Chavez gearing toward Opening Day

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Chavez gearing toward Opening Day 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Eric Chavez seemed pretty comfortable for a guy who had just emerged from a lengthy soak in an ice bath.

Coming off three offseason surgeries, the face of the A's franchise spoke with optimism Tuesday about his rehabilitation and the upcoming season.

Chavez had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder Sept. 5 and microdiscectomy surgery on his back Oct. 9. While those operations were something Chavez had contemplated after the 2007 season, the third surgery was unexpected.

Chavez said he experienced occasional discomfort in his left shoulder after landing awkwardly diving for a ball "three or four" years ago in Spring Training, but he had always been able to play through the pain.

But while doing rehabilitation exercises after his right shoulder surgery, Chavez found that his left shoulder wasn't doing as well as his right one, and he had it checked out.

"There was a pretty significant tear, almost as significant as the right shoulder," Chavez said, and that led to a left shoulder debridement surgery Oct. 16.

"Two surgeries I was OK with," Chavez said. "When I heard about the third one, I was kind of waving the white flag a little bit."

Fortunately, Chavez said he's coming along nicely and has been performing all manner of baseball activities at the complex he built at his home in Paradise Valley, Ariz.

"For the last month, I've been doing everything," Chavez said.

Link
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Do you believe if Chavez can stay healthy he's going to be moved this season?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 am

That's a huge IF.

He'd have to have a monster season to be moved I think... otherwise the A's FO has to be praying that he just stays healthy all year.
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by TSC25 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:27 am

Well we better find a kid that can take over at 3B b4 we trade him.

Return to Oakland Athletics