ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#181 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 16, 2007 2:04 pm

cmaff051 wrote:Pinstripes Plus is speculating that Jesus Montero might skip the GCL all together and go straight to Short Season Staten Island. :nod:

wow that would mean the camp thinks he's the real deal :o
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#182 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 16, 2007 2:34 pm

speaking of rumors there are 2 I don't know which one to believe

Rumor # 1 - Ian Kennedy is going to be promoted

Rumor # 2 - Brett Smith is getting promoted

who ? Brett Smith he's 23 years old a Boras client

36.1 IP, 22 H, 1.24 ERA, 3 - 1, 0.94 WHIP 12 BB, 36 K
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#183 » by cmaff051 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Not that high on Brett Smith.. he's another Jeff Karstens.

I hope Kennedy gets promoted. If that means they have to send Brett Smith to AAA, than so be it. But I'd rather see Horne or Marquez in AAA.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#184 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 16, 2007 2:51 pm

whoa now the rumor is Clippard or Smith will pitch vs Mets :eek:

stay tuned ...........
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#185 » by cmaff051 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:55 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:whoa now the rumor is Clippard or Smith will pitch vs Mets :eek:

stay tuned ...........

Please Clippard. :nod: :nod:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#186 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 16, 2007 3:15 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Please Clippard. :nod: :nod:

I do want him to get the start but not this way, he starts vs the Mets then gets sent down , NL is a weak hitters league they are mostly small ball.

I'd go

#1 Alan Horne - give him a carrot to the MLB, 92 - 95 mph fastball, nasty stuff

#2 Brett Smith - same as Horne and he went 30 scoreless innings that should be rewarded that way the minor league players see well if I hold them down I can get called up too. I also like they added a splitter to his arsenal

#3 Steven Jackson - showcase and reward his progress

oh and # 4 Chase Wright - his progress and mindset is ready for the MLB and if he gets sent down he can improve from his last start
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#187 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed May 16, 2007 5:22 pm

I remember the reports that Montero was sucking in the Instructionals and that it was a cause for worry, but it turned out to be one minor flaw in his swing that was fixed rather quickly. Looks like he has turned it around and has put up great numbers in EST. If he is going to skip the GCL then obviously the Yankees love what they see considering how slow they take it with prospects.

Look at what the Mets did with Francisco Pena. Stuck him right in A ball at the age of 17, now he is hitting .250 with a .293 OBP and has just 3 extra base hits in 88 ABs (and only 2 RBI). I don't know what the Mets deal is with rushing their guys, but they're only going to mess them up. Much better off with a guy arriving one year too late than one year too early. Pena would've been MUCH better off focusing on his swing and fundamentals behind the plate in EST than worrying about real games, but hey its not our prospect.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#188 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Wed May 16, 2007 5:30 pm

I do want him to get the start but not this way, he starts vs the Mets then gets sent down , NL is a weak hitters league they are mostly small ball.

I'd go

#1 Alan Horne - give him a carrot to the MLB, 92 - 95 mph fastball, nasty stuff

#2 Brett Smith - same as Horne and he went 30 scoreless innings that should be rewarded that way the minor league players see well if I hold them down I can get called up too. I also like they added a splitter to his arsenal

#3 Steven Jackson - showcase and reward his progress

oh and # 4 Chase Wright - his progress and mindset is ready for the MLB and if he gets sent down he can improve from his last start

I agree I really don't like the idea of tossing Clippard into that atmosphere. I would like to see him up here at some point this season but this shouldn't be the game. I would go with Chase Wright to be honest.
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#189 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed May 16, 2007 5:33 pm

I think Clippard could handle, but that might just be because I've been a very big fan of his while ESPN and BA guys kill him time after time...yet every time he pitches he proves them wrong.
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#190 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 pm

I think Clippard could handle, but that might just be because I've been a very big fan of his while ESPN and BA guys kill him time after time...yet every time he pitches he proves them wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I think Clip could hang I would just be tentative about having him make his first start ever in the crazy atmosphere that is Mets vs. Yankees. It might be better to have a guy with a bit of MLB experience like Wright to pitch. I must admit that I am anxious to see the big Clip out there.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#191 » by NYKnSTILL! » Wed May 16, 2007 7:28 pm

AA
BRETT SMITH TODAY
8.0 IP 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K 1.22 ERA

Trenton's ERA is 2.23, Team WHIP is 1.06, K/IP is 9.28, and the K/BB ratio is 3.678

can we get some goddamn hitters up there they loss 2 - 1 in 10 innings :evil:
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#192 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 pm

ReggieFULLeffect wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think Clip could hang I would just be tentative about having him make his first start ever in the crazy atmosphere that is Mets vs. Yankees. It might be better to have a guy with a bit of MLB experience like Wright to pitch. I must admit that I am anxious to see the big Clip out there.

Yeah but lets not forget that Wright allowed 4 consecutive home runs, so his experience wasn't necessarily a good one. If anything his confidence won't be too high, I'd prefer Clippard.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#193 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 am

McCutchen: 7 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, ERA is now 1.97

nykgeneralmanager, what are your thoughts on McCutchen? His ceiling? He doesn't strike out many guys, his K/9 is a meager 6.5 right now.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#194 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 17, 2007 1:42 am

I remember discussing him last week when we were talking about him and Horne. I picked McCutchen because right now he has 2 plus pitches, his curve and change. He would have 3 because he commands his fastball perfectly, but he simply doesn't throw it hard enough. His ceiling probably isn't anything more than a back end rotation guy because his stuff isn't overpowering plus he doesn't strike many guys out. If you don't throw that hard and the opponents are always putting the ball in play, it isn't a great situation. I like to compare him to Clippard in a sense because of their repertoires and their amazing command, but Clippard at least has a K/9 rate over 9 for his career. That is why I think Clippard can be a middle of the rotation pitcher but McCutchen a 4 or 5. He'll always have good numbers in the minors but never project as a great prospect, similarly to Clippard.

Who do you like between Horne and McCutchen?
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#195 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:55 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:I remember discussing him last week when we were talking about him and Horne. I picked McCutchen because right now he has 2 plus pitches, his curve and change. He would have 3 because he commands his fastball perfectly, but he simply doesn't throw it hard enough. His ceiling probably isn't anything more than a back end rotation guy because his stuff isn't overpowering plus he doesn't strike many guys out. If you don't throw that hard and the opponents are always putting the ball in play, it isn't a great situation. I like to compare him to Clippard in a sense because of their repertoires and their amazing command, but Clippard at least has a K/9 rate over 9 for his career. That is why I think Clippard can be a middle of the rotation pitcher but McCutchen a 4 or 5. He'll always have good numbers in the minors but never project as a great prospect, similarly to Clippard.

Who do you like between Horne and McCutchen?

I don't know enough about McCutchen even with your bio, so by default I'll say Horne. I like his combination of power stuff, his command, and his groundball tendencies. His command has improved so much!!! It's exciting, I think he can be a legit middle of the rotation for us. Do you agree?
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#196 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 am

I don't know enough about McCutchen even with your bio, so by default I'll say Horne. I like his combination of power stuff, his command, and his groundball tendencies. His command has improved so much!!! It's exciting, I think he can be a legit middle of the rotation for us. Do you agree?

I agree Horne came out of nowhere w/ his command this year I'd like to see it first hand vs the Mets , I want Clippard up but not this way, I know Clip is better than ready but I want him to play up here for the season not 1 game and back.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#197 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 17, 2007 2:19 am

I'm hesitant to say Horne has too high of a ceiling, but thats probably just because his command has been such a surprise. McCutchen's success was more expected and he isn't a surprise at all, so I just feel that Horne has to continue to prove that this is no fluke. Even if he keeps it up, he would basically be a replica of McCutchen. They throw the same pitches with the same great command, and essentially the same speed on their fastballs. I don't think either could be more than a solid #4.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#198 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:39 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm hesitant to say Horne has too high of a ceiling, but thats probably just because his command has been such a surprise. McCutchen's success was more expected and he isn't a surprise at all, so I just feel that Horne has to continue to prove that this is no fluke. Even if he keeps it up, he would basically be a replica of McCutchen. They throw the same pitches with the same great command, and essentially the same speed on their fastballs. I don't think either could be more than a solid #4.

Horne has a 92-94 MPH plus fastball with a plus curveball, a good changeup, and a good slider, which was apparently his most consistent pitch in 2006.

And his groundball tendencies are much better than McCutchen, who gives up more flyballs than groundballs.

If Horne can keep this up, I think he's a better prospect than McCutchen. McCutchen doesn't have the ability to miss as many bats as Horne.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#199 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 17, 2007 2:46 am

If Horne keeps this up throughout the entire season, I'll be agreeing with you
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#200 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 17, 2007 2:56 am

Horne touchs 96 MPH and regularly hits 94 so I still say Horne has the stuff over anyone right now , except for Clip.

Return to New York Yankees