ImageImageImageImageImage

Greg Bird: One of the future core?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Greg Bird: One of the future core? 

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Let's roll the clocks back to the series in Toronto, the Blue Jays put a shift on the right side of the infield. Bird adjusts his swing and lances a inside pitch opposite field for his first MLB hit. Today, the 22-year old man hit TWO homers against Ervin Santana.

Since 1998 when Brian Cashman succeeded Bob Watson who co-architect of the 90s Dynasty, players like Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Ivan Nova, Nick Johnson, Manny Banuelos, Eric Duncan, David Parrish, Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, and other disappointing top prospects have forced the Yankees to utilize free agency more than expected rather than rebuilding through the draft.

The expansion draft HAS paid off for the Yankees. Alfonso Soriano and Robinson Cano were two kids picked/signed by the Yankees that DID pay dividends but curiously both did not remain Yankees. We know Cashman hates signing Cubans and Japanese after being burned by Contrearas and Igawa. Cashman needed a gun to his head to sign Tanaka.

While Cashman stood pat, the Red Sox RAIDED/Signed some big time Cuban prospects.

So after a decade and a half of "Meh" picks...the Yankee scouts might have hit pay dirct....and notice I said, Yankee scouts because Cashman is NOT a scout. He even admits that he signs the cheques and doesn't know how to do it.

Keep in mind, prospects called up at the tail end of the season but if all continues to progress....

A solid #3 starter in SP Luis Serevino (21)

A future multi-tool hitting 1B Greg Bird (22)

The closer of the future Betances (27)

We'll see if RF Aaron Judge is the real deal....

With good role players like Murphy catching and 2B Rob Refsnyder...The Yanks will be poised to make a major splash in 2017-8 when a lot of their big contracts come off the books.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Re: Greg Bird: One of the future core? 

Post#2 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:47 am

Yup Bird has a sweet swing, dude looks like he's going to be. Very good.Cashman didn't let the media force him into trading his top prsopects
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:49 am

Mateo is the other core 4 player cashman labeled ..he looks like he could be another Jose Reyes without the injurys
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Liking the look of Bird. He's doing well although it makes me wonder what happens with a healthy Tex. We only have one first base (obviously) and Tex has also hit well thus far. I'm also liking the other young guys you mentioned. Having the Yanks back in playoff contention and some good young prospects coming up at the same time puts a smile on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to New York Yankees