ImageImageImageImageImage

If Gardner stays, Yanks have 6 OFs...

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

If Gardner stays, Yanks have 6 OFs... 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:08 pm

So let's place all the cards on the table....

Before Yanks GM Brian Cashman went shopping for groceries, the Yanks had arguably one of the most cost effective outfields in the league:

CF: Vernon Wells ($2M left after Angels pay rest)

RF: Ichiro Suzuki ($6M)

LF: Alfonso Soriano ($4M left after Cubs pay rest)

Then the big signings...

CF: Jacob Ellsbury (7yrs $153M)

CF Carlos Beltran (3yrs $40M)

Yanks front office has claimed that Brett Gardner who is up for arbitration will not be traded.

That's a crowded outfield and I am not sure if the Yanks want to give up Soriano, the most tradable asset.

Thoughts? Can the Yanks add a significant piece to a leaky rotation?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,236

Re: If Gardner stays, Yanks have 6 OFs... 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Gardner by himself probably isn't enough to land a 1-3 rotation guy unless that guy is either in the midst of a large contract or is heading on the downward side of his career. Such is the value of pitching nowadays. But maybe packaging him along with a prospect or two would be enough. If the Yanks are still trying to win it all (and it sure looks that way) then they need another front line starter...and however you do it you look into doing it.
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#3 » by Vides990 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:13 pm

It's really not that crowded of an outfield either, theres just a lot of former big names. Wells and Suzuki are NOT full time players anymore and are clearly going to be the guys off the bench. Gardner, Beltran and Ellsbury will give us a good starting rotation and Soriano is going to be the full time DH.

Also with the age of some of these guys injuries are likely so I think Cashman holds them all. I would rather he tied up money somewhere other then Beltran with all these other guys for sure though.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,328

Post#4 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Vides990 wrote:It's really not that crowded of an outfield either, theres just a lot of former big names. Wells and Suzuki are NOT full time players anymore and are clearly going to be the guys off the bench. Gardner, Beltran and Ellsbury will give us a good starting rotation and Soriano is going to be the full time DH.

Also with the age of some of these guys injuries are likely so I think Cashman holds them all. I would rather he tied up money somewhere other then Beltran with all these other guys for sure though.

I'd agree with this. Soriana will mostly DH, but then spell an OF spot, or take a day off, while others who need to DH (Beltran? Jeter? McCann? A-Rod? Tex?) will get time there.

Return to New York Yankees