Powell has promise, needs good health

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Powell has promise, needs good health 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Rehabilitating a torn knee ligament is challenging enough the first time; having to do so twice in three years simply seems cruel.

A's catcher Landon Powell, who lost the entire 2005 season to a torn left anterior cruciate ligament, suffered the same injury July 3 and had a full reconstruction of his left knee a week later.

Now, seven months after having a cadaver ligament placed in his knee, things are starting to brighten up for Powell.

"Everything is pretty good," he said. "The knee, especially, feels great."

Despite all the time lost due to injury, Powell has progressed well through the Minor Leagues when he's been healthy. Prior to last year's injury, he hit .292 with 11 home runs in 60 games at Double-A Midland and slugged three home runs in four games with Triple-A Sacramento.

Powell has also been strong behind the plate, throwing out 75 of 145 basestealers (52 percent) over the last two seasons.

Given his strong performance when healthy, Powell has found the repeated setbacks frustrating, to say the least.

"Every day I miss is one day shorter my career will be," Powell said. "Almost having my career ended two separate times, I definitely learned to value the game."

Powell had been healthy throughout high school and college, so dealing with major surgeries was a new experience for him.

"After doing it twice, I feel like I can do surgery on myself," he said.

Link
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by TSC25 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:24 am

The injuries have been a big setback to a kid with promise.

Return to Oakland Athletics