BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod 

Post#1 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 pm

Buster Olney just reported it on ESPN, so no link as of now. Basically, the Yankees are going against what they usually do and will begin contract negotiations with ARod before he can opt out. However, there is a good reason. If ARod opts out and the Yankees re-sign him anyway, then the $16 million a year that Texas has been paying for him gets washed away. So if the Yankees extend him before he opts out, we will still receive that money from Texas through 2010. There's that, and the fact that he is going to be carrying this team offensively for the foreseeable future.

Funny how in spring training Mo and Po were told they'll have to wait until the offseason, because "That is how the Yankees do it." ARod is just too important to lose at this point, and the Yanks have the perfect excuse (the money from Texas). I really don't care how they go about it, just keep ARod in pinstripes until he retires.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#2 » by xNewYorkMadex » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:05 pm

That is great.

Best news ive heard for a while now
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
Starksfor3
RealGM
And1: 902

Post#3 » by Starksfor3 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Re-sign Mo and Po, too. All three of these guys have been great this year (well Mo has after the initial struggles).
jwhoops202
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by jwhoops202 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:25 pm

This is great news. I am glad that this is going to happen
AGGiE
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#5 » by AGGiE » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:46 pm

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 pm

I can't wait until people get upset about the Yankees bending the rules for ARod. Why should he fall under the rules? Let's not forget, it's not as if he is a "true Yankee." :rofl: I love when the media gets a taste of its own medicine.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#7 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:05 pm

This is ridiculous. Arod is not above the team. If they are going to be bending the rules for Arod, they better give extensions to Mo and Posada during the season also.

I hate this.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:08 pm

cmaff051 wrote:This is ridiculous. Arod is not above the team. If they are going to be bending the rules for Arod, they better give extensions to Mo and Posada during the season also.

I hate this.

They are not bending rules, it has to do witht he money from Texas. If they wait for him to opt out then sign him, they lose out on $16 million a year from Texas. Big difference paying a guy $14 mil and $30 mil for 3 seasons. Even for the Yankees that matters.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Look at it this way (assuming ARod would get a 6 year deal worth $180 million if he opted out).

If we wait for him to opt out:
2008: $30 mil
2009: $30 mil
2010: $30 mil
2011: $30 mil
2012: $30 mil
2013: $30 mil
Obviously those wouldn't be the exact numbers, but you get the point

If we extend him before he can opt out:
2008: $16 mil (Texas kicks in about $11 mil)
2009: $16 mil (Texas kicks in about $11 mil)
2010: $16 mil (Texas kicks in about $11 mil)
2011: $30 mil
2012: $30 mil
2013: $30 mil

So are the Yankees bending the rules? Or are the Yankees being fiscally responsible? I say the latter. Or just bending the rules IN ORDER TO be fiscally responsible. Either way, I would agree with them 100%.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:32 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They are not bending rules, it has to do witht he money from Texas. If they wait for him to opt out then sign him, they lose out on $16 million a year from Texas. Big difference paying a guy $14 mil and $30 mil for 3 seasons. Even for the Yankees that matters.

If he opts out, then we shouldn't resign him. That's it. If Arod wants to opt out at the end of the season, then CYA LATER Arod. That's a good sign that he doesn't want to be here and really, I am hoping the Yankees have no interest in giving him $25 mil a year if he opts out. Let the Angels pay him that, the Yankees have a good deal right now with Arod (with the Texas money) but if we can't use that Texas money anymore than we should just forget about Arod.

The biggest person who should be pissed about this is Mo.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by PR07 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:27 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We can't afford to lose ARod. This may be breaking our own rules, but losing ARod would be a devastating blow.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:42 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If he opts out, then we shouldn't resign him. That's it. If Arod wants to opt out at the end of the season, then CYA LATER Arod. That's a good sign that he doesn't want to be here and really, I am hoping the Yankees have no interest in giving him $25 mil a year if he opts out. Let the Angels pay him that, the Yankees have a good deal right now with Arod (with the Texas money) but if we can't use that Texas money anymore than we should just forget about Arod.

The biggest person who should be pissed about this is Mo.

Great attitude. :roll:

If ARod opted out, it would have as much to do with him getting his last big payday as it would with his desire to play elsewhere. You can't just say "He opted out, he doesn't want to be here." If he didn't opt out, he wouldn't land a huge contract at the age of 35/36. This is his last chance to land an enormous contract. Why hold that against him? The opt out clause is in his contract, he isn't breaking any rules. You can sit there and say that he doesn't NEED more than what he is making now, which is true, but if he can get it, then do it. I'd do the same thing, and so would anybody else in this world.

It is in his best interest to opt out and cash in, especially with this historic season he is having. And it is in the best interest of the organization to prevent that from happening.

You're talking as if ARod owes this franchise or us fans anything. He has been treated like absolute ****, by Steinbrenner, by Torre, by Jeter, and by 90% of the fan base. If he wants to get paid, I'm all for it. The Yankees just have to make sure it comes from Steinbrenner's bank account, and nobody else's.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#13 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:46 pm

PacersRule07 wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

We can't afford to lose ARod. This may be breaking our own rules, but losing ARod would be a devastating blow.

If Arod wants $30 million, then yes we can afford to lose Arod.

Arod is not worth $30 mil a year. Nobody but Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds in their prime is.

Does anybody remember 2004 and 2006 when Arod was good, but he wasn't great? Who is to say that that won't happen for the rest of his contract?

I am not a big fan of giving Arod $30 million a year, two players valued at $15 million a year are more valuable than Arod at $30.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#14 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Great attitude. :roll:

If ARod opted out, it would have as much to do with him getting his last big payday as it would with his desire to play elsewhere. You can't just say "He opted out, he doesn't want to be here." If he didn't opt out, he wouldn't land a huge contract at the age of 35/36. This is his last chance to land an enormous contract. Why hold that against him? The opt out clause is in his contract, he isn't breaking any rules. You can sit there and say that he doesn't NEED more than what he is making now, which is true, but if he can get it, then do it. I'd do the same thing, and so would anybody else in this world.

It is in his best interest to opt out and cash in, especially with this historic season he is having. And it is in the best interest of the organization to prevent that from happening.

You're talking as if ARod owes this franchise or us fans anything. He has been treated like absolute ****, by Steinbrenner, by Torre, by Jeter, and by 90% of the fan base. If he wants to get paid, I'm all for it. The Yankees just have to make sure it comes from Steinbrenner's bank account, and nobody else's.

Great attitude? Are you kidding me, what has Arod done for this team? He's given away more than he's given us. You act like he is some great Yankee like Mo, Jeter or Posada. He isn't. He was downright dreadful last year and was only average in 2004. He is going to be paid like an elite player, but he certainly wasn't an elite player here in 2004 and 2006.

What does he owe Steinbrenner? Steinbrenner is the one who approved the deal for him to come here when he negotiated his **** of a deal with Texas. He saved him from playing for 80-90 loss teams in Texas. Steinbrenner doesn't owe him anything.

It's in Arod's best interest to opt out, but it's not in our best interest.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:50 pm

[quote="cmaff051"][/quote]
If we keep him in a Yankee uniform, he isn't getting anything less than $25 million. It would be very foolish to not just give in and throw another $5 mil in there per season. The guy is way too good. We have no power in our lineup anymore with the exit of Sheff and the demise of Giambi, plus the power that never developed for Matsui. ARod is the Yankees offense for now and until his contract is up. You can't let that get away.

You can sit here and say he isn't worth $30 million, but the truth is you won't get a player that can put up numbers remotely close to his for anything less than $20 million. If we can give Jeter over $20 mil, Giambi over $20 mil, if Ichiro can make $20 mil, then give ARod his damn 30.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,058

Post#16 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:51 pm

If Arod wants $30 million, then yes we can afford to lose Arod.

Arod is not worth $30 mil a year. Nobody but Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds in their prime is.

Does anybody remember 2004 and 2006 when Arod was good, but he wasn't great? Who is to say that that won't happen for the rest of his contract?

I am not a big fan of giving Arod $30 million a year, two players valued at $15 million a year are more valuable than Arod at $30.

Ichiro is about to get 20 million a year, your telling me that A-Rod really wont get 30 million a year? Right now he is everything for the Yankees, they cant afford to lose him. Plus like NYKGM has been saying the money from Texas makes all the difference in the world. Without that money that it becomes a second thought, with the money its a full go.
Jazz:
Robinson l Vucevic
Carter l Da Silva l Prosper
Wagner l Jaquez l Grimes
Booker l Allen l Strawther
McConnell l Pritchard
Stashes: Djurisic, Klintman, Petrusev
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Great attitude? Are you kidding me, what has Arod done for this team? He's given away more than he's given us. You act like he is some great Yankee like Mo, Jeter or Posada. He isn't. He was downright dreadful last year and was only average in 2004. He is going to be paid like an elite player, but he certainly wasn't an elite player here in 2004 and 2006.

What does he owe Steinbrenner? Steinbrenner is the one who approved the deal for him to come here when he negotiated his **** of a deal with Texas. He saved him from playing for 80-90 loss teams in Texas. Steinbrenner doesn't owe him anything.

It's in Arod's best interest to opt out, but it's not in our best interest.

How exactly has ARod given away more than he has given us? Two MVP awards in 4 seasons here (assumption, of course) and in those two "bad" years he provided 36 homers and 114 RBI on average, as well as 22 SB on average and a line of .288/.384/.518. If Jeter, Matsui, Posada, Giambi, or Sheff put up those numbers they would be dubbed MVP candidates. When ARod did it, he was holding this franchise back. And the fact that you even used the word dreadful to describe him is just laughable.

Who are you planning on replacing him with? I'm just curious. Keeping ARod is an absolute must for this franchise, whether it means giving him $30 million or not. There is no such thing as a star player for any less than $20 million anymore.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod 

Post#18 » by DakkaFromNyc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:
Funny how in spring training Mo and Po were told they'll have to wait until the offseason, because "That is how the Yankees do it." .

I just hope we can also keep these 2 players and they wont get mad if ARod does get the rules bent.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Yanks to start negotiating with A-Rod 

Post#19 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:00 am

DakkaFromNyc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I just hope we can also keep these 2 players and they wont get mad if ARod does get the rules bent.

It wouldn't be fair for them to hold ARod responsible. He has never asked the Yankees to discuss his contract now, it would be the Yankees coming to him. If anything they should take it out on Cashman.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#20 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:00 am

If we keep him in a Yankee uniform, he isn't getting anything less than $25 million. It would be very foolish to not just give in and throw another $5 mil in there per season. The guy is way too good. We have no power in our lineup anymore with the exit of Sheff and the demise of Giambi, plus the power that never developed for Matsui. ARod is the Yankees offense for now and until his contract is up. You can't let that get away.

You can sit here and say he isn't worth $30 million, but the truth is you won't get a player that can put up numbers remotely close to his for anything less than $20 million. If we can give Jeter over $20 mil, Giambi over $20 mil, if Ichiro can make $20 mil, then give ARod his damn 30.

That's not how businesses should work. "Well, I made one mistake, so it's ok if I make another".

Arod hasn't performed like an elite player here for 2 out of his 4 years here. When he goes into a slump next year, is he going to be affected like he always is when the fans boo?

Return to New York Yankees