ImageImageImageImageImage

4/22/07 - Yankees @ RedSoxs 8:05 PM (Chase Wright start # 2)

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

NYStateofMind
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#121 » by NYStateofMind » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:43 am

Meanwhile, A-Rod's been confused all night.
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#122 » by KnickTerp12 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:43 am

Here we go
NYStateofMind
Lead Assistant

Post#123 » by NYStateofMind » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:43 am

Hold your breath people.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#124 » by HCYanks » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:44 am

Ah damn.

Poor ARod... he's gonna catch so much goddamn flack it's not even funny.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#125 » by TKF » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:45 am

well fellas.. we are 4 games behind the sox..... very early in the season. we need to get healthy, wang will be back tuesday and we need to get mussina back... they have to come to the bronx.... their starters got hit hard and they were down every game..... they swept us, but believe me we are still the better team... they had to fire all their guns to beat pettite who they couldn't touch and 2 double A pitchers...
NYStateofMind
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by NYStateofMind » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:45 am

Damn. Well, good games all around this weekend, thankfully we have a chance at redemption next weekend, and hopefully we can regain our composure in the upcoming games against the D-Rays.
AGGiE
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#127 » by AGGiE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 am

OH My, 2morrows papers will be all about ARod not coming through... He will get boo'd again in Yankee Stadium.. I wonder how many times ESPN will replay ARod's groundout..
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#128 » by cmaff051 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 am

Oh well. We lost. We got our man we wanted up.. he just didn't come through. But if it wasn't for Arod, we'd be absolutely awful this year.

Oh well. We'll get them the other 15 times we face them and we will win the division... ONCE AGAIN.
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer

Post#129 » by KnickTerp12 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 am

Obviously it sucks to get swept but we didn't get outplayed. We played hard but we had no pitching and the result is what you'd expect.

ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#130 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:56 am

Next weekend will be a completely different story don't worry. One at full strength, the sky'sthe limit for this team.
"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
Jitpal
General Manager

Post#131 » by Jitpal » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:50 am

The only silver lining in this whole thing is, we have proved that Bostons' aces are anything but. Schilling is solid at best, Beckett is what he was last year and Matsuzaka is very hittable with proper preparation and good ABs. -Jitpal
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#132 » by xNewYorkMadex » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:24 am

So we get swept by the Red Sox

Im honestly not really mad at getting swept.The good thing is that its still April.And we trailed the Red Sox for most of the season last year so it aint the end of the world.

One thing that im happy about is that we had 2 rookie pitchers going up in this series going up against the Red Sox 3 top pitchers and we still had a real chance to win all 3 games.Since we did have Karstens and Wright pitching then they got rocked.If we had better pitchers on the mound i feel the outcome wouldve been different.

Schiling,Beckett and Dice-K did not impress me.They all gave up 5 r more runs i believe and struggled.If we can get our pitching back in order and healthy then its hello 1st place one again

Cant wait till this upcoming weekend
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Chach » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:44 am

Red Sox fan here *Avoids thrown objects* Good series by both sides and just wanted to give you guys some respective prespective from our side.

The Sox really seem to be running at about 70% right now. It honestly reminds me a bit of how the Yankees have played the past few years. The Sox always seem to win those early series and then by June, the Yankees put it into overdrive and just roll away with the division. The Sox seem to be resembling that thus far (I'm just going to have to hope for the steamrolling part to come about as well). While our aces were pitching, they didn't really have their best stuff. Schilling is better than Friday night, I actually thought Beckett pitched well Saturday but got a few bad bounces and made some bad pitches, and aside from the first inning and that superflous A-Rod AB in the 8th, I thought Dice-K pitched fairly well considering this was his first time against the Yanks. I expect Schilling and Dice-K to pitch better next time around. Beckett has the stuff to be an ace but I just don't think he matches up well against the Yankees. He doesn't have pinpoint control so he falls behind your patient hitters and then gets slammed. We'll see.

As an outsider, the only major weakness I see on this team is the pitching/health of the rotation. Obviously you guys aren't going to win with Wright/Karstens trotting out there all the time but within a few weeks, that won't be an issue with Wang and Mussina being back. That being said, even with a healthy rotation, I worry about that bullpen. I thought they had, at minimum, an above average pen going into the year. And with Proctor and Henn pitching better than I expected, I think they might have one of the better pens in baseball. However, those are going to be some awfully dead arms come June if your starters don't get healthy and start eating a lot of innings. I expect the rotation to get healthier and more productive and I don't expect the Yankees to tally up 600 bullpen innings but, if I were on your side, I would worry a bit about that bullpen usage.

The only other thing I worry about is Rivera's vunerability to the Sox. I heard a writer from New York talking on the radio before Saturday's game and he made an interesting point. While Rivera has been truly great, he's basically been a one trick pony much of his career. Now, for most teams, that's not an issue because they only see him a handful of times each year and they simply can't master that marvelous one trick. But the Sox, they've seen him quite a bit. Most of the games are close so while Tampa Bay may see him 3-4 times a year tops, we see him 8-9 times a year the past three to four years AND all those extra playoff games. And the writer said it's not that the Sox hitters are better than anyone else but they simply have seen him more and have adapted to his cutter. He will still probably have a fantastic year but I am not as deathly afraid of him as I once was and I don't think Sox players are either.

For the record, the radar gun was juiced tonight. I saw Dice-K strike a guy out at 97 on ESPN but they showed the centerfield electric scoreboard that shows the radar readin and it was only 94. So if you knock 3 MPH off his fastball, that's basically where Dice-K has been all season. And Papelbon DEFINATELY doesn't throw 99, 97 is the fastest I've seen. And I think Yankee hitters have every right to fear his fastball because he is absolutely dominant when he's healthy and rested. His shoulder started to weaken in August and he gave up 3 run in two games over a week in mid-August. Kid has an ERA around .50 for much of the season and has yet to give up one yet. He's legit. I think the "He's our Mo" stuff might be a bit premature but I have all the confidence in the world in him tonight even though he had pitched 4 times in five days. He's something. mahalo
~Chach~
ReggieFULLeffect
Senior

Post#134 » by ReggieFULLeffect » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:01 am

I agree with you on everything but Schilling. I think Friday night is a good representation of what is going to happen to him almost everytime he faces a really good hitting team like the Yankees. He got hit around last year and he's been giving up hits in bunches this year despite getting his K's which he always does.

Beckett will give the same outings each time against us and I do think Dice-K will do much better in the future against the Yankees. He made some damn good hitters look like minor leaguers tonight with that splitter.

All in all ---- the Yankees are not even close to being at full strength and everyone knows it. Once this team shapes up the way it was supposed to in March, it will get much more interesting with Boston. And I hope no one thinks the Yanks are going to have a 10 game lead on the Sox either by the end of the season.

"It's just like the feminists. They want everything equal but when the check comes, where are they?"- George Costanza
AGGiE
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#135 » by AGGiE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:00 am

Image :noway:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#136 » by cmaff051 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:09 pm

The Red Sox were at more of a full strength at the Boston Massacre than the Yankees were during this 3 game sweep. It's not even close either.

Return to New York Yankees