ImageImageImageImageImage

The Oakland A's

Moderator: HMFFL

Mischa
Junior
And1: 169

The Oakland A's 

Post#1 » by Mischa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 pm

I am enjoying watching the season the Oakland A's are having. At the end of May, they were 29-29. Since then, they are 61 -32. As you know, they typically have the smallest payroll in baseball, although this year they are the 3rd lowest (The Devil rays spend $68M, The White Sox $72M, and the A's $80M. For reference, 12 teams are over $150M, 6 of whom spend over $180M. The Red Sox spend $205M). They usually lose 2-3 of the best players to FA each offseason, and they cobble together a lineup in the Spring. Hence, the slow starts. But most seasons, they come roaring back to make the playoffs. This year, they actually went out at the trading deadline and picked up some relief pitchers.

I love the book "Moneyball” although I don't like some of the in game guidelines of the theory. However, in terms of evaluating players and putting together a lineup, it is amazing. The biggest mistake Billy Beane made was participating in the book, and giving his formula away. Now, the Red Sox and others are following his theories with a much, much higher payroll.

Anyway, I enjoy watching them whenever their young teams catch fire in July and end up making the playoffs. It looks like they will have a one-game Wild Card playoff against the Yankees. I will be pulling hard for the A's, and then I'll enjoy watching them go head-to-head with the Red Sox in Round 1 of the playoffs.
Going hard with a new lease on life!
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: The Oakland A's 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Mischa wrote:I am enjoying watching the season the Oakland A's are having. At the end of May, they were 29-29. Since then, they are 61 -32. As you know, they typically have the smallest payroll in baseball, although this year they are the 3rd lowest (The Devil rays spend $68M, The White Sox $72M, and the A's $80M. For reference, 12 teams are over $150M, 6 of whom spend over $180M. The Red Sox spend $205M). They usually lose 2-3 of the best players to FA each offseason, and they cobble together a lineup in the Spring. Hence, the slow starts. But most seasons, they come roaring back to make the playoffs. This year, they actually went out at the trading deadline and picked up some relief pitchers.

I love the book "Moneyball” although I don't like some of the in game guidelines of the theory. However, in terms of evaluating players and putting together a lineup, it is amazing. The biggest mistake Billy Beane made was participating in the book, and giving his formula away. Now, the Red Sox and others are following his theories with a much, much higher payroll.

Anyway, I enjoy watching them whenever their young teams catch fire in July and end up making the playoffs. It looks like they will have a one-game Wild Card playoff against the Yankees. I will be pulling hard for the A's, and then I'll enjoy watching them go head-to-head with the Red Sox in Round 1 of the playoffs.

The rotation may prevent them from making a real playoff run. Lots of injuries there. I'd guess the rotation would be something like, Fiers - Cahill - Jackson, assuming Cahill is able to make it back from his injury. The bullpen has depth though, so long as a pitcher is able to string a few innnings together, they could withstand it for a game, at least.

They'll probably try to address the rotation in the winter.

Return to Oakland Athletics