Aroldis Chapman Traded to Yankees

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Aroldis Chapman Traded to Yankees 

Post#1 » by moocow007 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:03 am

Yankees have acquired Chapman from the Reds for 4 prospects in a trade that Cashman indicated was just too good to turn down. The 4 prospects dealt to Cincinnati are Eric Jagielo, Rookie Davis, Caleb Cotham and Tony Renda.

Rookie Davis was ranked as the Yankees 6th best prospect by Baseball America in their latest rankings. None of the other prospects were ranked in the top 10.

Chapman is under investigation for domestic violence and could be suspended for some portion of the season and is a free agent at seasons end. The belief is that the Yankees traded for Chapman with the intention of resigning him and keeping him long term. If Chapmans suspension is longer than 60 days (not confirmed exactly how long) the Yankees may actually get an extra year before he becomes a free agent (Dodgers and Cubs mentioned as teams with the high end prospects that could eventually be in on Miller).

Indications for now at least is that the Yankees will go into the season with all 3 guys (Chapman, Miller and Betances) on the roster forming arguably the most dominant bullpen in at least 30 years. Belief is that this gives the Yankees the upper hand come the trade deadline (when teams are willing to give more) to potentially get that top line starting pitching prospect they have been desperately hunting for.

Of the prospects, the only guy that was hard to lose was Davis, the Yankees 3rd best pitching prospect after Kaprielian and Acevedo. Jagielo is believed to have to move to the OF or 1b on account of his defensive issues. Renda and Cotham are not considered great prospects.

I like that s deal a lot.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,747

Re: Aroldis Chapman Traded to Yankees 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:24 am

Three relievers had over 100 Ks last season. They're all with the Yankees this season.

Low risk (Didn't really give much up in terms of value, but he could be suspended for quite some time), high reward. Chapman added to Miller and Betances...I mean it's one way to make up for a starter not going more than 5 innings. :rofl: I wonder what side people are on here looking at the Wilson trade ("It certainly makes up for losing Wilson" or "Imagine if the Yanks still had Wilson").

That said, it might be a bit hard for me to root for the guy after reading what he allegedly did.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:47 am

It's a strange trade...and if he's guilty, it's a horrible message.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4 » by bishnykfan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 am

Hard not to like the trade on the field. Hard to like the trade off the field (if what allegedly happened, happened).
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,334

Post#5 » by Phish Tank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 pm

mentioned it in the offseason thread, but will paraphrase here:

So the yanks acquired aroldis chapman for four minor leaguers including Rookie Davis (potential mid-to-end of rotation starter), tony renda (second baseman irrelevant due to the Castro trade), Caleb Cotham (fringe reliever with low upside at best), and Eric Jagielo (can hit a bit at third, but can't field the position).

While Chapman might start off the year suspended, we really didn't give up much of value. The guy with the highest upside is Davis, but we have starters throughout AAA. Jagielo may end up at first and we have Bird there already.

If Chapman is suspended more than 50 days, we will have his arbitration year pushed back one year, if that helps. I'd say this is a low risk high upside move. Chapman moves to the Wilson role and we will have a potent 7th-9th inning pitchers.

Sent from the phish tank
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#6 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jan 2, 2016 2:42 pm

I don't see Chapman in the Wilson role. He is more established then either Betences or Miller. At worst, I see the three of them working together in a three headed monster where they share 8th/9th inning duties. I'm just not sure that Chapman will accept a 7th inning role at this point a year away from free agency.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 1:53 pm

Chapman is the closer. I think that's already pretty much agreed upon. Miller has already given his thumbs up to handing off the closer role and the Yanks have already indicated that Bentances will continue to be a setup man.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Mar 1, 2016 9:31 pm

Chapman is suspended for 30 games. Miller won't have to give up the job quite yet.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#9 » by Papi_swav » Tue Mar 1, 2016 10:28 pm

MLB screwed us... If he was suspended for 45 games, we would of been able to have him on contract for next year as well. But 30 games is enough to hurt us a little and enough for him to be able to opt out after this year
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Tue Mar 8, 2016 9:00 pm

Papi_swav wrote:MLB screwed us... If he was suspended for 45 games, we would of been able to have him on contract for next year as well. But 30 games is enough to hurt us a little and enough for him to be able to opt out after this year

yeah...thanks Manfred! :nonono:
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#11 » by Cuban Pete » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I think it turned out pretty well...

...and the Yankees can bring him back as a FA next season without losing a draft pick.

Bravo! BRAVO I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to New York Yankees