ImageImageImageImageImage

Spring Training/Predictions

Moderator: HMFFL

Fola314
Sophomore
And1: 25

Spring Training/Predictions 

Post#1 » by Fola314 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:26 pm

So we are like 14-4 so far in Spring training, and guys have been hitting. Any chance any of this translates to the regular season? I had us pegged for 3rd/4th behind the Rangers and Angels, still do, but this spring training is giving me false hope. Sizemore ACL sucks donkey balls.

I think we would need career years from our hitters and overachieving from our pitchers to contend for a playoff spot. I tend to be optimistic about the pitching and pessimistic about our hitting just from experience.

Anyway, I know there isn't any activity on this forum, but my thoughts on what I'd like the lineup to be:

2B Weeks
SS Pennington
RF Reddick
CF Cespedes
1B Allen/Barton
DH Gomes (vs lefties)/Kila
C Suzuki
LF Cowgill
3B Sogard

Subs: Crisp, Smith, Timmons, Donaldson, Recker, Rosales, Kila

Yea I don't like Crisp. I mean if we are "rebuilding" I'd rather see if Cowgill can play, and Crisp can be a pinch runner/defensive sub until we trade him. Whats the point of giving Crisp a million at bats on a losing team. Even if Cespedes is a bust, I'd rather start Cowgill in CF and Smith in LF.

Pitchers:
1. McCarthy
2. Ross
3. Milone
4. Colon
5. Godfrey
until Braden gets back

Closer: Balfour
Setup: Fautino DLS
Other: Fuentes, Blevins, Figueroa, Doolittle, Carignan, Norberto

Idk if thats 25 players or 30 or whatever. I think we will win 80 games and finish 3rd :(
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Re: Spring Training/Predictions 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 am

I'm excited for the season as usual. The problem is that we lack the talent to compete with the rest of our division and it's probably going to end up being a long season for us.

We have some young talent that should make the season more interesting. Cespedes is going to start at CF when we play overseas so we'll get to see what he does early on.

The win total for us is set at 72.5 and we won 74 last season.
Fola314
Sophomore

Post#3 » by Fola314 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Well we went from having Anderson, Gio, Cahill, Braden and McCarthy to having just McCarthy to start this season. So you would have to expect the pitching to be worse though generally I expect the A's to develop good pitching, they always seem to be able to replace starting pitching.

I wouldn't expect much from the series in Japan, I hope we comeback at least 1-1. Up against Felix in game 1 and with Ichiro its going to be like home games for the Mariners. Who knows though, I am excited to watch.

I am kind of confused by Beane this offseason. Trades Gio and Cahill (and Bailey) for prospects signaling a rebuild season, which is fine. I like the guys we got in both trades, and I'm not really a believer in Cahill, love Gio tho.

But I feel like Beane can't help himself, he wants to keep trying to recreate low salary division winning teams we had in the early 2000s and 06. Instead of letting the prospects get some major league ABs, he signs Gomes and Smith for cheap and resigns Crisp. And then he does the same thing he's done the last several seasons, try to recreate Frank Thomas at DH by signing Manny.

I think Beane looks at the Angels signing Pujols for 10yrs 250mil or whatever and laughs and then says "I'm going to sign ManRam, pay him 40 times less than Pujols per season, and try to get = production." I really think he can't stop himself from trying to win and make everyone else look stupid, and for the last few seasons its been frustrating, just seems like we never fully commit to rebuild.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Yoenis Cespedes clubbed a go-ahead two-run homer in Thursday's win over the Mariners.
Fola314
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Fola314 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Yep, glad we got a win, too bad we couldn't get the 1st game!! Very excited about Cespedes and Reddick in our outfield this season. We went from having an outfield who could only hit singles to an outfield that hopefully will produce 40hrs between those two guys. Too early to judge anyone yet tho, the offense wasn't able to get to either Felix or Vargas. Happy with McCarthy and Colon's performances, but it was the Mariners offense so...yea also too early to judge

BTW Crisp batting 3rd??? :nonono: He either needs to bat 1st/2nd or in the bottom of the lineup
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:38 am

I really like Cespedes. My only problem is that I think his stay with us will very short lived, but that goes for most of our talent that ends up being All-Star caliber, so I never get too attached to any of our players.

Return to Oakland Athletics