsbury / Beltran / Johnson / Kuroda for 299mil.

We lost Cano / Granderson for 300 mil.

I'm pretty sure I'm fine with what our front office is doing.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#7 » by Pharmcat » Sat Dec 7, 2013 4:43 pm

another terrible signing

team needs to be focusing on SP RP and IF

need need FO and owner
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 7, 2013 6:50 pm

Wait, no problem giving 45M for an oft injured guy who will start the season at age 37? :lol:
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#9 » by Rich Rane » Sat Dec 7, 2013 8:42 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Wait, no problem giving 45M for an oft injured guy who will start the season at age 37? :lol:

To Beltran's credit, he's remained relatively healthy the last three seasons and has shown up in the playoffs, especially in clutch situations, unlike the last time the Yankees hitters outside of Ibanez made the playoffs.

Still, I would've liked this deal much better if it was 2 years and had addressed other areas of need first.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 7, 2013 8:49 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
To Beltran's credit, he's remained relatively healthy the last three seasons and has shown up in the playoffs, especially in clutch situations, unlike the last time the Yankees hitters outside of Ibanez made the playoffs.

Still, I would've liked this deal much better if it was 2 years and had addressed other areas of need first.

This is true but Beltran's BEST seasons have always been in less intense cities like KC or ATL. I just don't know...saw too much of him as a Met that I didn't like.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#11 » by Rich Rane » Sat Dec 7, 2013 8:58 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

This is true but Beltran's BEST seasons have always been in less intense cities like KC or ATL. I just don't know...saw too much of him as a Met that I didn't like.

Well, you could see a lot that you don't like watching the Mets. No, I understand. Let's just hope his play can continue in pinstripes.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Dec 7, 2013 9:09 pm

Yea, I'm just blown away by all the horrible contracts Cashman has been shelling out after he was so adamant about the A-Rod contract.

Two years, absolutely (despite it not being a need) but THREE? Ridiculous.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#13 » by Vides990 » Sun Dec 8, 2013 5:20 pm

I had talked myself into the Ellsbury and Mccann deals, and it was great that Cash didn't sign Cano to that deal, the Kuroda deal made sense and just when I think Cash might be on to something, he goes and does this. And now Gardner is a trade piece? They overreacted on Cano and the Beltran contract was a panic move.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#14 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Dec 8, 2013 9:16 pm

Cano's knees....I just don't know at that age.
Slamm Goodbody
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#15 » by Slamm Goodbody » Sun Dec 8, 2013 10:06 pm

I loved the McCann signing, not so much the Ellsbury signing because of the money and years, but I think the Beltran signing is a really good one. Girardi does so much matching up and what the team was really lacking last year was switch hitters and versatility in matchups.

Beltran, one huge strike caught looking aside, has been great in the post season and consistently puts up solid numbers. Age and injury concerns, no doubt, but the salary they're paying him is market rate and a year less than Granderson's across town for a more complete player. I'm happy with the move and excited the team is being shaken up so much. We've paid bigger hunks of crap more money at age 39 than Carlos Beltran. The guy wanted to be here for years.

Next step is to trade Gardner (breaking my heart but has to happen) for a 2B or pitching...
Mardy Collins Superfan
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,738

Post#16 » by sully00 » Mon Dec 9, 2013 7:49 pm

Yeah this frees up Cashman to trade Gardner or Suziki (though I would hope he might help land the Tanaka). In that sense giving a Beltran 15 a year for 3 years makes more sense than giving it to some garbage starting pitcher. You have to wonder if Beltran would have taken this deal last week when he was holding out for 4 years if the Yanks would have even signed Elsbury. I think they Yanks would have still spent the cash but it probably would have gone to Choo.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,553

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:33 pm

The one common trait that all these big dollar players that they are signing share is that they are intense competitors, professionals and strong character guys. Those are the type of guys that helped the Yanks win championships. Injury and age are definitely concerns with some but none of these guys (so far) are slackers and prima donnas...so there are some silver linings here.

Return to New York Yankees