Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#141 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 1:34 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's from Pinstripe Potentials, right? I hate that site, they exagerrate everything. He probably hasn't even seen Dellin pitch. That goes for mostly all the prospects he writes scouting reports on.

I love Betances, he certainly is an exciting prospect. But I am not going to get too excited until he dominates Staten Island and then Tampa. When he starts to make Tampa his bitch, then I'll get excited. He's so tall and lanky that he is invariably going to have a tough time repeating his delivery.

That being said, he's got a Phil Hughes type ceiling. Nobody else in the farm system can make that claim.

Repeating his delivery was his main, if not his only real issue when he was drafted. They spent a ton of time on that and his walk numbers were very good last year.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#142 » by cmaff051 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:25 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Repeating his delivery was his main, if not his only real issue when he was drafted. They spent a ton of time on that and his walk numbers were very good last year.

Can he consistenly repeat his delivery? Just because he did it for 30 innings at the start of his professional career doesn't mean he isn't going to have trouble repeating it down the line.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#143 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 4:00 am

Betances will probably throw harder. But Hughes command is better than Betances. So I disagree about Betances' having a higher ceiling.

Command is usually what comes last to a young pitcher, its mostly about raw stuff for these kids. Betances already has a better changeup and fastball than Hughes, and he isn't even in A ball yet. It will be all about the development of his curveball, and there is little reason to believe that it won't become a plus pitch in the future. He can have 3 plus pitches by the time he is in AA, which even Hughes didn't have. From there it will be all about command, but that isn't something that you can usually predict or project so we will have to wait and see. But because of his stuff, his ceiling can be as high (and some scouts feel even higher) than Hughes'.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#144 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 4:01 am

Can he consistenly repeat his delivery? Just because he did it for 30 innings at the start of his professional career doesn't mean he isn't going to have trouble repeating it down the line.

For a guy that struggled mightily to repeat his delivery for one outing before the draft, I'd say that repeating it successfully over 23 innings is a huge step in the right direction and shows great improvement.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#145 » by NYKnSTILL! » Fri May 11, 2007 3:45 pm

AA
EDWAR RAMIREZ
3IP, 2H, 0ER, 1BB and 8K
He now has 29 K in 14.7 IP. That is 17.8 K/9 IP.

What's funny is he can touch 94, 95 but is mostly in the 92 mph it's his his herky jerky type delivery that gets the batters confused at the plate, I know Goose would have loved him.

Regarding Ramirez--he's basically a two-pitch pitcher right now, FB and knee-buckling swing and miss change-up. They're working on a breaking ball for effect and command now but it needs work to command it. His wind up and delivery create problems for the hitters to pick the ball up off him. His FB will generally sit 92 mph with good late movement (both run and sink).

he's 26 yoa, 6'3"/thin build.

A
DANIEL MCCUTCHEN
7.0 IP 5 H 5 K 1.80 ERA

A
JOSUE CALZADO
2 - 4, 2 runs
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#146 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 4:30 pm

McCutchen has some serious potential, he's one of the more underrated pitchers in our system.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#147 » by NYKnSTILL! » Fri May 11, 2007 4:40 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:McCutchen has some serious potential, he's one of the more underrated pitchers in our system.

been meaning to ask you who has more upside McCutchen or Horne and why is it that I have heard very little about Eric Duncan when are the Yankees going to move him if this is the case, besides w/ Montero coming up I think it's time to think about moving Duncan before he burns out his back again.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#148 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri May 11, 2007 6:04 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

been meaning to ask you who has more upside McCutchen or Horne and why is it that I have heard very little about Eric Duncan when are the Yankees going to move him if this is the case, besides w/ Montero coming up I think it's time to think about moving Duncan before he burns out his back again.

I personally like McCutchen more, but I wouldn't argue with anybody that picks Horne. McCutchen is almost a year younger but he has 4 major league caliber pitches right now. They both throw a 4 seamer, 2 seamer, curve, and change but McCutchen has an advantage in pretty much every pitch. Horne may throw slightly harder but its not a noticeable difference, plus both have EXCELLENT command of not only their fastballs but their secondary stuff as well. I just feel that McCutchen is ahead of Horne's development as a pitcher and because of that I'll take him.

As for Eric Duncan, he won't be promoted until he proves he can handle minor league pitching. He didn't dominate AA and they moved him up, he sucked in AAA so he got sent back down. He spent the rest of last year in AA where he still didn't dominate, but they couldn't continue to hold him back so he is in AAA this year. Once he has a good week, he follows it up with a 1 for 12 stretch with 5 Ks. He is getting closer and closer to being a lost cause as a prospect, but he still has some time to make up for it. His chronic back problem doesn't bode well for a power hitter either.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#149 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sun May 13, 2007 3:45 am

Some lines from tonight...

Tyler Clippard - 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 BBs, 3 Ks - ERA down to 2.79
Joba Chamberlain - 5 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 4 BBs, 6 Ks - Still being limited because it is his 2nd start of the season, but dominant none the less
Jose Tabata - 1 for 3 with 1 run and 1 rbi and 1 double, his average is at an even .300
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#150 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 13, 2007 5:24 am

AAA
1B DUNCAN'S ON FIRE, BUT NOT THAT ONE
2 FOR 4 W/ 2 R 1 RBI 2B, HR(10) .340 AVG
He is now hitting .340 AVG 10 HR 25 RBI

AAA
C OMIR SANTOS
2 for 4 1 R, 1 RBI .286 AVG

AA
SP SOUND THE HORNE
A. Horne had a great night he pitched 6 inning's
he gave up 1 run - 0 earned runs - 2BB'S - 8 K's.
He lowered his ERA TO 2.65

TAMPA HAD A *DH TODAY

A
1B JUAN MIRANDA
Game 1 - 2 for 7 2 R, 2B, HR(3) .252 AVG
Game 2 - 1 for 2 2B

A
CF TIM BATTLE
Game 1- 3 for 7 2 2B
Game 2- 2 for 4 2B

A
RF JOSUE CALZADO
1 for 3 1 R 2B .339 AVG

A
C/3B KYLE ANSON
1 for 5 2 RBI, 2B .389

interesting story on Anson he was just changed into a C an has one heck of a gun for an arm it was rated quite well.

EST

17 yrs. old Jesus Montero had a 2 run double

17 yrs. old Carlos Urena had an rbi double, & a run scored

17 yrs. old Zoilo Almonte was 3-3 with a run scored

NYKGM where's my boy Abraham Almonte :x

P.S.

OF JOSE TABATA aka I'M TAKING SOMONE'S JOB SOON
Tabata went 2 for 5 in game 1 and 1 for 3
in game 2 raising his avg. to .303 Tabata
is hitting .341 in his last 10 games.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#151 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 13, 2007 5:43 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Some lines from tonight...

Tyler Clippard - 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 BBs, 3 Ks - ERA down to 2.79
Joba Chamberlain - 5 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 4 BBs, 6 Ks - Still being limited because it is his 2nd start of the season, but dominant none the less
Jose Tabata - 1 for 3 with 1 run and 1 rbi and 1 double, his average is at an even .300

JOBA ............aGGGGGHHHHH
0.00 ERA 0.78 WHIP
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#152 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sun May 13, 2007 5:51 am

I haven't heard any news on Almonte. I wouldn't worry, not much news comes out of EST anyway unless its important such as a player rehabbing as Joba was for some time. I just can't wait until short season ball starts next month so we can start tracking those guys' professional careers.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#153 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:I haven't heard any news on Almonte. I wouldn't worry, not much news comes out of EST anyway unless its important such as a player rehabbing as Joba was for some time. I just can't wait until short season ball starts next month so we can start tracking those guys' professional careers.

:nod:

I'm going to be like a shadow on Abraham Almonte :D
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#154 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sun May 13, 2007 6:12 am

Ivan Nova is going to Charleston. I really feel he will be a top 10 prospect in our farm system next year and maybe close to the top 5. He's one of my favorite prospects in our farm system and should be fun to watch develop even though he has come so far in such a short amount of time. Watch him go from unknown to potential front of the rotation starter in a matter of one season...starting very soon.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#155 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 13, 2007 6:14 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:Ivan Nova is going to Charleston. I really feel he will be a top 10 prospect in our farm system next year and maybe close to the top 5. He's one of my favorite prospects in our farm system and should be fun to watch develop even though he has come so far in such a short amount of time. Watch him go from unknown to potential front of the rotation starter in a matter of one season...starting very soon.

yeh how is he under the radar like that what was his scouting profile again I'm looking all over for it ?
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#156 » by cmaff051 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yeh how is he under the radar like that what was his scouting profile again I'm looking all over for it ?

http://yankees.scout.com/2/592773.html

Fastball. Nova was a projection signing that has developed sooner than people had anticipated. As pointed out by Nardi Contreras, in just two short seasons Nova has gone from throwing his fastball in the mid-to-upper 80's to comfortably sitting in the 91-94 MPH range. Nova, who just turned 20-years old on Thursday, possibly has even a bit more room to add some more velocity as he continues to mature.

Other Pitches. What makes Nova really special stuff-wise is his advanced changeup. His motion and delivery are the mirror image of his fastball, and able to spot it with incredible command, opposing batters have a hard time picking it up. He compliments his plus fastball and plus changeup with a curveball that has come a long way in a short period of time. Once considered a pitch that had plus potential, Nova has worked tirelessly on improving the command of his breaking ball and it became another plus pitch for him by the end of the year.

Pitching. While he certainly has the stuff to be a top pitching prospect in the very near future, what the Yankees love about him is his demeanor and approach. He is extremely confident on the mound and his loose throwing action and natural power should allow him to pitch deep into games, and perhaps even add a tick or two to his fastball in the coming years. At his size, he also pitches downhill and that can be very tough on opposing batters as well.<br>

Projection. Nova is a power arm with impeccable control, a bit of a rarity in baseball these days. In fact, his control thus far rivals even that of Tyler Clippard, and with his power stuff, that has many excited about Nova's potential. Nova didn't get ranked higher this year because of the depth of the Yankees farm system, but his overall game will put him in top prospect discussions real soon. He safely projects right now as a middle-of-the-rotation type of starter someday, but he also has a good shot at developing into something so much more if he can continue to prove his curveball will remain a plus pitch.

ETA. 2010. Nova should begin the 2007 season with the Charleston Riverdogs in the South Atlantic League. It remains to be seen if Nova will advance quickly because of the number of quality pitching prospects in front of him, but he should at least be on a one level per year track.

:droop: He's one of my favorite prospects because of the command that he has with his power stuff.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#157 » by cmaff051 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:52 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:
AA
SP SOUND THE HORNE
(picture)
A. Horne had a great night he pitched 6 inning's
he gave up 1 run - 0 earned runs - 2BB'S - 8 K's.
He lowered his ERA TO 2.65

What the **** did Nardi do to this guy? He couldn't find the plate last year, and now he's got impeccable command. Nardi is a genius. :nod:

A
CF TIM BATTLE
(picture)
Game 1- 3 for 7 2 2B
Game 2- 2 for 4 2B

I've lost all hope for Tim Battle... time to send him to the pitcher's mound.

17 yrs. old Jesus Montero had a 2 run double

17 yrs. old Carlos Urena had an rbi double, & a run scored

17 yrs. old Zoilo Almonte was 3-3 with a run scored

Finally some news on our GCL/ Xtended ST guys. We should see some more information over the next few weeks leading up to late June, when the GCL season starts.

OF JOSE TABATA aka I'M TAKING SOMONE'S JOB SOON
(picture)
Tabata went 2 for 5 in game 1 and 1 for 3
in game 2 raising his avg. to .303 Tabata
is hitting .341 in his last 10 games.

Trenton, here I come. :nod:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#158 » by cmaff051 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:06 pm

Angel Reyes pitches for Charleston today, at 2:30 PM EST.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#159 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 13, 2007 4:34 pm

I agree Nardi is a freekin' genius P.S. I'm waiting for Abraham Almonte's debut :x and YES I'M GETTING GIDDY W/ CLIP, NOVA NOW AFTER THAT ARTICLE, MR.KENNEDY, HORNE, JOBA :droop: AND BETANCES , WE STILL HAVE HUMBERTO NEXT YEAR COMING OFF TOMMY JOHN REMEMBER THAT ADDS VELOCITY,

Christian Garcia coming off Tommy John, Mark Malencon, , Zach McCallister yet to make his debut..... allow me to :droop:
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#160 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon May 14, 2007 12:08 am

Return to New York Yankees