ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#121 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 10, 2007 5:28 am

Chach, I checked it out. Kennedy did in fact pitch in 2005. He pitched 117 innings in 2005 at USC with a 2.54 ERa and 158 Ks.

Get him up in Trenton already. Stop wasting his time, let him finish the season in AA and start next year in AAA so he will be ready to join the rotation in 2009 (by then Clemens will be gone, and maybe Pettitte and Moose as well). I know we have pitching depth, but this guy can be a big part of our rotation for a very long time so he takes precedence over other guys that are mainly stop gaps. Lets start moving him along, he is more than capable for dealing with AA.

I'm looking forward to Hughes / Betances / Wang / Chamberlain / Kennedy. Chamberlain as a #4, :rofl:
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,153

Post#122 » by moocow007 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:39 am

Here's a blurb about Dellin Betances:

Height: 6'7"-6'9" (Depending on who you ask)
Weight: 185-215 (Again, depending on who you ask)
Drafted: 8th Round in 2006 out of High School
Position: Starting Pitcher
Throws: Right

Fastball: Betances is 18 years old. He is a big guy. He has yet to put a lot of muscle on his frame. He throws a 93-97 mph fastball, hitting 98, with nasty movement on it. He throws it with command and consistent mechanics. His fastball can do nothing but improve. Betances entered camp a raw talent, throwing 3-4 mph slower and with a mechanical delivery all over the place. The Yankees took him in and almost immediately corrected his flaws, resulting in a beautiful product.

Curveball: Betances throws a knuckle curve. He entered camp with a slight feel for it, but it was not much of a weapon. As would be a theme for Betances, this would change almost immediately. In less than two months, Betances transformed a pitch which he had little feel for in to a true plus pitch. His curveball is a strikeout weapon that sits in the low 80s.

Changeup: Yet again, Betances entered camp without much of a changeup. In fact, he entered camp barely knowing how to throw one. At least he had some experience with a curveball. With a little instruction, Betances was almost instantly able to throw a plus changeup, which compliments his fastball perfectly. He does not yet use it as a strikeout pitch, but that could change in the future.

Command: Betances entered camp with the typical "tall man syndrom", meaning that he had difficult repeating his delivery. That lasted about a week. To compare, it took Randy Johnson the better part of a half decade to do the same. That said, Betances is not 6'10". People tend to overestimate height, and I would say that Betances is more likely closer to 6'7" than 6'9". After that week of adjustment, Betances never let up. He was dominant.

Performance: Betances has a short pedigree in professional baseball. After signing, he tossed 23.1 innings (the Yankees limited his workload, as they do with a lot of 18 year olds), striking out 27, walking 7, and allowing just 3 earned runs (1.16 ERA). Betances did this following a 40+ inning high school performance where he struck out over 100. Why did he fall to us in the 8th round? Well, there are a few reasons. First off, no one thought that he would sign. Second, he pretty much said "If I am going to sign, it is only going to be with the Yankees". Third, he was not a three pitch pitcher prior to attending the Yankee camp. He tossed a live fastball and had little in terms of secondary pitches. This is a steal.

Ceiling: Betances has no ceiling. He is that good. If he can continue to stay mechanically clean and throw three plus pitches, he will be a success in this league. He is so young that he should be considered years ahead of schedule. He knows how to adjust. He quickly learned pitches, he quickly learned how to fix his mechanics, and he quickly learned how to attack hitters in professional baseball. Who does this remind me of? Phil Hughes.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#123 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 am

moocow007 wrote:Here's a blurb about Dellin Betances:

(picture)

Fastball: Betances is 18 years old. He is a big guy. He has yet to put a lot of muscle on his frame. He throws a 93-97 mph fastball, hitting 98, with nasty movement on it. He throws it with command and consistent mechanics. His fastball can do nothing but improve. Betances entered camp a raw talent, throwing 3-4 mph slower and with a mechanical delivery all over the place. The Yankees took him in and almost immediately corrected his flaws, resulting in a beautiful product.

Curveball: Betances throws a knuckle curve. He entered camp with a slight feel for it, but it was not much of a weapon. As would be a theme for Betances, this would change almost immediately. In less than two months, Betances transformed a pitch which he had little feel for in to a true plus pitch. His curveball is a strikeout weapon that sits in the low 80s.

Changeup: Yet again, Betances entered camp without much of a changeup. In fact, he entered camp barely knowing how to throw one. At least he had some experience with a curveball. With a little instruction, Betances was almost instantly able to throw a plus changeup, which compliments his fastball perfectly. He does not yet use it as a strikeout pitch, but that could change in the future.

Command: Betances entered camp with the typical "tall man syndrom", meaning that he had difficult repeating his delivery. That lasted about a week. To compare, it took Randy Johnson the better part of a half decade to do the same. That said, Betances is not 6'10". People tend to overestimate height, and I would say that Betances is more likely closer to 6'7" than 6'9". After that week of adjustment, Betances never let up. He was dominant.

Performance: Betances has a short pedigree in professional baseball. After signing, he tossed 23.1 innings (the Yankees limited his workload, as they do with a lot of 18 year olds), striking out 27, walking 7, and allowing just 3 earned runs (1.16 ERA). Betances did this following a 40+ inning high school performance where he struck out over 100. Why did he fall to us in the 8th round? Well, there are a few reasons. First off, no one thought that he would sign. Second, he pretty much said "If I am going to sign, it is only going to be with the Yankees". Third, he was not a three pitch pitcher prior to attending the Yankee camp. He tossed a live fastball and had little in terms of secondary pitches. This is a steal.

Ceiling: Betances has no ceiling. He is that good. If he can continue to stay mechanically clean and throw three plus pitches, he will be a success in this league. He is so young that he should be considered years ahead of schedule. He knows how to adjust. He quickly learned pitches, he quickly learned how to fix his mechanics, and he quickly learned how to attack hitters in professional baseball. Who does this remind me of? Phil Hughes.

this looks oddly familiar :lol:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#124 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Chach, I checked it out. Kennedy did in fact pitch in 2005. He pitched 117 innings in 2005 at USC with a 2.54 ERa and 158 Ks.

Get him up in Trenton already. Stop wasting his time, let him finish the season in AA and start next year in AAA so he will be ready to join the rotation in 2009 (by then Clemens will be gone, and maybe Pettitte and Moose as well). I know we have pitching depth, but this guy can be a big part of our rotation for a very long time so he takes precedence over other guys that are mainly stop gaps. Lets start moving him along, he is more than capable for dealing with AA.

I'm looking forward to Hughes / Betances / Wang / Chamberlain / Kennedy. Chamberlain as a #4, :rofl:

JOBA A NUMBER # 4 SP DAMN THAT IS SICK :)
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#125 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 10, 2007 5:58 am

Betances is probably my 2nd favorite Yankee prospect right now behind Tabata. He has the chance to be amazing.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#126 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 6:57 am

Phil Hughes (hamstring) will head to Tampa, Fla., today to begin rehab work at the Yankees' minor-league complex

:clap: :clap:
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#127 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Yea, I really don't get what they are waiting for. If there is a spot open then he sure is the guy to fill out based on his performance. AA will be cake for this guy and they should atleast try it out to see if it will work(which it will).

MISTERRRRRRRRRRRRRR KENNEDY...........KENNEDY
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#128 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 10, 2007 2:36 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:
Phil Hughes (hamstring) will head to Tampa, Fla., today to begin rehab work at the Yankees' minor-league complex

:clap: :clap:

And the best part is, you know who will be meeting him down there to work with him for 3 weeks? Roger Clemens. This can be an absolutely huge thing for Hughes' career, working with Clemens practically everyday for 3 weeks. Hughes has been compared to Clemens and has a VERY similar delivery. Hopefully Clemens shows him a thing or two, or perhaps more.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#129 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:36 pm

moocow007 wrote:Here's a blurb about Dellin Betances:

(picture)

That's from Pinstripe Potentials, right? I hate that site, they exagerrate everything. He probably hasn't even seen Dellin pitch. That goes for mostly all the prospects he writes scouting reports on.

I love Betances, he certainly is an exciting prospect. But I am not going to get too excited until he dominates Staten Island and then Tampa. When he starts to make Tampa his bitch, then I'll get excited. He's so tall and lanky that he is invariably going to have a tough time repeating his delivery.

That being said, he's got a Phil Hughes type ceiling. Nobody else in the farm system can make that claim.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#130 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 3:11 pm

A
Francisco Cervelli
(C) Cervelli was 1-2 with a double and two walks.

A
TIM BATTLE
(OF) Battle hit his first home run of the season Wednesday,
a three-run shot that put Tampa ahead 6-1. He added
a 2-run single later and ended with a season-high 5 RBI.
Battle has so much raw talent
:pray:

A
ACTION JACKSON
[color=red](OF) In Jackson
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#131 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Battle has so much raw talent, but it looks like it is going to waste because he has such a hard time making contract and he strikes out too much. :cry:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#132 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 3:57 pm

cmaff051 wrote:Battle has so much raw talent, but it looks like it is going to waste because he has such a hard time making contract and he strikes out too much. :cry:

keep the faith he's only 20 yrs. old :(
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#133 » by throwbackewing33 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Betances seems to be the second coming of Christ in that report. haha yea im very excited tho. Our farm has really turned around and our future looks bright. As guys like Damon and Matsui get older, you got Tabata and Battle coming in. Our future rotation looks insane! The best part is that is not even including Big O and Sanchez, Rasner, Desalvo. These guys could become huge trading pawns down the road. Rasner and Desalvo have some trade value right now and could net us a nice setup man
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#134 » by 34Celtic » Thu May 10, 2007 4:10 pm

throwbackewing33 wrote:Betances seems to be the second coming of Christ in that report. haha yea im very excited tho. Our farm has really turned around and our future looks bright. As guys like Damon and Matsui get older, you got Tabata and Battle coming in. Our future rotation looks insane! The best part is that is not even including Big O and Sanchez, Rasner, Desalvo. These guys could become huge trading pawns down the road. Rasner and Desalvo have some trade value right now and could net us a nice setup man

I strongly disagree. While I like Betances, and I think he is very good, I think Tabata is the second coming of Christ in this report.

:wizard:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#135 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:10 pm

throwbackewing33 wrote:Betances seems to be the second coming of Christ in that report. haha yea im very excited tho. Our farm has really turned around and our future looks bright. As guys like Damon and Matsui get older, you got Tabata and Battle coming in. Our future rotation looks insane! The best part is that is not even including Big O and Sanchez, Rasner, Desalvo. These guys could become huge trading pawns down the road. Rasner and Desalvo have some trade value right now and could net us a nice setup man

Well, Betances does have that kind of ceiling. He could be a consistent mid to hgh 90s pitcher with two plus pitches. He could have good command to go along with that. A definite ace to go along with Hughes if he fulfills that ceiling.

He really is one of the most exciting prospects in baseball. I absolutely cannot wait until he gets to Staten Island in June... that should be very exciting. Hopefully he can get 10-15 starts and then make a move to Tampa next year.

That's a best case scenario, though.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#136 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Thu May 10, 2007 5:09 pm

He really is one of the most exciting prospects in baseball. I absolutely cannot wait until he gets to Staten Island in June... that should be very exciting. Hopefully he can get 10-15 starts and then make a move to Tampa next year.

Living in Staten Island, I'm going to try to make it to all of this kid's starts. It's going to be very exciting.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#137 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:23 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:

Living in Staten Island, I'm going to try to make it to all of this kid's starts. It's going to be very exciting.

There hasn't been anything definitive about where Betances will be going, but I assume since he is being held out in extended Spring Training for this long, that they will have him skip Charleston, pitch in short season Staten Island, and if everything goes right, have him pitch in Tampa at the start of next year.
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#138 » by throwbackewing33 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:58 am

We need to draft a catcher in this next draft. Posada keeps chugging away but hes up there in age.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#139 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 1:28 am

Well we already think Hughes is the second coming, and Betances' ceiling is as high if not possibly higher...so...
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#140 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 11, 2007 1:31 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well we already think Hughes is the second coming, and Betances' ceiling is as high if not possibly higher...so...

Betances will probably throw harder. But Hughes command is better than Betances. So I disagree about Betances' having a higher ceiling.

Return to New York Yankees